The Student Room Group

A Level choice advice needed...

I am currently studying at AS in Business Studies, English Language, Sociology and Media Studies. I recently had mock exams and got good grades in all of my subjects apart from English Language in which I got a D. This has got me thinking about which of my subjects I want to continue on into an A Level next year.

I am hoping to study Marketing and Business Studies at University so I will definitely be continuing this as an A Level as it is an interest of mine and a subject I do well in. I got an A in this subject in my mock exams along with another A in Sociology and a B in Media. I have been left with the dilemma of which of the two subjects to drop at the end of the year: English Language or Media Studies? I think if I continued Media Studies I could get a good grade in it as it is something that interests me and that I have done well in in the past. English is a subject which I have struggled in since I started college and I don't think I would achieve a very good grade in it. However a lot of people refer to Media as a 'useless' subject with English Language apparently being more highly regarded. I just want to know if Universities would be interested more in three good A Level grades (supposedly Business, Sociology and Media) or two good grades and one poor/average one? I just think that if i'm interested in a career in marketing then why does it matter if I study Media at A Level rather than English?

Thanks.
Original post by hmmrjx
I am currently studying at AS in Business Studies, English Language, Sociology and Media Studies. I recently had mock exams and got good grades in all of my subjects apart from English Language in which I got a D. This has got me thinking about which of my subjects I want to continue on into an A Level next year.

I am hoping to study Marketing and Business Studies at University so I will definitely be continuing this as an A Level as it is an interest of mine and a subject I do well in. I got an A in this subject in my mock exams along with another A in Sociology and a B in Media. I have been left with the dilemma of which of the two subjects to drop at the end of the year: English Language or Media Studies? I think if I continued Media Studies I could get a good grade in it as it is something that interests me and that I have done well in in the past. English is a subject which I have struggled in since I started college and I don't think I would achieve a very good grade in it. However a lot of people refer to Media as a 'useless' subject with English Language apparently being more highly regarded. I just want to know if Universities would be interested more in three good A Level grades (supposedly Business, Sociology and Media) or two good grades and one poor/average one? I just think that if i'm interested in a career in marketing then why does it matter if I study Media at A Level rather than English?

Thanks.

I wouldnt worry about it too much at this stage. Its too early to be making those decisions anyway. Most 6th forms/colleges dont require you to have decided until you get your AS grades anyway. So carry on with them all, work hard and see what you get in your AS exams, then make your decision from there.

Quick Reply

Latest