The Student Room Group

Student finance and bursary! Help!

Hi all

Really hoping someone can help!! I want to get my student finance sorted nice and early but I'm confused about the household income... There is me and hubby at home so obviously I put his income, but do I also include my bursary??

Wish it was like being 18 and applying for undergrad again, no fee loan to worry about and just popping parents p60s in the post!! Aargh!!
Reply 1
Original post by Alicep87
Hi all

Really hoping someone can help!! I want to get my student finance sorted nice and early but I'm confused about the household income... There is me and hubby at home so obviously I put his income, but do I also include my bursary??

Wish it was like being 18 and applying for undergrad again, no fee loan to worry about and just popping parents p60s in the post!! Aargh!!

No you put what you earn and if you don't have a job that would be nothing.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
No you put what you earn and if you don't have a job that would be nothing.

Thank you! I have a job now but obviously will leave before the course so is that still no? Also, if I then get a part time job (8hrs a week or something) will this affect it?

Thanks for your help I feel really idiotic!!
Reply 3
ahhh I need help.
Applying for student finance, and i live with my mum and her boyfriend.. they're not married, and he's not my 'parent'. Do i still put his income in?? It seems so unfair as he doesn't pay for anything for me and it will stop me getting a full loan/bursary:frown:
Reply 4
Original post by abbie_Xx
ahhh I need help.
Applying for student finance, and i live with my mum and her boyfriend.. they're not married, and he's not my 'parent'. Do i still put his income in?? It seems so unfair as he doesn't pay for anything for me and it will stop me getting a full loan/bursary:frown:

What course are you applying for?

If this is for a PGCE (since you're in the Education Teaching forum...), it won't affect the bursary as these are not income based. So you get the amount based on your subject and degree classification rather than anything to do with your household income.

Tuition fee loans are the same - you are entitled to a loan to cover your tuition fees regardless of your income.

You can always get a "basic" maintenance loan (around £3,500 I believe) but to get more your family income needs to be below a certain threshold. This also affects means tested bursaries.

I would assume that as he is part of your household, your mum's boyfriend's income would count, unfortunately. But double check as it might be affected by how long they've been living together or something. I know when I applied for student finance (whilst living with my partner) I was still classed as dependent on my parents because we'd been living together for less than three years, whereas if we were married we would have counted as our own household. Weird. So perhaps something similar may apply if he hasn't been part of your household for that long.
Reply 5
I guess its sort of related to this. Im hoping to do a Chemistry PGCE and have a conditional place. Im trying to get my financial situation sorted sooner rather than later. I have my degree already, a 2:1. How does the bursary thing work; do you have to apply for it, and if so where?
Reply 6
Original post by SwimSamm
I guess its sort of related to this. Im hoping to do a Chemistry PGCE and have a conditional place. Im trying to get my financial situation sorted sooner rather than later. I have my degree already, a 2:1. How does the bursary thing work; do you have to apply for it, and if so where?

You don't have to apply for the bursary. Your university will sort it out for you (mine gave us a cheque for the first installment in the first week or so, and we had to fill in a form for bank details so they could pay the rest in by direct debit throughout the year).

If you want student finance (tuition fee loan) you still need to apply that, like for your undergraduate degree.
Reply 7
Original post by myrtille
You don't have to apply for the bursary. Your university will sort it out for you (mine gave us a cheque for the first installment in the first week or so, and we had to fill in a form for bank details so they could pay the rest in by direct debit throughout the year).

If you want student finance (tuition fee loan) you still need to apply that, like for your undergraduate degree.

Thank You so much for your help. Much appreciated. That's hopefully that all sorted then. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending