Dwittyy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there!

I'm currently taking my GCSEs and need to choose which A Levels to take. I am hoping to study Philosophy at Cambridge if I can, so I'm trying to make sure I choose the most appropriate A Levels.

My current thoughts are to take Maths, Physics and Philosophy. However, I have heard that Further Maths would be good. So I may take that but drop it in the 2nd year. How would that work out?

I would also like to know which A levels would be good as well. I know English Lit would be good, however, I'm not too fond of the subject and would only take it if it would really help. I've been told to go with subjects I enjoy as long as they're appropriate.

Could anyone help me with my choices and give me some advice? Thanks for your help!
ockhamsshotgun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dwittyy)
Hi there!

I'm currently taking my GCSEs and need to choose which A Levels to take. I am hoping to study Philosophy at Cambridge if I can, so I'm trying to make sure I choose the most appropriate A Levels.

My current thoughts are to take Maths, Physics and Philosophy. However, I have heard that Further Maths would be good. So I may take that but drop it in the 2nd year. How would that work out?

I would also like to know which A levels would be good as well. I know English Lit would be good, however, I'm not too fond of the subject and would only take it if it would really help. I've been told to go with subjects I enjoy as long as they're appropriate.

Could anyone help me with my choices and give me some advice? Thanks for your help!
I would suggest that with a Philosophy A level, if you are good at it, you will be able to make most subject combinations work.

Taking at least one maths/science is definitely sensible, physics is a good choice.

Your personal statement, interview and predicted grades will do the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ockhamsshotgun)
I would suggest that with a Philosophy A level, if you are good at it, you will be able to make most subject combinations work.

Taking at least one maths/science is definitely sensible, physics is a good choice.

Your personal statement, interview and predicted grades will do the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, but have you got any advice for my 4th subject? Are there any other subjects that you would strongly advise?
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, but have you got any advice for my 4th subject? Are there any other subjects that you would strongly advise?
Excellent choice picking mathematics, mathematics is very important in the Anglo-American tradition. I'd advise taking further mathematics, for a fourth subject any respectable subject will do: History, Lit, Biology. I can't think of any other subjects other than mathematics and philosophy that would be of enormous importance.
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by John Stuart Mill)
Excellent choice picking mathematics, mathematics is very important in the Anglo-American tradition. I'd advise taking further mathematics, for a fourth subject any respectable subject will do: History, Lit, Biology. I can't think of any other subjects other than mathematics and philosophy that would be of enormous importance.
Thanks, but do you mean take Further Mathematics instead of just Maths or could I take Further Maths and drop it in my 2nd year? As for the 4th subject, I didn't take History at GCSE level and am not that interested in it anyway. I don't see how Biology is going to help me and English Lit is one of the subjects I would take if I REALLY had to.
Retrodiction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there!

Great choices. If you can pull it off, a good grade in a foreign language would look great in place of further maths. But if not, further maths would go well with the others - or, as has already been suggested, any 'hard' subject, e.g. English lit, history etc.
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, but do you mean take Further Mathematics instead of just Maths or could I take Further Maths and drop it in my 2nd year? As for the 4th subject, I didn't take History at GCSE level and am not that interested in it anyway. I don't see how Biology is going to help me and English Lit is one of the subjects I would take if I REALLY had to.
Further Mathematics and Mathematics are two different A-levels afaik, other than Lit or History I can't think of another subject, I don't think it will matter though which is why I suggested something like Biology, as long as it's a rigorous 4th subject you don't have any problems, and you don't have to have studied History at GCSE to do A-level.
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
So if I go with Maths, Philosophy and Physics and either do Further Maths, English Lit or a 'hard-working' subject for which I drop in the 2nd year, I'm all good?
TheBigJosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
English or Sociology perhaps?
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Now I do maths at uni not philosophy so im not in the ideal position to comment but when I was looking into philosophy and math degrees (out of interest for what material they teach), I feel as though although further maths is challenging (so its impressive if you get a good mark) and its fun, a further essay subject could ensure you have proved your essay and writing skills, but if its not a passion, dont do it just becuase its an essay subject.
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
Now I do maths at uni not philosophy so im not in the ideal position to comment but when I was looking into philosophy and math degrees (out of interest for what material they teach), I feel as though although further maths is challenging (so its impressive if you get a good mark) and its fun, a further essay subject could ensure you have proved your essay and writing skills, but if its not a passion, dont do it just becuase its an essay subject.
The problem is that English is not my favourite subject and nor is History. (And the fact that I didn't take it for GCSE will make it more difficult). Although I have considered Sociology, Psycology and Politics for essay subjects, none of them seem to captivate me. However, I do recall that Psycology is an essay-based subject. Is that considered by Universities, especially Oxbridge, as 'good'?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The problem is that English is not my favourite subject and nor is History. (And the fact that I didn't take it for GCSE will make it more difficult). Although I have considered Sociology, Psycology and Politics for essay subjects, none of them seem to captivate me. However, I do recall that Psycology is an essay-based subject. Is that considered by Universities, especially Oxbridge, as 'good'?
Certainly at AS level Psychology isn't essay based, its mostly short answer questions. This is what Cambridge says:
No particular subjects at A Level (or equivalent) are required for the Philosophy course. However, a combination of arts and science subjects is considered useful. Studying Philosophy at A Level does not in itself confer an advantage. Applicants must be able to demonstrate a capacity for clear-headed logical reasoning and abstract thought.

Have you considered Classics if your school offers it?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there!

The more logical subjects the better. Mathematics and Physics are excellent choices, and so is Further Maths. I don't think English Literature would help you a huge amount; the more logical the subject, the better. You should also be aware that Philosophy is not a requirement. By all means take it if you wish, but you do not need it.
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
The more logical subjects the better. Mathematics and Physics are excellent choices, and so is Further Maths. I don't think English Literature would help you a huge amount; the more logical the subject, the better. You should also be aware that Philosophy is not a requirement. By all means take it if you wish, but you do not need it.
I know but I just really want to start studying it. Although I'm on my 3rd book about it already, I want to be able to discuss the theories and concepts with those more educated and with my fellows. Would Philosophy count as my Literature subject and cover the arts mix. It is classified by Cambridge as an art
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
Thanks guys!

At the moment, I'm planning on taking Maths, Physics, Philosophy and take English Literature for one year and complete the other 3 subjects at A level.

How does this sound? Any advice?
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would recommend further maths if you enjoy it enough
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by StarvingAutist)
I would recommend further maths if you enjoy it enough
I quite enjoy Maths but I've been warned many times that Further Maths is a LOT more difficult than Maths, so I'm trying to stay away.
StarvingAutist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I quite enjoy Maths but I've been warned many times that Further Maths is a LOT more difficult than Maths, so I'm trying to stay away.
Yeah, fair enough
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it would be good to take a arts' subject such as English Literature or another essay writing subjects as a fourth subject as it would give you the essay writing skills you need. However, you should pick a fourth subject that you would enjoy.
Dwittyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cool_JordH)
I think it would be good to take a arts' subject such as English Literature or another essay writing subjects as a fourth subject as it would give you the essay writing skills you need. However, you should pick a fourth subject that you would enjoy.
Ye, I'm going to be taking English Literature and depending on my grade at AS Level, I'll decide whether or not to take it to A2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads