The Student Room Group

Possible A level choices please help!!

Hi so at the moment i'm doing GCSE's and i'm having to make my A level choices. I am still unsure of which courses i want to do for definite but i think i have a general idea. I want to go down the route of journalism so i was thinking of doing English language, Media, Sociology and Biology for A level. are these good choices? The only concerns i have are im grade A in English language but only a C for literature and i'm only grade B at Biology. Any help would be great thanks!
Personally, I'd say the best recommendations for going into journalism are:

- English Literature
- A language
- English language
- Sociology
Reply 2
Original post by Jackus Packus
Hi so at the moment i'm doing GCSE's and i'm having to make my A level choices. I am still unsure of which courses i want to do for definite but i think i have a general idea. I want to go down the route of journalism so i was thinking of doing English language, Media, Sociology and Biology for A level. are these good choices? The only concerns i have are im grade A in English language but only a C for literature and i'm only grade B at Biology. Any help would be great thanks!

I personally wouldn't do biology with a B at GCSE because it is hard! There are people with A*s at GCSE that have dropped to a C grade at AS :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I wouldn't recommend biology. I got an A* at gcse and am currently on a B for as and predicted an A this year.
The exams are harder than you think they are gonna be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks for everyone's help so far! I was thinking as not many people recommend biology should i change it for psychology? I don't do any languages and English lit is a definite no for me. Maybe Economics as i study business?
Why is Eng Lit 'not a good choice' ? If you have problems dealing with creative text then is journalism really a realistic career option?
Reply 7
Economics goes well with business! Psychology is very widely used in journalism too and the subjects are equally as difficult with economics being more maths based and psychology more science based, so are you better at maths or science? Economics is hard at A2 with plenty of graphs to construct but still do-able!
Reply 8
well i'm at a point where i'm simply not sure at the moment i'd say i'm definitely better at science but with some extra revision i could be better at maths. In regards to English lit i still have time to improve so we'll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply

Latest