Does wearing glasses make you disabled?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically me and my friends were filming for media AS and we were confronted by these two boys (about 11 years old) with slongshots. They soon left but not before one of them said 'don't go for him, he's disabled' -referring to the fact that I wear both glasses and have a squint.
Anonymous #1
*slingshots
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What the..
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're 11. There is your answer.
Casprules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're 11.... And no...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sparkle24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No.
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically me and my friends were filming for media AS and we were confronted by these two boys (about 11 years old) with slongshots. They soon left but not before one of them said 'don't go for him, he's disabled' -referring to the fact that I wear both glasses and have a squint.
A disability is something which has substantial and long-lasting effect on a person's ability to conduct all, or some, normal day to day activities (shopping, walking, talking, carrying, washing...).

Substantial means that it's not minor or trivial.

Long-term usually means six months or more (a condition can be re-occuring).

Having a squint and wearing glasses won't therefore leave you sufficiently "disabled" in itself, then, as I doubt your ability to conduct day to day activities is affected. Especially as the reason you wear the glasses is so they correct your vision.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you have an issue that means you have to use any means to compensate, then you're disabled. I wear glasses, that's a disability; I'm partially deaf, have ASD, and sometimes rely on a walking stick. Those are all disabilities.
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
If you have an issue that means you have to use any means to compensate, then you're disabled.
Not according to the Equality Act 2010 and, before that, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (see my post above). The definitions used in these is an "official" definition of disability.

For the purposes of the law treatment and correction are considered irrelevant. What is important is how a person is if they did not receive this treatment or correction.

However, spectacles and contact lenses are one of the few (the only?) corrective means that are taken into account. So what is important is how a person's sight is with these spectacles or contact lenses (not what it's like without them).

So someone who is just short sighted, and uses spectacles and these correct vision, is unlikely to be considered disabled.
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Report 7 years ago
No..
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In a word; No.
cupcakes87
Badges: 18
Report 7 years ago
no
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, they were 11, should say it all really.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. If you have a visual impairment which can't be corrected by glasses, then it is classed as a disability.
Bridget Jones
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it was, I think a LOT of people would be disabled, so no, don't think so
Seble
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To me, having to wear glasses, is an impairment. If glasses are unable to correct your vision, then I would class that as a disability.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Seble)
To me, having to wear glasses, is an impairment.
How? At least you have the luxury of corrected vision. Some of us don't.
Seble
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
How? At least you have the luxury of corrected vision. Some of us don't.
I was voicing my opinion on glasses not my own experience - one of my eyes has 20/20 vision, the other is blind, so no, not quite.
Anonymous #1
Thanks Guys
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Not according to the Equality Act 2010 and, before that, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (see my post above). The definitions used in these is an "official" definition of disability.

For the purposes of the law treatment and correction are considered irrelevant. What is important is how a person is if they did not receive this treatment or correction.

However, spectacles and contact lenses are one of the few (the only?) corrective means that are taken into account. So what is important is how a person's sight is with these spectacles or contact lenses (not what it's like without them).

So someone who is just short sighted, and uses spectacles and these correct vision, is unlikely to be considered disabled.
I can be as anal as you like regarding legislation, and if you want take "letter-of-the-law" into account, the OP didn't mention legislation. What makes you disabled is disabilities, not that the Equality Act says. Believe me, I've read it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.33%
England (108)
33.86%
Belgium (27)
8.46%
Germany (38)
11.91%
Spain (5)
1.57%