The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary History

Hi,

Last month (16th December) , I applied for a PGCE in Secondary History, and my choices were Birmingham University, Nottingham University and Manchester Metropolitan University. Manchester Metropolitan Uni had closed their course before Christmas as it was full, and so I am still waiting on hearing from the other two unis, and I am still in Apply 1. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it may usually take to hear back if you got a rejection or interview? Is there anyone that has applied to these unis for a PGCE?

Also, is there anyone else who has applied for PGCE History aswell? It would be great to hear from you.

Reply 1
Original post by mjfisher17
Hi,

Last month (16th December) , I applied for a PGCE in Secondary History, and my choices were Birmingham University, Nottingham University and Manchester Metropolitan University. Manchester Metropolitan Uni had closed their course before Christmas as it was full, and so I am still waiting on hearing from the other two unis, and I am still in Apply 1. I was wondering if anyone knows how long it may usually take to hear back if you got a rejection or interview? Is there anyone that has applied to these unis for a PGCE?

Also, is there anyone else who has applied for PGCE History aswell? It would be great to hear from you.

Hi

I applied to Nottingham and was rejected without interview. They took ages and in the meantime id been offered an SD place.
I applied for Notts and had an interview and got rejected. I still don't quite understand my feedback since they told me I need more experience in schools even though I work full time as a TA.
I'm currently a History trainee at MMU if you have any questions :smile: good luck with the rest of your choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Alicep87
Hi

I applied to Nottingham and was rejected without interview. They took ages and in the meantime id been offered an SD place.

Hi Alicep87. Thanks for replying. I'm sorry to hear you were rejected at Nottingham, although I am glad to hear you got a place on the SD course. I understand how you mean when you say that Nottingham seem to take ages to get back - it's been 4 weeks now (around about just over 20 days) now that I have been waiting. I wrote an email to them last week just to see how things were going with my application, but haven't had any response back yet. Can you remember how many weeks/days it took for them by any chance to get back to you?

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by starryeyedkid
I applied for Notts and had an interview and got rejected. I still don't quite understand my feedback since they told me I need more experience in schools even though I work full time as a TA.

Hi, Thanks for replying back to me. I'm sorry to hear you were unsuccessful at interview at Nottingham, although I am surprised that you rejected with that amount of experience, as you have a lot more than the minimum they ask for. I was wondering what kinds of activities you did at the interview, and can you remember how many weeks/days it took for Nottingham to get back to you after you sent your application? Are you thinking of applying to any other unis? Good Luck with the rest of your application.
Reply 6
Original post by outlaw-torn
I'm currently a History trainee at MMU if you have any questions :smile: good luck with the rest of your choices!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi outlaw-torn, Thanks for replying back to me. Congratulations on getting onto the PGCE History at MMU. :smile: I applied last month at MMU but the course closed before the admissions got round to look at my application, so I did not receive a decision as such. If I don't get on a course this year, I am hoping to apply for MMU again next year. I was wondering if you might know how long it took for MMU to get back to you after you sent your application, and what kinds of things you did when you went for your interview (i.e. whether it was a group interview or individual one-to-one interview or a mixture of these)? Also, how are you finding the course? Also, I know it might be a bit late now (especially that I have sent my application off this year), but I was wondering, as you managed to get onto a PGCE, it would be ok if I could possibly please send you my personal statement for you to look through and provide some feedback/pointers? It's just this may help if I have to apply again next year aswell.

Last year i applied to 3 schools direct through MMU, then later through GTTR (but many places were gone) I had interviews with 2 schools lined up since December and then 5 days before the first interview i got an email from MMU saying that my degree was not "historical enough". Obviously I was very confused seeing as the 2 schools thought i was a strong candidate but MMU would not budge ( I had 4 years secondary school experience also). I had to cancel interviews and then got rejected from a string of universities for differing reasons. Obviously i was devastated, angry and concerned about my future.

For this years entry I competley re-did my personal statement and spoke in about about what I could provide in Teaching and how important history is to pupils, not just what i had done at my school. I got 2 interviews at the Universities that rejected me last year and yesterday I got an offer through from my choice provider!

Don't give up. Re-assess, re-apply and you will go far. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by prettyteacups
Last year i applied to 3 schools direct through MMU, then later through GTTR (but many places were gone) I had interviews with 2 schools lined up since December and then 5 days before the first interview i got an email from MMU saying that my degree was not "historical enough". Obviously I was very confused seeing as the 2 schools thought i was a strong candidate but MMU would not budge ( I had 4 years secondary school experience also). I had to cancel interviews and then got rejected from a string of universities for differing reasons. Obviously i was devastated, angry and concerned about my future.

For this years entry I competley re-did my personal statement and spoke in about about what I could provide in Teaching and how important history is to pupils, not just what i had done at my school. I got 2 interviews at the Universities that rejected me last year and yesterday I got an offer through from my choice provider!

Don't give up. Re-assess, re-apply and you will go far. :smile:

I've read this with interest as the first part seems to reflect my own experiences this year. In conclusion, concrete experience of working in a school and demonstrable knowledge of how lessons and teaching and learning happen is not important. What is important is a pretty sounding degree and lots of kiss ass words about how wonderful your subject is and how you will be the saviour of the school and it's pupils by teaching that subject.
Reply 9
Hi Alicep87. Thanks for replying. I'm sorry to hear you were rejected at Nottingham, although I am glad to hear you got a place on the SD course. I understand how you mean when you say that Nottingham seem to take ages to get back - it's been 4 weeks now (around about just over 20 days) now that I have been waiting. I wrote an email to them last week just to see how things were going with my application, but haven't had any response back yet. Can you remember how many weeks/days it took for them by any chance to get back to you?

Thanks

I think it was pushing the maximum time to be honest when they finally rejected. They were choice 3 for me so I wasn't bothered :smile: what happened in the end, did you get an interview?
Reply 10
I think it was pushing the maximum time to be honest when they finally rejected. They were choice 3 for me so I wasn't bothered :smile: what happened in the end, did you get an interview?

Hi Alice87, Thanks for getting back to me. It's the same with me. Yeah, UCAS updated today for Nottingham Uni saying course closed. I was confused about this for a while, but then rang the uni and someone told me that my application was unsuccessful (without interview).:frown: . I'm requesting feedback though. I'm worried now that I might be rejected for my other uni that I'm still waiting on (Birmingham), before I enter apply 2. I was wondering, how did you find it when you applied for School Direct - wee they more quicker in responding back to you? Also, I was wondering (I know it may be a bit late now for this year, although it may help if I applied next year again), but would it be ok if I possibly please send you my personal statement to have a look through and if you could possibly provide feedback/pointers? It's just as I have more than the min of experience (4 weeks), I've been quite worried as to whether this was letting my application down.
Reply 11
Hi I'm happy to send you mine if you like. I found the SD way quicker - they offered on the same day as interview! The training provider is the school rather than a Uni though which prob helps.
Reply 12
Hi I'm happy to send you mine if you like. I found the SD way quicker - they offered on the same day as interview! The training provider is the school rather than a Uni though which prob helps.

Hi, Thanks, I would really appreciate that.:smile: I will send you a provate message with my email address. I'm glad to hear that the School Direct is quicker, although as you mention that the training provider is the school does this mean that the school has the major influence in making the decision?
Reply 13
Hi, Thanks, I would really appreciate that.:smile: I will send you a provate message with my email address. I'm glad to hear that the School Direct is quicker, although as you mention that the training provider is the school does this mean that the school has the major influence in making the decision?

It was the sole decision of the school no Uni involved :smile: they offer qts only or qts with pgce and ironically I believe that my pgce element will be through nottingham
Reply 14
It was the sole decision of the school no Uni involved :smile: they offer qts only or qts with pgce and ironically I believe that my pgce element will be through nottingham

Hi, That is good to hear. :smile: I was wondering if you have sent me your personal statement by any chance yet? I have sent you a message with my email address. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest