The Student Room Group

Waiting FOREVER for a therapist

Well, at least it feels that way...

I had my phone assessment by IAPT nearly a month ago, and he told me a therapist/counselor/psychiatrist would be in touch to arrange some 1-on-1 talking therapy.

I know it's only been a month, and there's obviously huge waiting lists at this time of year, but I really feel like I need some help ASAP.

My life is totally controlled by my depression, I probably hit my 'crisis point' and think about doing something stupid daily. When I had my phone assessment he said he was concerned about this, and asked if I needed to be passed onto another service while I waited to see a therapist.

I'm a complete idiot, and said I wasn't 'at risk' so I'd be fine. I wish I'd said yes so much, because I actually am, but I was scared they'd stick me in a mental ward.

What can I do? I have nothing in place for my 'crisis' moments, and cannot pull myself out of them. I need help so much, I'm scared to go back to uni where no-one can constantly keep an eye on me and stop me doing anything.

How long did you wait to see someone about your problems? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? I'm barely getting out of bed everyday.
If you feel in immediate danger (which it sounds like you might be with these thoughts) then you can go to a&e where they'll assess you and might put you in touch with the crisis team if they think it will help you stay safe. You could also try going back to your GP and ask him to put in a more immediate referral.
I had to wait about 6 months before I started seeing a therapist regularly (with CAMHS). To tie me over I was on antidepressants, and received crisis treatment, family therapy and quasi-therapy sessions from my psychiatrist. To speed it up just keep talking to them. Don't give up asking them for help. And like someone else said, if you're feeling you're in immediate danger go to A&E.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had to wait months for a CBT appointment and in the end it just didn't work for me, there's nothing else apparently that they can do, so it's just antidepressants for me.
go back and see your GP, aside from the fact that they can write to the service again and again and try and get you moved up the list as an 'emergency' they will often offer to see you regularly for a chat, obviously a 10 min GP app isn't the same but it might just be that bit of support you need, they can also look at immediate services

also make yourself a crisis plan, gather phone numbers of family/friends/helplines, look up any drop in counselling services (my university had them?) you could attend if you needed
My GP said the waiting list in my area is so long, he didn't see the point in putting me on the list, I should just go private...I told him I couldn't afford it. Now here I am, even worse off.

Get help. I haven't, if you can then do it.

Quick Reply

Latest