Want To Double Major Cambridge Computer Engineering: Lacking Further Maths / Physics

Watch
walesjeffrey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I guess I'll introduce myself first:

- I want to double major Computer science & Electrical engineering at Cambridge or Oxford (yes that's bold)

- I take 3 A- level subjects:

- Math (Just normal math) - (predicted A*)
- Chemistry - (predicted A*)
- Economics - (predicted A)

Here's the problem, I did NOT take:

- GCSE Additional Math
- Any sort of Physics
- A-Level Computing
- A- Level Further Math

I wish I could sit for further math myself however the registration periods are already passed.

So I wonder if taking the American AP Calculus BC, and AP Physics could help? And how much would it help, since it's an American test, wouldn't it seem strange for a British person to took an American test...

Thank you!
Jeffrey
username1258398
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by walesjeffrey)
- A-Level Computing
Universities don't care if you have this or not. In fact, some prefer you don't take it if you're applying to do Computer Science. So don't worry that you didn't take it.
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Uh, I'm pretty sure you can't double major in those two at Oxbridge. No universities care if you have GCSE Additional Maths or not.
ermm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess I'll introduce myself first:

- I want to double major Computer science & Electrical engineering at Cambridge or Oxford (yes that's bold)

- I take 3 A- level subjects:

- Math (Just normal math) - (predicted A*)
- Chemistry - (predicted A*)
- Economics - (predicted A)

Here's the problem, I did NOT take:

- GCSE Additional Math
- Any sort of Physics
- A-Level Computing
- A- Level Further Math

I wish I could sit for further math myself however the registration periods are already passed.

So I wonder if taking the American AP Calculus BC, and AP Physics could help? And how much would it help, since it's an American test, wouldn't it seem strange for a British person to took an American test...

Thank you!
Jeffrey
If you're in your first year of A levels, you can try to take up the entire further maths A level next year? It's tough, but to be honest, the course (especially Cambridge's) has the same Maths content as a single Maths major at other Universities so Maths and Further Maths are pretty essential.

You can always sit for the APs - extra maths is never a negative :P

My best advice would be, leave further maths for next year, but try to sit the STEP examination/s this year (and do well - although that's a given). Doing well in STEP will be more than enough in confirming that you're strong at maths - so much so that a lack of further maths could be overlooked.
piguy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thank you!
Jeffrey
I don't think you can 'double major' in the UK for any degree. That's just an American thing (since it's 4 year degrees)

Some universities offer joint degrees like Computer Science and Electrical Engineering (though because courses are 3 years long that inevitiably means that you'll only do 50% of each). The only course I can think of where you nearly 'double major' is Imperial's Maths and Computer Science course (which is apparently quite intensive because you study 75% of both courses in one 3-year degree)

In any case, neither Oxford nor Cambridge have a direct course for Electrical Engineering, so can either you apply for Computer Science or Engineering.

At both you're at a disadvantage for not taking further mathematics (especially for Computer Science), but there's no way to get in for Engineering without having done A-level Physics or equivalent - AP Physics will probably suffice for that, but it is very odd, so you should probably email admissions tutors to see if they will accept that for the course or look at an A-level physics spec / futher maths spec (modules FP1-3 M2-4) to see if you have the required knowledge for them.

Computing A-level is not commonly offered by schools and so no university for any course expects students to have done it.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Neither Oxford nor Cambridge will allow you to do a joint honours in computer science and electrical engineering
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ourses/az.html
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad.../subjects.html

You can find a full list of unis that do that combination at www.ucas.ac.uk

Once you have found some courses that you're interested in, look at what A Level subjects they require. If you have all the subjects they require then you can apply; if not then it's probably not worth bothering to apply.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't "double major" in this country.

You can do a joint honours, which is a joint degree, but not equivalent to two degrees, and many universities offer joint honours in computer science and electrical engineering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (128)
41.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (35)
11.4%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (25)
8.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
21.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.75%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.19%

Watched Threads