The Student Room Group

GCSE Science Tutoring - where to begin?

Hey guys,

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to put it. I'm in my fourth year of an integrated masters chemistry course and have been asked by a friend to tutor their daughter for GCSE Science. Thing is, I've never done tutoring before so could anyone advise where to begin? I genuinely don't know what to do with her / how to go through things. I've printed out a copy of the syllabus so I can see where it is she's having trouble with but other than that, I'm not quite sure what to do :s-smilie:

Thanks in advane!
Maddie
Original post by maddie91
Hey guys,

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where to put it. I'm in my fourth year of an integrated masters chemistry course and have been asked by a friend to tutor their daughter for GCSE Science. Thing is, I've never done tutoring before so could anyone advise where to begin? I genuinely don't know what to do with her / how to go through things. I've printed out a copy of the syllabus so I can see where it is she's having trouble with but other than that, I'm not quite sure what to do :s-smilie:

Thanks in advane!
Maddie

So you've got a copy of the specification which is the first step. Other than that, I'm not really sure what to suggest other than to 'teach'. Seeing as you're doing a masters, you're obviously going to have an excellent understanding of the GCSE content so you'll probably being going through the specification points and making sure she understands them all, clarifying points she doesn't understand etc. She'll probably have a textbook, so make sure you have a look at that when you see her to get a better idea of the content because the specification is very brief. A very useful thing to do is print off some past exam questions or make your exam-style questions. You can go through a couple in the tutoring session and leave her a few to complete independently for the next session.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest