KittyN101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have had the same Chemistry teacher for two years (I'm in year 10, I also had her in year 9).

There are several reasons why we (me, the rest of my class, and her other classes - including in other yeargroups) -

*She was ill for more than a term last year and when she came back she made us re-do all the work we'd done with the cover teacher (who was a retired chem teacher, not just a random cover teacher) to ensure that it was "to her standards" - okay, this one is kind-of reasonable but is annoying and wasted our time

*She gives us wrong information, e.g. saying "acid + base -> salt + water" when actually only acid + ALKALI -> salt + water. When people point out that the textbook, worksheet and various websites (e.g. Bitesize) all disagree with her, she says they must all be wrong and gives the people detentions :/

*She hasn't marked anything all year - she sets about 30-45 minutes of homework each lesson (once or twice a week) but hasn't collected any in, even tests she gets us to peer-mark and doesn't even look at them - only at the marks written on the front. 3 weeks ago I got back a piece of work from October of year 9 and I think that's the last thing of mine she marked.

*We all have lower marks than in the other sciences & the other class - my class is in "band 1" (science classes are in one of 5 ability bands with 2-3 classes in each band) and in biology and physics we're all getting A and A* but in chemistry most people are getting B or C, there's a few Ds and only a few As (people who teach themselves the curriculum or have tutors). The other class in our band, who have a different teacher, are getting A/A* in chemistry

*She's always punishing people for no reason (e.g. she gave me a detention for looking out the window during a test - when I'd already finished - because she said that was cheating). When one of the boys said to her that she was useless (yeah, he should of said it, but anyway) then she got him put in isolation for 2 days.

Me and my friends were going to go speak to our head of year about her but then our chemistry teacher might just deny it and get us in detention/isolation....
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All you can do is talk to head of year, or ask parents to complain; this was most effective at our school. We had the worst chemistry teacher too. I mean worse than this. Eventually, she left after a lot of pressure from parents. (Although unluckily she was replaced by someone only marginally better)
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if lots people think the same then complain to someone of higher authority...
L00211_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KittyN101;46135378

*We all have lower marks than in the other sciences & the other class - my class is in "band 1" (science classes are in one of 5 ability bands with 2-3 classes in each band) and in biology and physics we're all getting A and A* but in chemistry most people are getting B or C, there's a few Ds and [U
)

only a few As (people who teach themselves the curriculum or have tutors).[/U] The other class in our band, who have a different teacher, are getting A/A* in chemistry....
Complain, or if that's ineffective, teach yourself, you seem really bright so it should be easy
Good luck
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tell on her

Posted from TSR Mobile
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should definitely complain, my maths class had quite a bad teacher at the start of the year and when we complained she was demoted to KS3 and we got a new one - good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1042689
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KittyN101)
I have had the same Chemistry teacher for two years (I'm in year 10, I also had her in year 9).

There are several reasons why we (me, the rest of my class, and her other classes - including in other yeargroups) -

*She was ill for more than a term last year and when she came back she made us re-do all the work we'd done with the cover teacher (who was a retired chem teacher, not just a random cover teacher) to ensure that it was "to her standards" - okay, this one is kind-of reasonable but is annoying and wasted our time.

That's a bit pernickety, but maybe she'd had a bad history with the retired chem teacher?

*She gives us wrong information, e.g. saying "acid + base -> salt + water" when actually only acid + ALKALI -> salt + water. When people point out that the textbook, worksheet and various websites (e.g. Bitesize) all disagree with her, she says they must all be wrong and gives the people detentions :/

...She's right. Base is more or less another term for alkali, and is actually more accurate - you use the term base at A level, not alkali. Though both would give you the marks in an exam. Detentions are extreme, though.

*She hasn't marked anything all year - she sets about 30-45 minutes of homework each lesson (once or twice a week) but hasn't collected any in, even tests she gets us to peer-mark and doesn't even look at them - only at the marks written on the front. 3 weeks ago I got back a piece of work from October of year 9 and I think that's the last thing of mine she marked.

I'd bring this up with her.

*We all have lower marks than in the other sciences & the other class - my class is in "band 1" (science classes are in one of 5 ability bands with 2-3 classes in each band) and in biology and physics we're all getting A and A* but in chemistry most people are getting B or C, there's a few Ds and only a few As (people who teach themselves the curriculum or have tutors). The other class in our band, who have a different teacher, are getting A/A* in chemistry.

Unfortunately, sometimes you get crap teachers and you just have to get through it. I had a pretty bad chem teacher last year, and you have to teach yourself from the textbooks and past papers and talk to them other, good teacher.

*She's always punishing people for no reason (e.g. she gave me a detention for looking out the window during a test - when I'd already finished - because she said that was cheating). When one of the boys said to her that she was useless (yeah, he should of said it, but anyway) then she got him put in isolation for 2 days.

Me and my friends were going to go speak to our head of year about her but then our chemistry teacher might just deny it and get us in detention/isolation....
If she's being harsh with punishment, you should go and take that to your head of year, with documented evidence. Careful you don't make it sound like you have a vendetta against her or you're bitter because you've been punished; if you're calm, they'll believe you and bring it up with her.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KittyN101)

*She was ill for more than a term last year and when she came back she made us re-do all the work we'd done with the cover teacher (who was a retired chem teacher, not just a random cover teacher) to ensure that it was "to her standards" - okay, this one is kind-of reasonable but is annoying and wasted our time

*We all have lower marks than in the other sciences & the other class - my class is in "band 1" (science classes are in one of 5 ability bands with 2-3 classes in each band) and in biology and physics we're all getting A and A* but in chemistry most people are getting B or C, there's a few Ds and only a few As (people who teach themselves the curriculum or have tutors). The other class in our band, who have a different teacher, are getting A/A* in chemistry

Alkali's are soluble bases, but insoluble bases can still neutralise when reacted with acids.

As far as I remember from GCSE Chemistry:

Acid + Base = Salt + Water :confused:, so I think your teacher is right, although your textbooks are as well.

Although she probably is a bad teacher. I would suggest that you buy a CGP Revision Guide for your exam board and learn from there.
jepenseque
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe I'm being silly but I thought that both Acid + Alkali and Acid + Base will produce Salt + Water? Isn't an alkali just a soluble base?

However, I know from experience that this is an annoying situation to be in. There must be something wrong if the marks vary that much between your class and the other classes! Buy some revision guides that are designed specifically for your exam board and use these to revise and check information if you're not sure.
Excuse Me!
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd go to your head of year but you could always self teach. I'd recommend the youtube videos (mygcsescience) or if you're willing to pay a small bit then i've found learners cloud incredibly useful.
ChocolateMelody
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have an English teacher who is absolutely awful - he spends the vast majority of the lesson going on about his ancestry and doesn't teach us much about the structure of essays at all - he simply makes us rely on detailed quotation analysis and makes no effort to teach us properly at all. It was the same with Physics in year 9, I had to teach myself the entire years' course (we started GCSE Sciences in year 9).

I see why it's so frustrating - and it sounds to me as if you should maybe think about mentioning it to someone of higher authority if this is having such a negative impact on your grades. You're in year 10, therefore this is something worth considering (if you were in year 11 then you would only have a couple of months worth of teaching time before you go on study leave). However, this does seem a bit drastic to me, it really depends on how much you can rely on your own independent study to get through the course.

Personally I would just deal with it, do some more work outside of school and try and get through the next few months without throwing a textbook at her or something!!! If necessary you could get a tutor and try and make up for the lost work but it really depends how important chemistry is to you (A levels etc) and how good you are at it.
Rob da Mop
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have something concrete like the fact that her classes are significantly outperformed then a head of department or similar can't ignore it. Honestly I'd also be willing to risk the detention etc. for a chance at a better teacher. If you get parents involved or write something like this (but spell checked and with better presentation) in a letter/email then you'll look much more composed and you'll likely be taken much more seriously.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Search "MyGCSEScience" on google/Youtube. He shall be your new teacher.
megandftba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't have a very good science teacher when I did my core science in year 10. I learnt everything I needed to know for my exams from mygcsescience. But I think you should definitely tell a senior member of staff, form teacher or parent and hopefully they will sort it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (60)
29.27%
No (145)
70.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed