Beethoven recommendations Watch

Asclepius1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have never really listened to classical music, until recently I listened to Beethoven's nine symphonies and it has enthused me greatly - I was wondering if you could recommend something of a similar nature to listen to next - particularly by Beethoven but also by others? Thank you!
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The next obvious step would be to listen to his piano concertos. The Zimerman recordings are excellent and available on YouTube.

In terms of music by other composers, Rossini and Mozart are both accessible and may help you to appreciate other forms (e.g. opera).

Out of interest, which symphonies did you enjoy the most and least?
Asclepius1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
The next obvious step would be to listen to his piano concertos. The Zimerman recordings are excellent and available on YouTube.

In terms of music by other composers, Rossini and Mozart are both accessible and may help you to appreciate other forms (e.g. opera).

Thank you very much! My favourite was Symphony No. 9 especially Op. 125 Ode to Joy- especially enjoyed the singing but also Symphony 4 particularly op 60: Adagio allegro vivace. My least favourite was probably Symphony No.8
Lord Harold
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Asclepius1)
Thank you very much! My favourite was Symphony No. 9 especially Op. 125 Ode to Joy- especially enjoyed the singing but also Symphony 4 particularly op 60: Adagio allegro vivace. My least favourite was probably Symphony No.8
How dare you!!!!! Symphony 8 is probably my favourite or maybe 3! It is so underappreciated I think, 8 is the best!!!
Alleykat606
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Asclepius1)
I have never really listened to classical music, until recently I listened to Beethoven's nine symphonies and it has enthused me greatly - I was wondering if you could recommend something of a similar nature to listen to next - particularly by Beethoven but also by others? Thank you!
All other symphonies basically haha. Special mention go to numbers 3, 5, 6 and 8. Look out of recordings by LSO, Berlin Phil, Cleveland, New York, Chicago, Vienna, Boston etc.

Listen to his piano concerti - absolutely gorgeous (especially no. 4 and 5). Since you love the 9th symphony I'm guessing you're into the whole 'heroic' period of Beethoven - listen to his piano trios, his piano sonatas (in particular the Waldstein, the Hammerklavier, the Appassionata, Moonlight, Les Adieux, Pathetique, the list goes on!), music from Fidelio, Egmont Overture and the rest. Regards to recording, I'd suggest Daniel Barenboim for the piano sonatas, and perhaps for his concerti - Rubinstein, Ashkenazy, Horowitz, Kempff, Pollini, Gulda.

There really isn't another style/composer to match Beethoven, but if you want to have a look around for music that stirs up the same level of emotions as does Beethoven, take a look at the Russians - they know how to do this stuff - Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff (especially his piano concerti), Shostakovitch (especially his 5th and7th Symphonies). Look at Liszt, Brahms, Chopin, Alkan, Schumann, Mozart, Dvorak (9th symphony obviously), Ravel, and Holst's Planets are very popular - think you'll love them if you liked the 9th symphony.

Sorry to bombard you with composers! This is only the tip of the iceberg, so get listening
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)

I studied number 1 so that's perhaps my fav.
Asclepius1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all for your replies

(Original post by Alleykat606)
Sorry to bombard you with composers! This is only the tip of the iceberg, so get listening
I am currently addicted to Caccini - L'Euridice (Act 1.Scene 2-2)
dorababy1995
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No-one has mentioned Beethoven's variations for piano. They're absolutely fantastic!
lilacunicorn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Symphony 7, Movement 2 is a sonic beauty! Debussy is also one of the masters of classical. Apart from the obvious many who are known by many classic enthusiasts, I think Gymnopedie No.1 by Erik Satie is from whom has struck me the most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed