The Student Room Group

Have you ever been on a date to Nandos, McDonalds etc?

this thread is of course due to the story regarding Adnan Januzaj taking a girl on a first date to Nandos in some of the papers today , anyway would it bother you if someone took you to a fast food place for a date?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looks like a marketing move by the Nandos chain. He might have been paid mega bucks. And the girl looks suspiciously "professional model" like.
I'd definitely take a girl to Nando's on the first date, and have done once. She loved it - because she realises we're not all on footballer salaries.
Reply 3
Well, I'll tell you one thing... Dont go to fastfoods for a date... you know how when you eat burgers theyre always slimy and you get grease all over your hands, and sometimes sauce drips on you... and etc. Well I've done it once... xD Was the weirdest thing ever... Go to a tim hortons if you have one :wink: xD
Original post by Anonymous
I'd definitely take a girl to Nando's on the first date, and have done once. She loved it - because she realises we're not all on footballer salaries.

Really? Most nice small restaurants are roughly the same price, sometimes cheaper, as places like Nandos/TGI Fridays, but with much nicer quality food and a nicer setting. You don't always have to go to chains, you know.
I've taken a girl to a kebab shop on a first date.

I probably wouldn't bother going to a chain like Nando's, because it's **** food and has a **** atmosphere, and if I was going to actually make the effort of going somewhere I'd pick a proper restaurant. But I don't think there's anything wrong with going somewhere cheap, which seems to be the theme of the thread. Half the restaurants I go to are comparable to Nando's on price, but just have far less annoying children in them, and nicer food.
The only thing wrong with nandos is that it's way too loud.

Otherwise, dates are supposed to be about two people enjoying each other's company rather than trying to impress each other. If your date is materialistic and self absorbed enough to expect to be wined and dined and spent lavishly on, then you should start looking for a new date.
Reply 7
I'we taken my girlfriend to Burger King on the first date...

Oh wait, I'we never had a girlfriend

Forever alone
My ex took me to Nandos because I'd never been haha. I am now a major fan of it :smile:
Who cares about the quality of the food? Or how loud it is? Or how many kids there are around?

If it's where you like to eat, take your date there.
You're dating the person not the food.

Personally, I find that a more relaxed atmosphere is less awkward than eating slimy, knife-and-fork food in a room where you could here a pin drop and where the noise created by sliding your chair out causes everyone in the room to stare at you.
Not technically a date, but a guy I met in a club bought me a burger in mcdonalds after we left and we ended up seeing each other for a couple of months :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd rather not go for a meal on a first date tbh.

Still, I'd never go to Nandos on a date unless it was her choice of venue. It's vastly overrated and overpriced for what you get. Much better off visiting the Colonel if you want chicken goodness. Still, I'd rather go somewhere a little more unique.
Original post by mikeyd85
I'd rather not go for a meal on a first date tbh.

Still, I'd never go to Nandos on a date unless it was her choice of venue. It's vastly overrated and overpriced for what you get. Much better off visiting the Colonel if you want chicken goodness. Still, I'd rather go somewhere a little more unique.

You wouldn't go because it's not your favourite place to eat.

But, I think the question in the OP is asking more:
'If you actually enjoy eating/spending time at Nandos, should you go somewhere more expensive with a date, just to make a better impression?'
I love fast food so I would be on board for a fast food restaurant date.
I've been to Nandos with my boyfriend for lunch a few times but I wouldn't say it was a proper 'date'.
Reply 15
I'd refuse to go in, it isn't about the price but I can't stand food from either place and it doesn't exactly scream romance to be taken into a fast food chain. In my opinion, the first date is a chance to make a real effort, and if I see no effort; I see no second date.
Original post by Anonymous Coward
You wouldn't go because it's not your favourite place to eat.

But, I think the question in the OP is asking more:
'If you actually enjoy eating/spending time at Nandos, should you go somewhere more expensive with a date, just to make a better impression?'

I'd argue you don't have to go somewhere more expensive to make a better impression. :tongue: For example, Little Tokyo in Leeds is a lovely little Japanese restaurant with similar priced food and has a lovely atmosphere. Salvos in Leeds (Gordon Ramsay says it's the best neighbourhood Italian in the UK) can provide a meal (so long as you go for a pasta dish or pizza) for a comparable price too and it's multiple orders of magnitude better than Nandos.
Reply 17
Salvos in Leeds (Gordon Ramsay says it's the best neighbourhood Italian in the UK)

I'd disregard Gordon Ramsays opinion about food these days. Whilst he may be a good chef, he is more of a well-paid celebrity figure now. Same as Jamie Oliver whose recipes won't be personal creations any more.

Personally I like to go to a bar for the first date then invite her to mine/the other way around for a home cooked meal (its impressive/I know how to cook) and a film (which is barely watched :wink: ) then third date...who cares by that point. Can do anything.
Original post by Knighted
I'd disregard Gordon Ramsays opinion about food these days. Whilst he may be a good chef, he is more of a well-paid celebrity figure now. Same as Jamie Oliver whose recipes won't be personal creations any more.

Seriously, this place is amazing. Like, really amazing food. The steaks there are like nothing else. If you ever get the chance to, go there. For the price you pay, you won't find anything better.

Edit: Your idea of cooking after being in a bar is a dangerous one! :lol:
Reply 19
Seriously, this place is amazing. Like, really amazing food. The steaks there are like nothing else. If you ever get the chance to, go there. For the price you pay, you won't find anything better.

Edit: Your idea of cooking after being in a bar is a dangerous one! :lol:

Tis in London you say? should be heading there later this year. I'll check it out.

haha, i see the mistake. I meant as a second date. The first date at the bar is just to build comfort and such. If you can't get comfortable with someone whilst at a pub/bar then you aren't compatible.

Quick Reply

Latest