Want To Do Cambridge Engineering: Didn't Do Further Math or Physics

Watch
walesjeffrey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Here's the problem: I want to pursue Engineering at Cambridge (not just cam, basically I want to do engineering), but I never took:

- GCSE Additional Math
- GCSE Physics
- A level Futher Math
- A level Physics

I'm in Year 12, It's 28th Janurary today, and registration dates for the June GCE-Exam Series had passed.

So I have a couple of questions:

a) Would it be possible to phone the test centre, and try to still register for the June Series, despite the payment deadline is passed about a month now.

b) If not, what is the exam results day for the October GCE Series (Both Edexcel or Cambridge)

c) If all the above fail, can I take the (Physics Aptitude Test) and the STEP test. Having proven my ability in Physics and Math, then during interview I will tell the interviewer that I shall submit my A-Levels in these two subjects later on.

Any other solutions to resolve this case is welcomed.

That's a lot of text, I'm sorry!

Thank You!
Jeffrey
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought that yesterday you wanted to study Computer Science & Electrical Engineering??? :confused:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=46134839
walesjeffrey
Rep:
?
Oh just realized I cannot double major in the UK, do you have any suggestions for me?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by walesjeffrey)
Oh just realized I cannot double major in the UK, do you have any suggestions for me?
As people on your other thread pointed out, there is no concept of a 'double major' in the UK although you can of course take joint subjects.

I can see that your lack of Physics and perhaps Further Maths handicaps you in the engineering field, but why have you dropped the idea of Computer Science?

I think you need to decide what you really want to study. At the moment, it appears that you just want to get into Cambridge or Oxford.
+ polarity -
Report 7 years ago
gf mate
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you really are this undecided then the best route for you is to step back and do some real hard thinking about what you do want to do and WHY.

Cambridge is I'm sure very nice, but its not the only Uni in the world and a degree from there does not guarantee you instant wealth and lifelong happiness. I think you need to get over this idea that Cambridge or Engineering in itself is some sort of magical answer to your failure to work out what you want to do with your life.

I'm assuming you are an overseas applicant. Have a look at a course like this -

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...international/
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Here's the problem: I want to pursue Engineering at Cambridge (not just cam, basically I want to do engineering), but I never took:

- GCSE Additional Math
- GCSE Physics
- A level Futher Math
- A level Physics

I'm in Year 12, It's 28th Janurary today, and registration dates for the June GCE-Exam Series had passed.

So I have a couple of questions:

a) Would it be possible to phone the test centre, and try to still register for the June Series, despite the payment deadline is passed about a month now.

b) If not, what is the exam results day for the October GCE Series (Both Edexcel or Cambridge)

c) If all the above fail, can I take the (Physics Aptitude Test) and the STEP test. Having proven my ability in Physics and Math, then during interview I will tell the interviewer that I shall submit my A-Levels in these two subjects later on.

Any other solutions to resolve this case is welcomed.

That's a lot of text, I'm sorry!

Thank You!
Jeffrey
GCSE Additional Maths has no effect on your application whatsoever but having no Physics and Further Maths on your application would mean that your chances of getting into Cambridge for Engineering are zero.
walesjeffrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
As people on your other thread pointed out, there is no concept of a 'double major' in the UK although you can of course take joint subjects.

I can see that your lack of Physics and perhaps Further Maths handicaps you in the engineering field, but why have you dropped the idea of Computer Science?

I think you need to decide what you really want to study. At the moment, it appears that you just want to get into Cambridge or Oxford.
I thought the cambridge engineering course includes computer science? I thought it'll be a merge of a bit of everything..
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought the cambridge engineering course includes computer science? I thought it'll be a merge of a bit of everything..
Have you read the course descriptions? I think you will find that they are completely different...
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
'Essential A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
Highly desirable A Level/IB Higher Level in a third mathematics/science/technology subject

Further Mathematics is strongly encouraged. If unavailable or you've recognised its desirability too late, we'd advise you to do as much additional pure maths and mechanics as possible, eg by taking stand-alone units or Further Mathematics AS/IB Higher Level.'

This is from their website, A level physics is essential so chances are you'd be automatically rejected as the vast majority of the applicants will fulfil this criterion. Email the admissions department to see if there is any way for you to get around this but I suspect there will not be.
walesjeffrey
Rep:
?
Thank you very much to you all!
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have no chance without A Level Physics. Also, the PAT isn't easy and without even GCSE Physics I highly doubt you could do well in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (177)
44.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.78%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.02%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (85)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.77%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.76%

Watched Threads