The Student Room Group

DBS (CRB) Check & Professional Skills tests

Hello Student Room Universe!

I'm new to The Student Room and i can't believe i've not used it before, it looks pretty amazing!

Anyway, to the point...

I've been given a conditional offer for my first choice university to study Primary Education (ITT).

The 2 conditions are, as in the title, DBS check and passing the skills tests.

So, how do i apply for a DBS check?

And also, I've taken a few of the practice papers online of the Skills Tests and scraped through (getting 18/28 & 19/28 on the numeracy papers).

Are they as difficult in the real exam?

How long from booking it is it usually taken?

Thank you all in advance!

Mitch
Reply 1
The uni will need to apply for the DBS check on your behalf. You'll receive the forms about this nearer the time they want to do it - it's likely they'll send everyone's off together (or in a few batches) and it's still early in the application cycle. Read the form thoroughly before filling it in as some bits might not apply to you, and other bits try to be confusing.
Reply 2
Original post by MitchTaylor95
Hello Student Room Universe!

I'm new to The Student Room and i can't believe i've not used it before, it looks pretty amazing!

Anyway, to the point...

I've been given a conditional offer for my first choice university to study Primary Education (ITT).

The 2 conditions are, as in the title, DBS check and passing the skills tests.

So, how do i apply for a DBS check?

And also, I've taken a few of the practice papers online of the Skills Tests and scraped through (getting 18/28 & 19/28 on the numeracy papers).

Are they as difficult in the real exam?

How long from booking it is it usually taken?

Thank you all in advance!

Mitch

Welcome, I thought exactly the same when I first discovered TSR.

Like the post above states your university will send off your application as far as the DBS check is concerned. Have you had an interview yet? I had mine for Oxford Brooke's and we completed our forms then.

As for the skills tests, um generally people say the online exams are harder. I've been fortunate enough to pass mine but that wasn't without work. I used the online practice ones as well as buying this random book I found off amazon. Both my friend and I didn't realise for the mental maths bit you are actually given a whiteboard for jotting down workings. We were in the wrong idea of thinking it all had to be done mentally. We were wrong thank god! You said how long did they take? Well I booked one and then passed and then booked the next one within about a four weeks later. I gave myself four weeks to practice on each because OB's didn't require us to pass them before interview - some apparently do?!

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest