This is how Student Finance ruin your life.

Watch
Valusha
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I applied in September, course started in September.
They lost my application form and my original documents and conveniently deleted my account.
Took 2 months just to get my passport back.
I get a letter of apology and am asked to reapply.
Applied again in November.
Reject my application on grounds that I didn't send my ID, yet after making a phone call they find it ask me to wait another few weeks.
Reject my application on grounds that I didn't proof my residency in UK for the past 3 years, again another phone call and they find it ask me to wait few weeks again.
I get entitlement letter with Decleration form saying how much and when I will recieve the money, signed and sent.
Now...they rejected my application on grounds that my course is not covered by student finance, yet my class-mates got theirs.

It is end of January now, I have been borrowing and living off food banks just to survive. I am already in debt of ~ 2k. Worst part is i have to deal with all this while I am pregnant. 1 Term has already passed and now even after telling me how much I will get they decide to reject???

Can ANYONE explain what is going on and what am I meant to do cause phone calls and letters haven't helped.
K995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Shouldn't have applied so late

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by K995)
Shouldn't have applied so late

Posted from TSR Mobile

Course was approved by UCAS at the end of August, students were informed that they could now apply for the Student Finance. In my class I was the 1 of the earliest person to apply...

I don't understand your comment.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Valusha)
Course was approved by UCAS at the end of August, students were informed that they could now apply for the Student Finance. In my class I was the 1 of the earliest person to apply...

I don't understand your comment.
The deadline to be guarenteed money in time for the start of the academic year was May I believe.
Valusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
The deadline to be guarenteed money in time for the start of the academic year was May I believe.
How is this relevant to my situation?

I need help in trying to sort the problem of my application being rejected over and over on grounds that make no sense.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How is this relevant to my situation?

I need help in trying to sort the problem of my application being rejected over and over on grounds that make no sense.
You said you didn't understand K995's comment.
Valusha
Rep:
?
Spoke to my Uni and explained them the situation. Now the Director, the Principle and a couple of lawyers are helping me sort my situation with the student finance.

Thanks for not even trying to help, I recommend anyone with problems just speak to your Uni and they will help you, not the so called helpful Student Room community.
pmj1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whilst the application went in too late, it doesn't look like the OP could have applied much earlier anyway. Even if they had, they are now being messed around by SFE losing documents and denying any entitlement when they should have it. Maybe OP doesn't deserve their finance on time but they deserve help trying to get the money they are entitled to now, so it would be nice for someone to help them.

Sorry Valusha, if I knew enough I would offer advice. Post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
A staff member from student finance company answers questions in that forum.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pmj1991)
Whilst the application went in too late, it doesn't look like the OP could have applied much earlier anyway. Even if they had, they are now being messed around by SFE losing documents and denying any entitlement when they should have it. Maybe OP doesn't deserve their finance on time but they deserve help trying to get the money they are entitled to now, so it would be nice for someone to help them.

Sorry Valusha, if I knew enough I would offer advice. Post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
The thing is though that aside from the student finance representative, none of us are in a position to explain why student finance are rejecting the evidence and course.
Valusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by pmj1991)

Thank you for understanding.

But my Uni is helping me with this matter, according to the lawyers they said everything I had given Student Finance is fine, it is now between them and Student Finance, they have no reason to refuse my application. I am just waiting because they are still on the phone.

But thanks for the suggestion.
Valusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
The thing is though that aside from the student finance representative, none of us are in a position to explain why student finance are rejecting the evidence and course.
The only reason I came to this site is because there is a big community here. So I was hoping someone in here may have had a similar situation and could advise me in the steps they had taken to sort their problem out. I certainly didn't post a thread here to ask to give me inside information about Student Finance.

Even a simple statement to just go ask my Uni would have sufficed. But instead I am being told I applied late when I said the course was accepted late in UCAS.

But never mind, thanks anyway.
HPF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree, and to all the people saying 'should have applied in May', I applied in May and still haven't received my loan even though I've done everything I can to send them the required evidence. They require a form from a company that takes 5 weeks to send the form, and twice they've sent the wrong one now (that's 10+ weeks of waiting, aka whole of term 1) and still waiting on their third attempt, so I'm stuck until these idiots send me the right form. Student finance won't budge and still want it even though i've told them the morons are incapable of sending the correct one. Really pissed off.
ZakV
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Student Finance are notoriously disorganised, you really have to get your **** together from the start tbh. I'm glad for you that it is being sorted now .
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spoke to my Uni and explained them the situation. Now the Director, the Principle and a couple of lawyers are helping me sort my situation with the student finance.

Thanks for not even trying to help, I recommend anyone with problems just speak to your Uni and they will help you, not the so called helpful Student Room community.
Exactly, and with the greatest respect this is just common sense. Anyone experiencing financial difficulty should speak to their university as a matter of urgency. Not only can they provide finance (Access to Learning, emergency funds), but they also have experienced finance officers who can communicate with funding bodies (with your consent) and help resolve the situation.

No student should be in the position where they have to start using food banks and borrowing money from elsewhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
16.5%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (30)
29.13%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
9.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (11)
10.68%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.85%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
27.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.94%

Watched Threads