The Student Room Group

Society will totally degenerate unless public smoking is phased back in.

I know cancer and all those lung diseases are a pain in the arse and fouling up the NHS and ****, but overall the long standing open vilification of smokers cannot be allowed to continue. One only needs to look at continental cafe society to see that a coffee or a beer or lunch followed by some sort of smoke is absolutely fundamental to our social and intellectual well being. If you do anything to excess yeah then of course its gonna do bad **** to you, but an occasional social fag or spliff with a book or a companion is probably gonna yield far more mental benefits than lentil bashing or injury inducing personal exercise in a germ filled sweaty gym. It must be said too that pub culture in this country is absolutely incomplete without this natural accompaniment to a drink or meal and the homosexuals that legislate for this stuff need to understand this. The smell you get in pubs now is actually even worse than ever and probably lets face it is probably no more healthy than it was before.

Not only do we need to reinstate tobacco, but also cannabis cafes need to be introduced to High Streets up and down the land. Nothing ridiculous, just somewhere where you can have a coffee and blaze. It has worked brilliantly in Holland, and will definetly reduce the amount of alcohol fuelled violence and anti-social behaviour (something which Labour worsened through legalising 24 hr drinking) in this country. All in all with the widespread legalisation of cannabis and the re-instation of smoking and all things masculine and proper, our urban centres can once again become a hub of social and intellectual activity as they are throughout most of Europe.

I can honestly say as well, that all the most interesting people out there seem to be smokers. I would not even consider a bird that didnt like a puff and buy everyone a round for the main reason that lady smokers are frankly a fabulous **** and in to some of the filthiest **** around; so that alone is a good enough reason for making it mandatory. cheers
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I wondered if your post even deserves an intellectual response.

Smoking is optional, breathing is not. No thank you.

You're clearly a pot head as you display the selfish 'I want to smoke' attitude, without considering the majority of the population who want to go about their day without having to inhale your ****. If you want to smoke, do it on your own and not at other peoples health.
(edited 10 years ago)
People have tried, repeatedly to implement European style cafe-culture in the UK, everytime it has failed miserably.
Reply 3
Original post by Pegasus2
I wondered if your post even deserves an intellectual response.

Smoking is optional, breathing is not. No thank you.

You're clearly a pot head as you display the selfish 'I want to smoke' attitude, without considering the majority of the population who want to go about their day without having to inhale your ****. If you want to smoke, do it on your own and not at other peoples health.

What was wrong with smoking rooms? Aka everyone in the room consents to smoking or second hand smoking?
Reply 4
Original post by mojojojo101
People have tried, repeatedly to implement European style cafe-culture in the UK, everytime it has failed miserably.

Main reason we're too north.... we only have european style cafe weather about 2 month of the year... maybe 3.

Many dutch cannabis cafes actually have more in common with british cafes than European ones.
Reply 5
Obvious troll is obvious.
Reply 6
New member eh? :smile:
Reply 7
Just reading this gave me cancer.
Original post by Mutual_Euphoria
and the homosexuals that legislate for this stuff need to understand this.

Just going to focus in on this bit here to ask what? No, seriously, what? Are you 12?
Reply 9
Original post by DanB1991
What was wrong with smoking rooms? Aka everyone in the room consents to smoking or second hand smoking?

It was never confined to the rooms though, it's smoke. It permiates the air no end.

The smell of cig smoke is rancid to most people, not to mention the health aspect, even now smokers congrigate outside the entraces to buildings.

There is also the litter aspect as well, but thats another side to it.
Reply 10
It was never confined to the rooms though, it's smoke. It permiates the air no end.

The smell of cig smoke is rancid to most people, not to mention the health aspect, even now smokers congrigate outside the entraces to buildings.

There is also the litter aspect as well, but thats another side to it.

By that logic no-one can smoke anywhere but an airlock.....

The second hand smoking causing harm argument actually relies on being in a pretty smoky environment constantly. A waft of smoke is going to do no more harm than most aerosols your come in contact with. Actually normal smoke can be just as damaging.

Being next to a smoking room with a closed door and good ventilation would be akin to living next to a busy road in air pollution terms, and I'm sure petrol/diesel fumes do much more damage.

I remember my housemate complaining about someone next door smoking in their back garden... simple solution close the door + windows.
Reply 11
By that logic no-one can smoke anywhere but an airlock.....

The second hand smoking causing harm argument actually relies on being in a pretty smoky environment constantly. A waft of smoke is going to do no more harm than most aerosols your come in contact with. Actually normal smoke can be just as damaging.

Being next to a smoking room with a closed door and good ventilation would be akin to living next to a busy road in air pollution terms, and I'm sure petrol/diesel fumes do much more damage.

I remember my housemate complaining about someone next door smoking in their back garden... simple solution close the door + windows.

Good, people should smoke in their own homes and gardens if they choose and no where else. It's their choice to smoke, it's not my choice to breath it in. I shouden't have to relocate everytime someone decides to light up.

It's not a waft though, non smokers are forced to move away. In the city where I live, you can't get 3 minutes outside without breathing some cig smoke in nearby by somone passing or what not. Bus shelters are the worst. You forget that the majority of cig smoke is invisible and oderless.

Your argument about petrol diesel fumes is valid, however there was a paper written studying these affects and it was less damageing to sit in a closed garage with a diesel car than with three lit cigs. Air polution from cars is a big problem, I know, I cycle in the city and can smell the fumes from cars and it worries me quite a lot.

In student halls I was unlucky enough to live with two smokers who smoked in the living room and people smoking outside my windown, no end of door or window sealing could stop it. That is MY personal space being invaded by smoker's crap.

You forget that 2/3 of the population don't smoke and have a right to breath unpolluted air, as everyone does and not suffer for the sake of someone elses percieved enjoyment.

I used to work in a bar and you can't imagine how much my quality of life improved when the smoking ban came into force.
Reply 12
Your argument about petrol diesel fumes is valid, however there was a paper written studying these affects and it was less damageing to sit in a closed garage with a diesel car than with three lit cigs. Air polution from cars is a big problem, I know, I cycle in the city and can smell the fumes from cars and it worries me quite a lot.

Errr closed garage with a car.... that would kill you or cause serious damage... carbon monoxide poisoning.
Reply 13
Errr closed garage with a car.... that would kill you or cause serious damage... carbon monoxide poisoning.

About 25 years ago. Ever heard of a catalytic converter? ...obviously not.

There is some pretty nasty crap in both of them and given the choice i'd prefer to inhale neither.
Hate public smokers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending