Isn't Earth's real threat at the moment overpopulation?

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Currently there are 7.2 Billionish people alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_o...rying_capacity

Estimates put the population at 10 Billion by 2050 which according to max carrying capacity estimates of earth it is either:

A) Beyond it
B) Dangerously close to its maximum

All of this by 2050, then how are we going to make it to 2100?
Elmi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't worry about that, your probably dead by 2100.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumachi)
Currently there are 7.2 Billionish people alive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_o...rying_capacity

Estimates put the population at 10 Billion by 2050 which according to max carrying capacity estimates of earth it is either:

A) Beyond it
B) Dangerously close to its maximum

All of this by 2050, then how are we going to make it to 2100?
To date agricultural productivity has kept pace with population growth and food prices have fallen accordingly on a global scale, energy and water are not really problems related to population but income since the technologically exists to provide these things.

I'd be concerned about overpopulation in Africa right now but i dare say that everywhere else is fine.
Bloxorus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They'll probably be some sort of global epidemic to wipe out a good proportion of the population between now and then (something similar to the plague maybe?).

So not to worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kiss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
and our children..????
.....will get dragged into WWIII so that'll reduce the numbers significantly.
ChocoCoatedLemons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There'll probably be a huge plague since we're all reaching the point of weakened immune systems due to living in an overly-clean environment. Not to worry.

Saying that, if I could press a button to delete half the world's population, I'd probably do it. It could save the rest of us.
the mezzil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. Overpopulation is not a problem and never will be. I suggest people who are worried to watch this documentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_kn45qIvI
michaelhaych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1. There has ALWAYS been enough food to feed the population, however it is unevenly distributed between the northern and southern hemisphere
2. Technological advances in agriculture have vastly increased, and will continue to increase, the global output of food; abandon your Malthusian ideologies
3. There are huge areas of land that is currently underutilised and could provide food for billions of people
4. Global birth rates are declining; slowing the rate of population growth
5. The entire population of the United States could fit into, and live in the state of New Hampshire (the 4th smallest state) at a population density of 30,000 people per km2 (the population density of Brooklyn); land availability is not an issue
Doc.Daneeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not just that there is overpopulation but rather that some areas are slowly becoming overpopulated with older age groups and underpopulated with young to mid age groups. In other words we are having fewer kids these days and the elderly are 'living' longer. So you have fewer tax payers going and more pensioners living on which forces everything to shift to a situation where the younger people who are active in employment etc have to pay more to keep things going.
Thaladan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
Saying that, if I could press a button to delete half the world's population, I'd probably do it. It could save the rest of us.
And I'm assuming you, your family, and your friends wouldn't be in the unlucky half...
Eloades11
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There was an interesting documentary on the BBC recently explaining the statistics and data covered by the world's expert epidemiologists. Lesser developed countries are steadily moving to reduce poverty and high infant mortality rates, while the birth rates per woman is declining as well. Predictions claimed that the population will soon reach it's peak and start levelling off. The topic of fossil fuel burning is also a major threat at the moment.

(Original post by the mezzil)
No. Overpopulation is not a problem and never will be. I suggest people who are worried to watch this documentary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz_kn45qIvI
This was it, thanks for posting
michaelhaych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There'll probably be a huge plague since we're all reaching the point of weakened immune systems due to living in an overly-clean environment. Not to worry.

:facepalm2: not a biology student I take it?
HeavyTeddy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

LOL You need to be in the deleted half.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, it's greed.
VeniViciVidi
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Do you know how medicine works?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
and our children..????
lol they are the problem according to you....
Don't have any (or have one)
TheBigJosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say it's either Crocs, Paul's Boutique or slug eyebrows.
SoftPunch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by the mezzil)
(Original post by michaelhaych)
1. There has ALWAYS been enough food to feed the population, however it is unevenly distributed between the northern and southern hemisphere
2. Technological advances in agriculture have vastly increased, and will continue to increase, the global output of food; abandon your Malthusian ideologies
3. There are huge areas of land that is currently underutilised and could provide food for billions of people
4. Global birth rates are declining; slowing the rate of population growth
5. The entire population of the United States could fit into, and live in the state of New Hampshire (the 4th smallest state) at a population density of 30,000 people per km2 (the population density of Brooklyn); land availability is not an issue
This. Overpopulation is not a threat and will not be. I've read somewhere that when it would reach around 11 billion there will be natural causes/reasons for it to fall back again, so it's not like it's going to keep rising beyond that.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Overpopulation is not a threat to the the Earth, not even a little bit. The Earth will carry on spinning round the Sun regardless.

It really is just another demonstration of humanity's limitless arrogance when you say 'Earth' but really mean 'Humans'.
SteelScyther
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's some interesting literature about this subject actually that says by 2100 the human population will be in equilibrium at about 10 billion. This BBC article and video talks about it quite nicely: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24835822

Basically we're going to be having less children - the increase in the number of children has already slowed down and is nearing equilibrium.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it, I'm sure it'll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.69%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.46%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.85%

Watched Threads