The Student Room Group

Single mother benefit entitlements while studying a BA (Hons) Degree Hi

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knew exactly what benefits you are entitled to as a single parent once you are studying a BA degree.

I have a 3 year old daughter and will be starting a Business & Management degree at Birmingham City University in September 2014.

My basic question, is what am i entitled to as a financial supplement?

I am currently studying an access course and am entitled to Income support, Child tax credits, Child benefit, Housing Benefit and council tax exemption.

I have heard that i will not be entitled to income support from unreliable sources, meaning i wont be entitled to housing benefits. Are there any provisions for single parents studying at university level?

I would really appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks

Kirstie :smile:
Reply 1
You are not looking for work then ?
Reply 2
Original post by Old_Simon
You are not looking for work then ?

Is this an actual answer to my question? I think not. I have not asked to be judged on reasons as to why i 'will not be working'. But thank you for your presumption.
Why would OP be looking for work when she has a child and is doing a (i assume) full-time degree?

If you arrange an appointment with your universities help centre there is usually someone there who can advise you on financial matters to make sure you're not missing out on anything.
Reply 4
Original post by allthetime
Why would OP be looking for work when she has a child and is doing a (i assume) full-time degree?

If you arrange an appointment with your universities help centre there is usually someone there who can advise you on financial matters to make sure you're not missing out on anything.

Thank u. Yes it will be a full time degree and i will be undertaking work placements during this. You are judged if your sat on your bum all day and watching Jeremy Kyle and now you are even judged for trying to better yourself and secure a better future for yourself and your child.
I will do this, i have an applicants visit day on Saturday so will arrange it when i am there. :smile::smile:
Reply 5
If you're the only adult in your home and you're a full-time student, then you'll be exempt from Council Tax. When you enrol, your uni will arrange to give you a Council Tax Exemption Certificate. Present this to your local council and they will suspend your Council Tax and refund anything that you've been charged in the meantime.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
If you're the only adult in your home and you're a full-time student, then you'll be exempt from Council Tax. When you enrol, your uni will arrange to give you a Council Tax Exemption Certificate. Present this to your local council and they will suspend your Council Tax and refund anything that you've been charged in the meantime.

Thank you for your reply :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending