The Student Room Group

What do you do with these subjects at A-level?

I am in the midst of choosing my A-levels for next year. I've already decided to do German and most likely Biology (Both of which I enjoy)
Not completely sure about the other two. Perhaps English Lit and Drama?

So from your experience, what can you tell me about these subjects in particular? What do you do at A-level? Is this a wise combination?

If not, please suggest other subjects. Preferably subjects that are a much better replacement for English Lit and Drama (If any) because I'm pretty set on doing the former two.
(edited 10 years ago)
I can't judge on most of them but I have taken German. It's a really unique subject because it's a lot less structured than a lot of other courses. German lessons feel really relaxed (partly because of the really small class sizes) and it's really good fun and a nice break from the concrete structure of the other subjects I take. That said, it is also very difficult and the stress of the oral exam outclasses every other exam I've taken. But German's a really great language in my opinion and it's so useful!

That combination is certainly very interesting. What are you intending on doing after A Levels?
Reply 2
you're looking at it the wrong way round. What do you want to do after college? University or not? Pick your subjects based around completion plans.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
I can't judge on most of them but I have taken German. It's a really unique subject because it's a lot less structured than a lot of other courses. German lessons feel really relaxed (partly because of the really small class sizes) and it's really good fun and a nice break from the concrete structure of the other subjects I take. That said, it is also very difficult and the stress of the oral exam outclasses every other exam I've taken. But German's a really great language in my opinion and it's so useful!

That combination is certainly very interesting. What are you intending on doing after A Levels?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose a course that has German in it lol.
Not entirely sure on the specific details unfortunately. Maybe Bio with German? (Loved German ever since year 8, believe it or not)
Oh and thanks for the reply.
Original post by jtavinuya
I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose a course that has German in it lol.
Not entirely sure on the specific details unfortunately. Maybe Bio with German? (Loved German ever since year 8, believe it or not)
Oh and thanks for the reply.

The only issue with Biology with German courses is that a lot of them require Chemistry. Looking at Imperial College, for instance, all of their Life science with German courses require Chemistry. As odd as it sounds, you generally don't need biology in order to study biology courses.
Reply 5
Original post by ih094
you're looking at it the wrong way round. What do you want to do after college? University or not? Pick your subjects based around completion plans.

That's the thing though. I only have a vague idea.
Parents want me to do medicine or something of the like, but I feel very passionate about German.
And yes, I am planning on going uni. It's just the courses I'm unsure of
Reply 6
well medicine requires a lot of work experience, preferably maths, chemistry & biology and also additional exams. I suppose you could do those 3 + german for medicine? In all seriousness, don't study a course just because you're parents want you to do it. Study something you enjoy but also look into the prospects, is there anything else you like apart from german?
Reply 7
The only issue with Biology with German courses is that a lot of them require Chemistry. Looking at Imperial College, for instance, all of their Life science with German courses require Chemistry. As odd as it sounds, you generally don't need biology in order to study biology courses.

Yeah, that was one of the things I was worried about.
I'm not sure if I can cope doing another science A-level, especially Chemistry (Although I do prefer that over Physics)

I mean, obviously A-level Chem is hard. But what do you actually do at A-level Chem?
Reply 8
Original post by ih094
well medicine requires a lot of work experience, preferably maths, chemistry & biology and also additional exams. I suppose you could do those 3 + german for medicine? In all seriousness, don't study a course just because you're parents want you to do it. Study something you enjoy but also look into the prospects, is there anything else you like apart from german?

Yes I agree. Trying to convince my parents at the moment that the whole 'enjoyment over convenience' factor is much more important.

I also like the other subjects I initially mentioned: English and Drama.
But ultimately I don't really see a future strongly related to these subjects.
I mean, yes there is still a high possibility, but a slim one compared to the latter two subjects (Bio/German)
Yeah, that was one of the things I was worried about.
I'm not sure if I can cope doing another science A-level, especially Chemistry (Although I do prefer that over Physics)

I mean, obviously A-level Chem is hard. But what do you actually do at A-level Chem?

A Level Chemistry is bloody hard. But it's also bloody good fun. It's completely different from GCSE because at GCSE, everything you learn is basically a grossly simplified model of the actual reality whereas as at A Level, you learn (sort of) what actually happens.

It's a very varied course. For AQA at least, the basic content is:

Atomic structure, bonding and trends across the periodic table (which goes way beyond the things you do at GCSE and it explains so much about how things are).

Chemical calculations and naming compounds

Energetics, Kinetics and Equilbria (i.e. how reactions actually happen and what affects them) and Redox

Specific focus on Alkanes, Alkenes, Haloalkanes and Alcohols

Specific (minor) focus on the Group 7 and Group 2 elements

A little bit about the extraction of metals and analytical techniques

There's also a strong practical element and you learn a lot of laboratory technique which is a lot of fun and very useful. It's my hardest A Level and also my favourite.
Reply 10
I am in the midst of choosing my A-levels for next year. I've already decided to do German and most likely Biology (Both of which I enjoy)
Not completely sure about the other two. Perhaps English Lit and Drama?

So from your experience, what can you tell me about these subjects in particular? What do you do at A-level? Is this a wise combination?

If not, please suggest other subjects. Preferably subjects that are a much better replacement for English Lit and Drama (If any) because I'm pretty set on doing the former two.

I like biology, but personally sometimes the sheer amount of stuff I have to remember is bit overwhelming-especially in A2 but you get used to it and quickly learn the best way to deal with it. As with any subject, there are really boring dull topics (e.g. investigating populations yada yada...snore) but then there's also the juicy interesting topics (DNA and genetics for me:smile:)- so thats my experience with biology.

No idea about German but if you really enjoy it then i think you've made a good choice

And your other two A levels; I think it depends on what you want to do after your A levels- research what subjects are recommended for the career you want to pursue. I'd say pick one light(As in not hard) subject that you also enjoy or atleast don't mind doing (maybe drama fits the bill?) and one thats 'recommended'.

Most Colleges and sixth forms let you change your subjects if you decide you don't want to do it anymore...as long as it's not too late so don't worry too much about it.
Reply 11
Yes I agree. Trying to convince my parents at the moment that the whole 'enjoyment over convenience' factor is much more important.

I also like the other subjects I initially mentioned: English and Drama.
But ultimately I don't really see a future strongly related to these subjects.
I mean, yes there is still a high possibility, but a slim one compared to the latter two subjects (Bio/German)

English, German, Biology & Maths i think is a good mix for you. If you don't like Maths/ don't do very well in it you can always drop it in the second year anyway :smile:
Reply 12
A Level Chemistry is bloody hard. But it's also bloody good fun. It's completely different from GCSE because at GCSE, everything you learn is basically a grossly simplified model of the actual reality whereas as at A Level, you learn (sort of) what actually happens.

It's a very varied course. For AQA at least, the basic content is:

Atomic structure, bonding and trends across the periodic table (which goes way beyond the things you do at GCSE and it explains so much about how things are).

Chemical calculations and naming compounds

Energetics, Kinetics and Equilbria (i.e. how reactions actually happen and what affects them) and Redox

Specific focus on Alkanes, Alkenes, Haloalkanes and Alcohols

Specific (minor) focus on the Group 7 and Group 2 elements

A little bit about the extraction of metals and analytical techniques

There's also a strong practical element and you learn a lot of laboratory technique which is a lot of fun and very useful. It's my hardest A Level and also my favourite.

The idea of carrying out complex experiments along with all these calculations and equations seems daunting. Personally, I don't find GCSE Chem too difficult. On the other hand, yes, A-level seems difficult, even at first glance.

Honestly, I don't think I will choose Chemistry.
But hey, I have Sixth Form Taster Day tomorrow along with about a few months to sort it all out. So things might change.
Eh, you never know.
Reply 13
Original post by ih094
English, German, Biology & Maths i think is a good mix for you. If you don't like Maths/ don't do very well in it you can always drop it in the second year anyway :smile:

Hmm never considered Maths. I reckon I'm an A/B student for Maths, as I've never had the motivation to work hard for it because it's just so boring!

LOL but yes good point about the whole dropping out thing.

Hmm. Maybe I will.

(Actually on second thoughts, probably not)
Reply 14
you will easily get a C+ in mathematics if you're a A\B grade student with hard work, just keep your options open since the subjects at university with any a level requirements usually require mathematics !

Quick Reply

Latest