The Student Room Group

Commuting for Adult Nursing Degree?

Hi everyone :smile:
I've been offered a conditional place to study adult nursing at Manchester uni starting September 2014 and I'm thinking of going there.
I live about half an hour away in Rochdale, so I've decided to commute there and back everyday and I was wondering if anyone else was doing the same? I'm worried that if I don't live in the halls then I won't make any friends! I've heard all sorts of stories about people having problems with the halls and the noise levels which can be particularly distracting to those on the nursing course so that's really putting me off.
Also, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me the kind of timetable to expect during the first year. Would it be impractical to commute based on this?

Thanks in advance for any answers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by laurenmckenzie
I've been offered a conditional place to study adult nursing at Manchester uni starting September 2014 and I'm thinking of going there.
I live about half an hour away in Rochdale, so I've decided to commute there and back everyday and I was wondering if anyone else was doing the same? I'm worried that if I don't live in the halls then I won't make any friends! I've heard all sorts of stories about people having problems with the halls and the noise levels which can be particularly distracting to those on the nursing course so that's really putting me off.
Also, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me the kind of timetable to expect during the first year. Would it be impractical to commute based on this?

Thanks in advance for any answers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on your place. It is possible to make friends with people without living in halls. People talk to each other in lectures, on placement, in skills sessions and so on as well. Just as people who work make friends with their work colleagues. You'll find quite a large percentage of students studying nursing are older than your other students, many have families or live off campus.

Most universities accommodation departments try to put healthcare students together due to the nature of early starts and nights for placements, but they can still be noisy places. If you're desperate to get the full uni experience then maybe try talking to them to check whether this is the case for them.
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt

Most universities accommodation departments try to put healthcare students together due to the nature of early starts and nights for placements, but they can still be noisy places. If you're desperate to get the full uni experience then maybe try talking to them to check whether this is the case for them.

Manchester don't do this - everyone is mixed in together.

Original post by laurenmckenzie

Commuting wouldn't be a problem, and there's always a lot of people on nursing degrees with families and who are mature studies - I imagine a fair number will be living at home. Living in halls won't necessarily be a problem though - not all halls are noisy, and even if there is the occasional loud night, you get used to it. There are a lot of other students doing degrees who will need early nights, and can't always be partying away, you won't be alone in that sense. Maybe you could live in halls for the first year, and then see about commuting for your 2nd and 3rd years if it still suits you? Your timetable will be busy, but by no means the busiest at the university for first year - expect to be in every day for several hours at least, and remember that you could have a lecture at 9 and a lecture at 4, which will make for quite a long day of you keeping yourself busy. Obviously there's practical training and placements, but it's hard to predict what they'll be like.
Reply 3
Thanks! Really appreciate the detailed replies :smile: I feel better about commuting now, let's hope I have a good timetable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending