Nigella Lawson not to be prosecuted over drug admissions - rule of law?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...s-9088265.html

Interesting, I wonder if an average joe would be treated in a similar manner by the police?
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)

Interesting, I wonder if an average joe would be treated in a similar manner by the police?
Yes I think an average joe would be treated the same way. Actually no, it wouldn't have even gone this far with an average joe. I really doubt the police consider it worth their time to follow up and investigate someone just because they said they did drugs at some point. Sure if someone is caught with drugs they'll do something, but if they happen to admit to taking drugs during the course of some other (non-drugs related) investigation I doubt they'd care unless they admit to being involved in dealing.

At least I hope that's what would happen. It shocks me to think how much tax payer money is wasted "fighting" drugs.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think so yes. She wasn't on trial and its a fairly minor crime.

It's in the best interests of the courts as well, it would have set a dangerous precedent, where witnesses are advised to remain silent in order to avoid self incrimination.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not quite sure what law she is alleged to have broken ?
tibbles209
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for simply saying they have taken drugs at some point in the past.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
I think so yes. She wasn't on trial and its a fairly minor crime.

It's in the best interests of the courts as well, it would have set a dangerous precedent, where witnesses are advised to remain silent in order to avoid self incrimination.
The judge didn't direct her on this issue either. IMHO he should have done.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
I am not quite sure what law she is alleged to have broken ?
Being in possession of a class A drug.
Strangey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Please tell the law which says it's an offense to have taken drugs? It's an offense to supply, posses or manufacture drugs, but not to take them. That way, you can go to A&E if you've had an overdose without fear of the plod being there to arrest you the moment you're admitted.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Strangey)
Please tell the law which says it's an offense to have taken drugs? It's an offense to supply, posses or manufacture drugs, but not to take them. That way, you can go to A&E if you've had an overdose without fear of the plod being there to arrest you the moment you're admitted.
Exactly.

And that is why the judge did not warn her about incriminating herself. Possession can not be charged for historical possession to my knowledge.
Strangey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Exactly.

And that is why the judge did not warn her about incriminating herself. Possession can not be charged for historical possession to my knowledge.
That's pretty much all I remember from drugs awareness at school! Glad it hasn't changed
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Strangey)
To have taken them, she would have been in possession of them. The CPS have her confessing to being in possession of class A drugs while under oath, they could almost certainly get a prosecution with that, her only defence would be perjury, which is a far more serious crime.
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not allowed to have drugs, but you are allowed to take them. Various politicians have admitted doing so, even outside of Parliamentary privilege. This whole thing is a mess though, her taking drugs without causing harm to anyone (compare with drunks fighting or smokers leaving their haze for others to choke on) has had more publicity than her then husband strangling her in public.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To have taken them, she would have been in possession of them. The CPS have her confessing to being in possession of class A drugs while under oath, they could almost certainly get a prosecution with that, her only defence would be perjury, which is a far more serious crime.
I know very little law but as I understand it in order to frame the charge the CPS need to allege that she was in possession of x amount of material on such and such a date which on forensic analysis turned out to be Charlie, A drug Class A prohibited by blah blah. There is insufficient evidence to mount such a charge.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know very little law but as I understand it in order to frame the charge the CPS need to allege that she was in possession of x amount of material on such and such a date which on forensic analysis turned out to be Charlie, A drug Class A prohibited by blah blah. There is insufficient evidence to mount such a charge.
It's a strange situation. If you get caught with drugs, then being caught + your admission is enough, they very often to not test the drugs they confiscate. They will ask you what the drug is, where you got it from, how much it cost etc etc then use that in the prosecution. Here we have someone admitting to possessing drugs under oath, because of the nature of perjury I can't see any reason why her admission under oath alone would be insufficient evidence.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a strange situation. If you get caught with drugs, then being caught + your admission is enough, they very often to not test the drugs they confiscate. They will ask you what the drug is, where you got it from, how much it cost etc etc then use that in the prosecution. Here we have someone admitting to possessing drugs under oath, because of the nature of perjury I can't see any reason why her admission under oath alone would be insufficient evidence.
The charge needs to state the amount I think. That's problem #1.

Secondly without conceding to perjury she might say she thought it was coke but now she is not sure.

Joe soap being stitched up by plod doesn't get a brief like the sainted Nigella would retain. And the judge permitting her to incriminate herself on oath without a warning is an abuse of process. It wouldn't last five minutes.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh:

First offence invariably not prosecuted even for Class A.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The charge needs to state the amount I think. That's problem #1.

Secondly without conceding to perjury she might say she thought it was coke but now she is not sure.

Joe soap being stitched up by plod doesn't get a brief like the sainted Nigella would retain. And the judge permitting her to incriminate herself on oath without a warning is an abuse of process. It wouldn't last five minutes.
I don't think the amount has to be stated, its just normally is because the way most drug prosecutions work is the defendant is caught with them.

I'm not sure whether that could be used as a defence either. I know with the supply of drugs you can still be prosecuted for selling talcum powder (for example) as cocaine, not sure if this applies to personal though. Even if she could use this as a defence, she would also have to prove that she only learned that it was not cocaine after she admitted to taking cocaine under oath.
CEKTOP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Even if an average Joe gets caught with some class A, B or C drugs on him there is an almost 100% chance that he would get a caution and set loose without any court involvement.

You can't prosecute people for admitting to taking drugs as you no longer have physical evidence of possession.
CEKTOP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Where is the physical evidence of that? If I claim that I killed somebody that would not automatically allow the court to sentence me for murder - I would have to provide concrete evidence.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Being in possession of a class A drug.
You see now ? My deceptively simple and apparently naive question took us right into the substantive law. Something you do not appear to be familiar with. But oh my goodness you could not resist your two cents from such a position of certainty.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (26)
5.69%
Uncertainty around my education (52)
11.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (55)
12.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (60)
13.13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.25%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (46)
10.07%
Financial worries (28)
6.13%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.56%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.06%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (45)
9.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.32%

Watched Threads