The Student Room Group

Social Anxiety and Group Work

Usually at University I keep myself to myself. I literally turn up to lectures, sit by myself and then leave and I'm completely happy with that. Now in one of our modules we're having to do group work. I know that people without social anxiety don't usually like group work either, but for me the thought of going into university today is making me hot, panicky and I feel sick.

Does anyone else with social anxiety have any experience with group work at university and how to cope with it? I find interacting with people I don't know very uncomfortable but if I can't do this then I will fail the year.
Reply 1
Im the exact same, the only way i got through it is by just going to the group meetings and forcing myself to be there, yes a lot of the time i had little to say as usual with strangers, but I actually came to like the group and got along good with one of them. Just do it, you don't know how it'll turn out. and just remind yourself that your main purpose to being there is that youve been put in a group, its not like you have to go up to random people and say oh hi can i sit with you or something.
Original post by Anonymous
Usually at University I keep myself to myself. I literally turn up to lectures, sit by myself and then leave and I'm completely happy with that. Now in one of our modules we're having to do group work. I know that people without social anxiety don't usually like group work either, but for me the thought of going into university today is making me hot, panicky and I feel sick.

Does anyone else with social anxiety have any experience with group work at university and how to cope with it? I find interacting with people I don't know very uncomfortable but if I can't do this then I will fail the year.

Imagine feeling like that all the time haha... I study architecture, over 50% of the course is groupwork... then there's constant presentations to 50+ people. When it comes to groupwork I never say a word which leads to me doing none of the work, which leads to a disastrous peer assessment grade, which leads to me failing second year :cool: I'm joining the year below on monday to resit my second semester... I'll be thrown in to a class of 50+ people who i've never seen/met before... #****tingmyself

The only thing I know will help in these situations are benzo's, and since my doctor outright refuses to prescribe me any (mofo), I will obtain them through another 'source'
Reply 3
I have terrible social anxiety and dont really know what to do about it.
I really would love to go and do a nursing degree but Im not sure Im
up to it. Im not sure I would even get past the interview stage as I
know I would start shaking and be really nervous which wouldnt go down
well at all.

Quick Reply

Latest