The Student Room Group

If you could wake up tomorrow and speak 5 languages fluently, what would they be?

Mine would probably Chinese, Arabic (Gulf dialect), Spanish, French and either Russian or Italian.

What would you choose and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Spanish (covers the whole of South America apart from Brazil)
Portuguese (covers Brazil)
Chinese (would love to travel round China & know what I'm doing... Plus it might help when the Chinese take over the World)
Thai (would consider living there one day)
Maybe Japanese, or French, not sure about the last one.

Basically to cover places I'd like to travel to which don't already speak English.
(edited 10 years ago)
British English, American English, Canadian English, Australian English, New Zealand English
Reply 3
Does this include the languages I already speak fluently?

If not then:

Swedish, Chinese, French (I speak half fluently at the moment), Spanish and Finnish.
Dog (the woofish dialect), Penguin, Spider (to get them to leave me alone), Slug (to get them to leave my plants alone), Tree (I'm sure they'd make great conversation partners when I'm lonely).
French, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese.
Mandarin, Hindi, Russian, Japanese, French, in that order.

Don't think much of the Hispanosphere or Islamosphere. They're big but useless.
Well I already speak English and German, so I would probably go with
1. Russian, so I can get involved in lgbt activism
2. Spanish because it is becoming the 2. world language and is a huge plus on the U.S. job market
3. Italian because I have many friends in Italy
and of course (4) French because in my opinion it is the most beautiful language in the world. (I actually started studying it on my own time)
That would already make 6 in total
Why would you like to speak Arabic, if I may ask? :smile:
French, Spanish, German and Mandarin because they're so useful but also Twi (Akan) so my parents can't talk about me in front of me anymore because I would understand what they're saying :smile:
Reply 9
In no particular order:

French
Spanish (Convenient, since so many people speak it.)
German
Chinese (Mandarin)
Japanese
Reply 10
Japanese would be my main one, not sure about the rest. I suppose it makes sense to choose French, Spanish, German and Italian.
Reply 11
Original post by Observatory
Mandarin, Hindi, Russian, Japanese, French, in that order.

Don't think much of the Hispanosphere or Islamosphere. They're big but useless.

The whole of South America is useless? In terms of the people or...?

Some of the most amazing nature & scenery exists in South America...
Probably Spanish, Mandarin, Russian, German and Italian. (I already speak French....and English obviously :P)
Mandarin
Italian
Russian
Polish
Spanish
Arabic (classical), Arabic (other dialects), French, Italian and Welsh.
Hindi / Punjabi
Spanish
Arabic
Mandarin
Malay / Thai / Japanese

i am near conversational in german so european languages are out!
Reply 16
Additionally to English: Arabic, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and French/Farsi- covers the highest population of the world (and no. of countries) and is the most useful in terms of business and traveling.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bonfire_heart
Well I already speak English and German, so I would probably go with
1. Russian, so I can get involved in lgbt activism
2. Spanish because it is becoming the 2. world language and is a huge plus on the U.S. job market
3. Italian because I have many friends in Italy
and of course (4) French because in my opinion it is the most beautiful language in the world. (I actually started studying it on my own time)
That would already make 6 in total
Why would you like to speak Arabic, if I may ask? :smile:

I'm pretty interested in going into business when I'm older. I know it isn't the most predominant language in the business world but I know it's useful - Places like Dubai want to make me learn it as well :biggrin: Also, contrary to a lot of people, I actually think it sounds quite beautiful. Much like French, as you mentioned, but beautiful in a different kind of way. Although I don't believe in religion (and I hope no one tries to start a religious debate against me) I do find the culture and religious literature quite interesting and beautiful.
Reply 18
At the moment, I can speak three languages fluently (Czech, English, Spanish), so my other two languages would be Modern Standard Arabic and Persian.
(edited 10 years ago)
Spanish
French
German
Swedish
Mandarin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending