The Student Room Group

Advice for getting a job with no work experience?

I have no work experience what so ever, but at some point I need to get a job and think about getting my own money.
Any tips?

Ask close family members if they can hand you something on a plate. That aside, applying for supermarkets or places in general that pay very poor wages or don't have a great reputation is probably the way forward if I'm honest :P
Reply 2
Original post by gazebi
I have no work experience what so ever, but at some point I need to get a job and think about getting my own money.
Any tips?

Ask to help out at charity shops, good experience, employers love to see it.

A lot of qualities can be taken from your academic studies to employment, for example hard-working, dedicated, time-management, talk about your attendance, extra curricular activities. Get a reference from your teacher.
Reply 3
Apply everywhere you can. Give out CVs like you were born to do it, be friendly and confident and chase up your 'applications' in a polite, determined way. Make up or utilise unofficial work experience, so experience gained in clubs or in group activities, etc, that will aid real work. Volunteer! Oxfam, etc, will always use you. Get a couple of months retail experience if you don't find anything this time, then come back and try again. I would even say, if the potential employer seems like the type you could talk to about it, acknowledge your lack of experience, comment on the 'vicious cycle' of the job market for many youths, highlight how eager you are to begin working and develop your work ethic, etc etc...
Some employers actually like those who have a lack of experience in the same industry. For example a pub I know likes to hire workers who have never worked on a bar before; this way they can train them from scratch, and know that what they have been taught is just what they want to see on the bar.
Get some work experience...
Some jobs will literally take anyone who applies, generally less popular jobs like cleaners, paper rounds, some bar/ restaurant work, kitchen assistants, etc. However, the main thing these employers seem to be looking for is flexibility - they want to be able to rearrange your shifts and know that you will be able to adapt to them. This obviously doesn't tend to fit in very well with college/ university timetables...
If you want some slightly better paid and more interesting jobs, a good place to start is by getting some voluntary experience. Want to work in a shop? Start with a charity shop. Want to work with kids? Volunteer with your local scout group. You could also demonstrate some key transferable skills by things like setting up your own small business or a university society.
If you are thinking a bit more ahead about graduate schemes/ competitive careers which demand industry-specific experience, try looking for small work experience placements followed by internships in that area or a related area. Join related societies. Network with top people you meet at uni (e.g. lecturers). Go to careers fairs and events.
Original post by awe
Apply everywhere you can. Give out CVs like you were born to do it, be friendly and confident and chase up your 'applications' in a polite, determined way. Make up or utilise unofficial work experience, so experience gained in clubs or in group activities, etc, that will aid real work. Volunteer! Oxfam, etc, will always use you. Get a couple of months retail experience if you don't find anything this time, then come back and try again. I would even say, if the potential employer seems like the type you could talk to about it, acknowledge your lack of experience, comment on the 'vicious cycle' of the job market for many youths, highlight how eager you are to begin working and develop your work ethic, etc etc...
Some employers actually like those who have a lack of experience in the same industry. For example a pub I know likes to hire workers who have never worked on a bar before; this way they can train them from scratch, and know that what they have been taught is just what they want to see on the bar.

This is absolutely spot on. In my interview (the only interview I've ever had) I actually talked about the vicious no experience cycle, and the interviewer agreed with me. Keep trying, you'll get there eventually
(edited 10 years ago)
What stage of education are you at, and what career are you considering pursuing?
Try volunteering in charity shops for experience :smile:
But in the mean time, apply everywhere you can. With the job I got, I didn't even have any retail experience and they took me on :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending