dvice from any MSc Integrated Immunology candidates or alumni!

Watch
mhzia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I would supremely appreciate advice from any MSc Integrated Immunology candidates or alumni!
drbad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey mhzia,
I am an international student too, currently taking the course, and so far so good. Its a bit intensive, but interesting too!

I recieved the interview notification through email early February last I think (or January), about 5 days before the interview. They stated it will be over the phone, will run for about 30minutes, by so and so people, at so and so time, etc.

I had my interview over the phone, with three guys on the panel (Prof Austyn, 1 medic, and 1 physician-scientist), and it lasted about 40mins. They asked questions about my transcript (why that "C" there, why a "B" there, etc), about work/lab experience (my CV in general), and then immunology-based questions. I had expressed alot of interest on a particular disease in my personal statement so they mostly asked questions on the immunology of that disease such as the causative agent's life cycle, which immune response is required to clear the bug at which stage (humoral vs cellular), types of CD4 T-cells (Th1, Th2, etc), and so on. Basic stuff I think that you can probably get from the introductory chapters of most immunology texts.

With regards to scholarships, one of the guys on the course now (not from the US) is on the Clarendon scholarship. The only guy from the US is sponsoring himself I guess. Colleges have bursaries too, but its usually like 100 GBP for travel to conferences (which doesn't really apply to us), etc.

On travelling to and from the US, I think it might be easy. The guy in our class from the US got his visa a few days before starting the course and he was still able to make it. And he paid around 500 GBP just a few days ago for a return ticket to go and do some stuff for a few days back at home and come back. So yeah, I think its easy if you've got 500 GBP lying around!

There is no organized transport for MSc students to the JR, and most of us buy bus cards (400+ GBP for the whole year), and others get bikes (100+ GBP) and cycle daily. Some use both. Some even walk (30mins per trip on average).

I hope this helps, and good luck. It is an interesting course, and the city is awesome!
mhzia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by drbad)
Hey mhzia,
I am an international student too, currently taking the course, and so far so good. Its a bit intensive, but interesting too!

I recieved the interview notification through email early February last I think (or January), about 5 days before the interview. They stated it will be over the phone, will run for about 30minutes, by so and so people, at so and so time, etc.

I had my interview over the phone, with three guys on the panel (Prof Austyn, 1 medic, and 1 physician-scientist), and it lasted about 40mins. They asked questions about my transcript (why that "C" there, why a "B" there, etc), about work/lab experience (my CV in general), and then immunology-based questions. I had expressed alot of interest on a particular disease in my personal statement so they mostly asked questions on the immunology of that disease such as the causative agent's life cycle, which immune response is required to clear the bug at which stage (humoral vs cellular), types of CD4 T-cells (Th1, Th2, etc), and so on. Basic stuff I think that you can probably get from the introductory chapters of most immunology texts.

With regards to scholarships, one of the guys on the course now (not from the US) is on the Clarendon scholarship. The only guy from the US is sponsoring himself I guess. Colleges have bursaries too, but its usually like 100 GBP for travel to conferences (which doesn't really apply to us), etc.

On travelling to and from the US, I think it might be easy. The guy in our class from the US got his visa a few days before starting the course and he was still able to make it. And he paid around 500 GBP just a few days ago for a return ticket to go and do some stuff for a few days back at home and come back. So yeah, I think its easy if you've got 500 GBP lying around!

There is no organized transport for MSc students to the JR, and most of us buy bus cards (400+ GBP for the whole year), and others get bikes (100+ GBP) and cycle daily. Some use both. Some even walk (30mins per trip on average).

I hope this helps, and good luck. It is an interesting course, and the city is awesome!
Hey drbad, thanks so much for replying! I actually got an invite for the interview next week so I was hoping to get as much information as I can on the whole interview process in order to prepare. If you don't mind me asking, how would you describe the interviewers and the interview itself? The email I received stated the interview would be informal, but how was the level of intensity? I've read that that the interviewers grill you pretty intensely when in comes to your prior biological science background. My degree is in biological sciences and I've had some immunology. I've actually downloaded some research papers by Dr. Austyn. Since I mentioned in my PS my interest in tumor immunology, I've been reviewing cancer immunotherapies and the like in case such questions come up. Do you advise reading anything else in preparation for the interview? I would tremendously appreciate any pointers. Thanks in advance and good luck with your studies!
drbad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey mhzia, congrats on the interview! The interviews were pretty intense for all of us (that I know of), but then all Oxford interviews are probably intense. If I were to go back in time, I will probably have read the first chapter of either Exploring immunology (Jon's textbook, first chapter can be downloaded free) or Janeway immunobiology. It will most-likely be great if you know something about Tumour immunology too (the basics, immunotherapy, vaccine efforts, any stuff on the news with regards to that, etc). I am not sure if any papers by Jon might help, but at least it shows you are probably better prepared than I was before my interview. I didn't really prepare that much for the interview, and I am a doc so you probably know more immunology than I do. If you make it to the interview, I guess they must think highly of you already. Even if the interview is difficult, do not worry. They mostly just want to see where your weaknesses are, so that if you get in they can advise you on mending that before you start the course.

In summary, make sure you know the stuff in the first chapter of Jon's book, some basic tumor immunology, be confident and don't worry about it if its intense.
ishbha
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by drbad)
Hey mhzia, congrats on the interview! The interviews were pretty intense for all of us (that I know of), but then all Oxford interviews are probably intense. If I were to go back in time, I will probably have read the first chapter of either Exploring immunology (Jon's textbook, first chapter can be downloaded free) or Janeway immunobiology. It will most-likely be great if you know something about Tumour immunology too (the basics, immunotherapy, vaccine efforts, any stuff on the news with regards to that, etc). I am not sure if any papers by Jon might help, but at least it shows you are probably better prepared than I was before my interview. I didn't really prepare that much for the interview, and I am a doc so you probably know more immunology than I do. If you make it to the interview, I guess they must think highly of you already. Even if the interview is difficult, do not worry. They mostly just want to see where your weaknesses are, so that if you get in they can advise you on mending that before you start the course.

In summary, make sure you know the stuff in the first chapter of Jon's book, some basic tumor immunology, be confident and don't worry about it if its intense.
Hi drbad!

I just got my interview invitation yesterday and its scheduled for monday.
Extremely nervous. So in my SOP ive written a bunch of stuff clinical immunology. Eg: interest in TB (Indian scenario) and Dr. Austyn's paper on adjuvants etc. I mentioned im interested in pursuing immunomodulation (the problem is dont exactly know what) so in how much detail should i be knowing about vaccines, drugs etc- considering that's what im interested in and theyll definitely ask me about it?

SO NERVOUS!

Also, all the best mhzia!
sanamao
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ishbha)
Hi drbad!

I just got my interview invitation yesterday and its scheduled for monday.
Extremely nervous. So in my SOP ive written a bunch of stuff clinical immunology. Eg: interest in TB (Indian scenario) and Dr. Austyn's paper on adjuvants etc. I mentioned im interested in pursuing immunomodulation (the problem is dont exactly know what) so in how much detail should i be knowing about vaccines, drugs etc- considering that's what im interested in and theyll definitely ask me about it?

SO NERVOUS!

Also, all the best mhzia!
Hey how did your interview go?
I have my interview on thursday?... was it hard, what sort of stuff do they ask?
ishbha
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sanamao)
Hey how did your interview go?
I have my interview on thursday?... was it hard, what sort of stuff do they ask?
Hey!
it was pretty good theyre really nice and wasn't hard at all!
Make sure you know your theory though.
Let me know how it goes!

Good luck
x
ishbha
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
anyone got an acceptance letter?
sanamao
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ishbha)
anyone got an acceptance letter?
I got accepted ^_^ what about you?
ishbha
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sanamao)
I got accepted ^_^ what about you?
Wait listtt! but im not too sure about the chances of getting through the wait list. Any idea?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.51%
I need help researching courses (6)
8.11%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.41%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
40.54%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
25.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.7%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.05%

Watched Threads