Iqra98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi
I'm in y11 and I'm thinking to hopefully become a lawyer in the future. I just wanted some information on what law is about at university and the sorts of things you learn because I know you don't have to pick it at A-level to study it at uni. I'm currently thinking of picking English literature, biology, chemistry, psychology at A-level, is that a good choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're fine.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because very few students do law A level universities often have a lot of info on their web sites about law. They are keen to encourage access. Cambridge for instance has loads of stuff on the syllabus etc. Also look at York maybe. Its a different type of course.
zahysf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iqra98)
Hi
I'm in y11 and I'm thinking to hopefully become a lawyer in the future. I just wanted some information on what law is about at university and the sorts of things you learn because I know you don't have to pick it at A-level to study it at uni. I'm currently thinking of picking English literature, biology, chemistry, psychology at A-level, is that a good choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your choices are not bad. If you're lucky, your literature texts will cover lots of law-related issues. the rest can perhaps arouse your interest in medical law whatsoever. But you're still young, your perspective may change in the future.

All I can say is work really hard for your AS. The grades will help you a lot. Also your ps etc of course.
SuWoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would recommend replacing one of the sciences with History. Law is a rigorous subject that requires good essay writing skills, a great deal of reading (approximately 250 pages per week) and a good memory, as you will need to memorise loads of cases.
Sesshomaru24U
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SuWoo)
I would recommend replacing one of the sciences with History. Law is a rigorous subject that requires good essay writing skills, a great deal of reading (approximately 250 pages per week) and a good memory, as you will need to memorise loads of cases.
Agreed with this guy here, especially about the reading. Also don't think the reading at A-level is anything close to that of law. Law reading is ridiculous. Alas, challenging.
FloRo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you'd benefit from having more essay based subjects, like history. Philosophy or religious studies, depending on what your school offers, would also be a good grounding in the skills necessary for law.

If you're set on biology and chemistry and feel you could do well then go ahead with them, but in my opinion they may not be the best of grounding for law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As well as a couple of good essay based subjects as suggested - maths is a very good subject generally because it requires acute attention to detail and logical and precise thought. Just an idea.
euphrosyne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing Law next year (fingers crossed) and I do both English Lit and History along with Chemistry and Maths (which I dropped :rolleyes:). The people above me recommending History are spot on. Having both English Lit and History, I have to read like a trillion books :lol: And I literally, no joke, get 3 essay homeworks per week. It will train you superbly for Law at higher education. If you compare my Year 12 analytical essays to my Year 13 ones, you won't believe that they're both written by the same person. Your writing skills improve tremendously, along with your reading.
Plus, by having a science and/or Maths, your logical thinking improves and you become a more versatile student. It also gives you more flexibility to choose something else in case Law doesn't work out.
If I were you, I'd swap Biology with History, unless you're interested in Medical Law, then I'd swap it for Psychology.
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To give another perspective, I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry at A-Level and am now doing a law degree. I do not think it is necessary to do an essay-heavy subject at A-Level to succeed on a Law degree, and I have never felt that I was disadvantaged in any way by not having done one.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
To give another perspective, I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry at A-Level and am now doing a law degree. I do not think it is necessary to do an essay-heavy subject at A-Level to succeed on a Law degree, and I have never felt that I was disadvantaged in any way by not having done one.

Many Uni law departments say differently. They like essay based A levels somewhere in there.
Iqra98
Rep:
?
(Original post by FloRo)
I think you'd benefit from having more essay based subjects, like history. Philosophy or religious studies, depending on what your school offers, would also be a good grounding in the skills necessary for law.

If you're set on biology and chemistry and feel you could do well then go ahead with them, but in my opinion they may not be the best of grounding for law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I have English literature & psychology as my essay based ones however do u think I should re-consider a science for another essay type ?
Iqra98
Rep:
?
(Original post by euphrosyne)
I'm doing Law next year (fingers crossed) and I do both English Lit and History along with Chemistry and Maths (which I dropped :rolleyes:). The people above me recommending History are spot on. Having both English Lit and History, I have to read like a trillion books :lol: And I literally, no joke, get 3 essay homeworks per week. It will train you superbly for Law at higher education. If you compare my Year 12 analytical essays to my Year 13 ones, you won't believe that they're both written by the same person. Your writing skills improve tremendously, along with your reading.
Plus, by having a science and/or Maths, your logical thinking improves and you become a more versatile student. It also gives you more flexibility to choose something else in case Law doesn't work out.
If I were you, I'd swap Biology with History, unless you're interested in Medical Law, then I'd swap it for Psychology.
Hi, thank you so much that was really helpful, I wasn't looking to go into medical law actually i was more thinking family law . I've already picked English literature and psychology as my essay based A-levels However as your already going into law would you recommend that I change one of my sciences to something like philosophy (which I find more interesting than history lol) or history?
SuWoo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, thank you so much that was really helpful, I wasn't looking to go into medical law actually i was more thinking family law . I've already picked English literature and psychology as my essay based A-levels However as your already going into law would you recommend that I change one of my sciences to something like philosophy (which I find more interesting than history lol) or history?
When you are at university you will have to do compulsory modules such as Contract, Tort and Criminal. However, you will also have the choice to select from a wide range of optional modules, such as Family and Medical Law. I would imagine if you were applying to a Family law firm for your training contract, they would be more concerned about your grade achieved in that module, as opposed to any related A-Level subjects, although they may take them into consideration.
FloRo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks, I have English literature & psychology as my essay based ones however do u think I should re-consider a science for another essay type ?
I, personally, would drop the psychology. Law is so competitive and psychology isn't as viewed as highly as it should be. I would suggest philosophy or RS, simply because you can then talk about your ability to argue difficult points with reason and logic, analytic skills etc.

Perhaps keep the science as you may change your mind and that leaves your options open, and shows that your a diversely able student.
Le Nombre
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by euphrosyne)
Trust me, you have no idea. The essays will decrease, the reading is on a totally different scale.

Most people say History was useful, but if you're happy with your current choices stick with them, after all the current President of the Supreme Cout is a chemist.
zahysf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would say Literature is not that bad. Look at the course structure and the benefits. Skills gained will more or less be like history but of course the syllabus is different. Lit uses lots of in-depth interpretation of things - reading fiction (fun bit) but also having to look at its historical/influences. Best of both worlds, really. Good luck~ You're on track anyway.
Amirax
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Law is an interesting topic to study at University. You must have the passion and interest to actually pursue your chosen career path. There are a lot of writing, reading and researching to do when studying law. I am currently in my final year at University. I have so much work to do! I've never been so stressed in my life, but I know when all this is over, it will be worth it in the end. There are different modules each semester, e.g. Criminal law, tort law etc. You need to be familiar with a lot of cases.

I would advise you to pick your A-Level subjects wisely and according to your chosen career path. If I were you then I would choose to study law, so that you are more familiar with the background when you go on to study it at University. I would also choose English language, IT and Sociology. These subjects are related to some aspects of law. You will understand more about it, once you study it. I hope this information is useful to you. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed