Calling all Vegans and Vegetarians!

Watch this thread
ManicMetalhead
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Out of nothing other than curiosity, why have you chosen to become vegan/vegetarian?

I am neither vegan or vegetarian and meat is a large part of my diet at the moment, but I'm open to and respect both and I occasionally try a vegan meal or two (when I have time to cook them) especially with Veganuary coming to a close (in which I've tried a meal or two).

So to try and understand it a bit more, I always ask my friends and others why they have chosen to become a vegan or vegetarian, and I'm curious as to why any of you guys do it?

And going on one common answer from my friends, if all animals that are killed for meat were treated and slaughtered humanely (and this could all be proved!), would you return to/ start eating that meat?
xDave-
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I've been a vegetarian since I was 6 (22 now). I found out what meat was back then and thought that that was disgusting, so I stopped eating it. I still find it quite disgusting now; it smells, looks and feels very unappealing. Ultimately, I don't want to be playing around with bits of flesh and putting them inside me, I'm quite squeamish really.

In recent years, I've thought about what goes on more. I've seen videos of slaughterhouses and such and it's all quite repulsive. But animals that are used for purposes other than food are treated equally as inhumanely, so it's not exclusive to the food industry. Heck, even people are treated pretty inhumanely, so we're not going to help the animals until we've sorted ourselves out.

My major quarrel is when I see people waste meat, not actually eating it. I just find it quite disrespectful to bin meat; that animal was killed solely for your benefit, and you don't even have the decency to eat it. Then I see **** like this and it's just so disrespectful really. But, again, it's rare humans even show any respect to each other, so we're not going to do it to animals.
Swanbow
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
My major quarrel is when I see people waste meat, not actually eating it. I just find it quite disrespectful to bin meat; that animal was killed solely for your benefit, and you don't even have the decency to eat it. .
To be fair mate, I'm not going to take my chances on an expired piece of chicken or pork.
LeicsChick
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I've always been a veggie just because my family brought me up not eating it/cooking it in the house. I've tried the odd bit of chicken out of curiosity when my friends have asked me but just thought it was nothing special. Plus it seems really expensive?!
And yeah i love animals, the thought of eating dead ones doesn't appeal :P
freyarhia
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Environmental reasons, really. (I went from veggie to vegan to pescatarian to veggie to vegan again, ha!) Due to health issues I was advised against a vegan diet, but as soon as I went back on it I started to get better - so that's a large part of it, too. I feel much happier knowing my diet isn't harming any animals or having a serious effect on the environment.
WhimsicalSloth
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I do it for a number of reasons, but it has mainly been an ethical choice for me. My parents were always eager for me to know exactly what I was eating when I was young- for them it was a way for me to separate the healthy stuff from the unhealthier stuff. But the more I thought about it, I realised that there were a lot of issues with the food industry today and a lot of people that I knew were either unaware of it or simply blind to it.

I’m not the preachy type by any means but it’s just what I prefer to do.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Why would you want a living, breathing, conscious animal to have his neck slit so you can eat it, when you can just eat something that didn't have to die? For the same reason you probably wouldn't eat a cat or a dog, I won't eat a chicken or a cow.
ManicMetalhead
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Heck, even people are treated pretty inhumanely, so we're not going to help the animals until we've sorted ourselves out.
A very good point, until humanity gets to the stage that we can take care of one of our own humanely, without quarrels caused by disliking skin colour or beliefs, we'll never advance to the level of animal treatment that animals actually deserve.

My major quarrel is when I see people waste meat, not actually eating it. I just find it quite disrespectful to bin meat; that animal was killed solely for your benefit, and you don't even have the decency to eat it. Then I see **** like this and it's just so disrespectful really. But, again, it's rare humans even show any respect to each other, so we're not going to do it to animals.
Again, you make another very good point. Whenever I go buy food out I tend to go for big meals, but I know that I'll be able to eat it all and on the rare occasion that I don't, people that I'm with will finish it off for me so nothing is wasted. I too dislike seeing chunks of meat being carelessly thrown away and I'll always try to persuade people to eat it or tell them that to save it for me so I can have it another day (if I know them that is, otherwise it could get a bit weird)

I've never seen that Youtube channel before, but seeing some of the stuff that happens in those videos made me retch a little and I'm rarely ever squeamish. I'll make note not to visit it again.

(Original post by LeicsChick)
I've always been a veggie just because my family brought me up not eating it/cooking it in the house. I've tried the odd bit of chicken out of curiosity when my friends have asked me but just thought it was nothing special. Plus it seems really expensive?!
And yeah i love animals, the thought of eating dead ones doesn't appeal :P
You are definitely right there, most meat is bloody expensive!
username1221160
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Animals are conscious beings with personalities that feel pain, so it makes me very uncomfortable to know that they are being killed to satisfy my appetite.

But my main motives for being a vegetarian are because of the horrendous nature of factory farming and because of the environmental impact of eating meat.
xLilyP
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I just generally don't like killing things:/ the idea of eating dead things isn't appealing to me! Also I think it has made me be healthier? If you really love meat then I can see why it might be a problem but I was never that meat crazy anyway!
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I am not against eating meat as such but I don't feel comfortable with how the industry gets that meat onto your plate and the environmental effects don't help either. I've been veggie two years now and although yes, I do miss meat occasionally, the change in diet also made my diet healthier as I became more aware of what I was putting in my body which was an added bonus. If all meat was produced on small free range farms where the animals were treated well and killed fast and painlessly individually then I might eat it but that's too idealistic so it's easier to just cut it out completely. I think I could eat chicken if I was at a farm and was happy with all the conditions etc. but I doubt I'll ever be in that position. As for other animals, I think I'd find it difficult because although I don't disagree with eating meat, I'm not sure my digestive system would react well to something 'heavy' like steak plus being veggie has made me feel less okay about the killing side of things.
TerribleTej
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
As a Hindu I have been vegetarian since birth, but even now I don't eat meat because my religion specifically tells me to be non-violent where ever possible. As I only eat food from plants and trees I am only killing enough living things (yes plants are living things) for me to live. However I will be interested in eating lab grown meat as long as no animal is harmed from it.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm currently 'aiming' for veganism (other factors limit my diet so it's tricky, but I'm working on it).

For me, it's pretty much entirely about the environment. I'm comfortable with the idea of farming and killing animals for meat if they are housed and looked after well. But farming animals is so much more inefficient than farming plants directly, it's completely illogical. Why would you use up ten kilos of corn to make one kilo of meat, when you could just have ten kilos of corn to eat for yourself? [I made up those numbers, but it's along those lines] If everyone in the world wanted to eat as much meat and animal products as we westerners do, we'd have nowhere near enough space/resources/etc to keep that diet going. It's simply shortsighted.
phoebe-
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
When I was 13 I listened to The Smiths song "Meat is Murder". Until then I had been fairly dismissive of vegetarianism/ veganism due to my lack of understand and knowledge. Listening to that track in the dark on my own gave me a whole new perspective on what I was eating and how I was affecting things such as the environment and innocent beings. Listening to those poor animals being slaughtered I decided that it was not right for me to eat meat anymore. I looked into it some more and found that farming animals was hurting the environment as well as being completely lacking in empathy and that Westerners are going to be unable to continue this lifestyle without major changes.
Kiss
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by phoebe-)
When I was 13 I listened to The Smiths song "Meat is Murder". Until then I had been fairly dismissive of vegetarianism/ veganism due to my lack of understand and knowledge. Listening to that track in the dark on my own gave me a whole new perspective on what I was eating and how I was affecting things such as the environment and innocent beings. Listening to those poor animals being slaughtered I decided that it was not right for me to eat meat anymore. I looked into it some more and found that farming animals was hurting the environment as well as being completely lacking in empathy and that Westerners are going to be unable to continue this lifestyle without major changes.
You chose Morrissey as your inspiration? You do know he's a complete douchebag who thinks eating meat is on the same level as paedophilia?
phoebe-
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kiss)
You chose Morrissey as your inspiration? You do know he's a complete douchebag who thinks eating meat is on the same level as paedophilia?
I think Morrissey is a lot cleverer than people give him credit for.
We also have to remember that this song was released when Morrissey was 26 and his previous comment was made when he was/is 54. His views on this topic have become much more radicalised since then.
I personally like to think that Morrissey said that to bring the topic back into the public and get people talking about it because we don't see much of it in mainstream media.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (70)
66.67%
No (26)
24.76%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.57%

Watched Threads