Work Experience - Veterinary

Watch this thread
megan98
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
For things such as volunteering on a dairy farm, helping out at lambing time how many days/ weeks would universities want you to gain?
Other than lambing time and volunteering at a dairy farm what other farm work is preferable?
If anyone can suggest any volunteering (that is not on the requirements) that universities favour i would be grateful
Thank you!
TheMilkyScotsman
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I think a week or two on both a dairy farm and lambing would be sufficient, I've done about 4 weeks on a couple of farms lambing and I'm fortunate enough to be from a dairy farm.

I'd say going to a pig farm for a week would be worthwhile, I did it and learned alot from that. I'd say that would do in the way of farm work, you wouldn't see much on a beef farm that you wouldn't see on a dairy farm anyway. I'd recommend a day at a slaughter house as well, I see your from down glasgow way so I know its probably too far from you but I went to the one at Turriff and they were quite happy to let me follow round the vet for a day.

Edinburgh and Glasgow don't really have a minimum but just make sure you have a fairly broad coverage of things, I did lambing, pig, stables and quite a few weeks at my local vets. I'd say aim for about 12 weeks all together, that's what I did and I've just got a place at Glasgow anyway. I'm sure everyone who applies is different but the more the better. I take it you must be 4th year if you're born in 98 so you've get plenty time.
SilverstarDJ
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by megan98)
For things such as volunteering on a dairy farm, helping out at lambing time how many days/ weeks would universities want you to gain?
Other than lambing time and volunteering at a dairy farm what other farm work is preferable?
If anyone can suggest any volunteering (that is not on the requirements) that universities favour i would be grateful
Thank you!
Where do you want to apply?

I did lambing (1 week), dairying (1 week) and pigs (1 week) and got interviewed everywhere I applied (Notts, Liverpool. RVC and Cambridge - my work exp profile is available on my online profile). Alongside this you need other things such as equine work (e.g. stables), small animals (e.g. cattery/kennels), large and small animal vets.

Other farm animal that you might want to do include pigs and poultry, but I know not all areas of the country would have pigs and some poultry farmers aren't keen on students - in any case I'd only go to a poultry farm for a few days as there isn't much to do.
megan98
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by SilverstarDJ)

Where do you want to apply?

I did lambing (1 week), dairying (1 week) and pigs (1 week) and got interviewed everywhere I applied (Notts, Liverpool. RVC and Cambridge - my work exp profile is available on my online profile). Alongside this you need other things such as equine work (e.g. stables), small animals (e.g. cattery/kennels), large and small animal vets.

Other farm animal that you might want to do include pigs and poultry, but I know not all areas of the country would have pigs and some poultry farmers aren't keen on students - in any case I'd only go to a poultry farm for a few days as there isn't much to do.
I want to apply to Glasgow and possibly Edinburgh university in october of this year. I've left volunteering on farms to last because of my age certain places don't let me volunteer, i just hope have a balanced and lengthy amount of time for farm work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (227)
42.27%
The paper was reasonable (229)
42.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
8.94%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
6.15%

Watched Threads