Shady778
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So basically, I am thinking of doing a gap year to take an extra A-level (Further-Maths) and I will need to get some sort of teaching. One option is to have a tutor which is fine, but are there are colleges that let you retake like say 1 A level and they teach you for free but you have to pay for your exams?

Second thing is about UCAS. I am confused as to how exactly I would be expected to fill in the application as who will set my predicted grades and what will they be based on ?,if its previous AS levels then what would the point of doing retakes in a gap year be as I will be restricted to what uni's I can apply to again... is the UCAS application different when you apply as an individual rather than with a school?

Thanks
Jimmy Fizzlewits
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shady778)
So basically, I am thinking of doing a gap year to take an extra A-level (Further-Maths) and I will need to get some sort of teaching. One option is to have a tutor which is fine, but are there are colleges that let you retake like say 1 A level and they teach you for free but you have to pay for your exams?

Second thing is about UCAS. I am confused as to how exactly I would be expected to fill in the application as who will set my predicted grades and what will they be based on ?,if its previous AS levels then what would the point of doing retakes in a gap year be as I will be restricted to what uni's I can apply to again... is the UCAS application different when you apply as an individual rather than with a school?

Thanks
I don't know much about doing A levels in a gap year, but I think it's unlikely you'd find somewhere that would teach you for free. I could be wrong though.

As for your UCAS issue: Unless wherever it is you intend to sit your further maths A level has someone who will set a predicted grade for you, you will have to explain in your UCAS application that you are going to sit an exam for an extra qualification and leave it at that. Either that, or you'll have to wait until next year when you receive your results!

UCAS will ask if you are applying as an individual or not. Although, you could contact your school to see if they would let you apply through them. I'm on a gap year and did that.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shady778)

Thanks
You can either enroll with a college and pay their fees, or you can teach yourself (books, internet etc) and only pay exam fees. You're unlikely to get anyone to teach you for free unless you have a friend who has done the subject - and even then they won't go over everything.

You need a referee for your UCAS application. They need to agree your predicted grades. If they really can't predict, they can say that in your reference, but your previous grades do give a good indication. If your referee is from your school they may insist you apply through them. If you apply as an individual it's not much different except you need to input referee contact details.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shady778
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for your help guys.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (14)
40%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
11.43%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (2)
5.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (7)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (4)
11.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise