Tinfoil_Man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was answering a question in Numeracy practice test 2 online about mode, median and range. One of the questions asks:

True or False? Some pupils in the class scored less than 12%
From the table the data states the RANGE = 60%. The MEDIAN = 50% and the MODE=72%

The answer is then given as FALSE. And the reasoning is : The mode is 72%, meaning at least one pupil got 72% The range minus the mode = the minimum score. 72-60 = 12% So no pupil scored below 12%

My issue is that the MODE is surely the 'most popular' score. So in fact pupils could have scored above or below this mark. So the range could span from 40% to 100% or 20%-80% etc My only clue is the median (middle value) is 50% So could I say that 30% above and 30% below is the 60% range? Or is this incorrect visualisation?

Please note I have dyslexia, so tend to see things differently to other people. Can anyone explain where I'm going wrong?
Lex1985
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If that's the question
The answer can not be true (as there's not enough information)

Did it tell you the number of students?

Mode is the most occurring answer
Median - middle number if all written out in a incremental fashion
Mean - add them all up and divide by number if values

Range - top number - lowest value
Nothing says 72 is the highest value

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The answer is false. Assume that the highest mark is the mode - 72. If the range is 60, 72-60 = 12, the lowest possible scorw. Of course people could have scored more, meaning that the lowest would be higher than 12 but couldn't be lower than it
justanotherposter
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's right although the justification isn't well explained. The mode is the most popular score, however for someone to have got less than 12% with a range of 60% then the maximum value must be less than 72% (for example if the lowest score was 11% then the maximum score would be 71%,) as at least one person has got 72% since it is the mode, therefore it is impossible for there to be a score of less than 12%, otherwise the range would be more than 60%.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (100)
27.17%
England (123)
33.42%
Belgium (29)
7.88%
Germany (40)
10.87%
Spain (8)
2.17%