The Student Room Group

What should I do next year? A-levels or GCSEs

Hey everone,

I want to be a Doctor when I am older.

However I am in Year 12 now and I had a bad few months with some bad teachers and dropped out of AS Levels (which were Eng Lit, Histiry and Classics). So I have now started a Jan start Level 2 Course in Performin Arts and I am retaking GCSE Maths as I want a B or an A. However my current GCSE results are:
Science - D
Additional Science - D
History - C
English - C
Maths - C
I.T. - C
R.E. - C
Digital Applications - Credit
Film - A
Photography - B

I have an appointment tomorrow with the A-Level Sciences teachers tomorrow at college and I am hoping to convince them to let me do all 3 sciences at level or at least Biology and Chemistry starting this September. However, if they say no, should I take GCSEs next year in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology and English or go down another route. Also if I take GCSEs next year will I have to pay for the second year of A-Levels? Also, how do I convince the teachers to let me take A-Levels in Sciences starting this September?

Sorry about the long post.

Thanks,
Ben.
Reply 1
I hate to be this blunt, but there's no way you're going to get into medicine with those GCSEs.
I think you need to retake your GCSE's, medicine is very competitive
Reply 3
There is no way your going to get into medicine with those grades you need A* and As at GCSE and at A-levels, But if you are interested in entering the health profession you could consider becoming a pharmacist....its an option you know :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest