The Student Room Group

Why do oversea's students have to pay more for University education?

Just an argument i was having today, sort of stems from immigration arguments etc.

Basically, if someone is born in an third world country or developing country without access to quality higher education, why should they pay upwards of £16000 a year for university education?

It's not there fault they were born in a country with less - they should pay an equal amount and everyone should compete for university places - there shouldn't be a 'quota' of any nationality... it should be based purely on who would gain the most from university, and academic merit.

I know bursaries are available but that barely brings the cost down at all. Also, universities should absolutely not be able to make money by exploiting the misfortune of others.
Reply 1
Because the governments limits how much they can charge for home students (and I think EU students) but not the rest, so they change what they feel is the correct price. (I may be wrong here) Some courses still cost more than the £9000 that people pay, if there wasn't a government limit the rest would be paying extra too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicso

It's not there fault they were born in a country with less - they should pay an equal amount and everyone should compete for university places - there shouldn't be a 'quota' of any nationality... it should be based purely on who would gain the most from university, and academic merit.

And how exactly is the UK expected to cope when all of its graduates return to their country of origin and it is left with no skilled labourers?
The UK government subsidise the fees for their nationals in the hope that the talent will stay in the country and add to the economy. EU citizens I think get help due to the free movement of people but I'm a bit sketchy on details. It may be unfair but unfortunately and ultimately I don't think universities discriminate - they charge the same for everyone it's just that the government subsidises their own nationals so it appears to be a sharp contrast. Compare £9k with no tuition fees for scottish students in scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
why should they pay upwards of £16000 a year for university education?

Why should I, the tax payer, pay for foreigners who are then likely to return to their own country afterwards and thus offer no benefit to this one?
Reply 5
International Student's pay the actual cost plus some fee and local students who've paid/parents have paid taxes which subsidies the discounted cost get to reap that benefit. There is also far more socioeconomic benefit if someone local gets the upper level education than if someone international does then possibly leaves to their home country.
It used to be the case, until the 1980s, that international students paid no fees, just like UK students. However, Thatcher changed this as it was fairly poor value for money unless you count increasing our 'soft power'.
Reply 7
Original post by michaelhaych
And how exactly is the UK expected to cope when all of its graduates return to their country of origin and it is left with no skilled labourers?

I don't think UK allows uni grads to stay easily. I'm sure there are a lot of UK grads who would love to stay but can't.

The smarter immigration policy would allow those uk grads who find jobs to stay.
Reply 8
Just an argument i was having today, sort of stems from immigration arguments etc.

Basically, if someone is born in an third world country or developing country without access to quality higher education, why should they pay upwards of £16000 a year for university education?

I know bursaries are available but that barely brings the cost down at all. Also, universities should absolutely not be able to make money by exploiting the misfortune of others.

Why should they pay the same as someone whose parents have been paying towards the system for years.
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
Why should they pay the same as someone whose parents have been paying towards the system for years.

Makes sense. I think international students should pay the cost of education and nothing more, however universities end up charging more than the cost of education and lowering admissions standards slightly to get this money.
Original post by ukmed108
Makes sense. I think international students should pay the cost of education and nothing more, however universities end up charging more than the cost of education and lowering admissions standards slightly to get this money.

Given the level of English of some of the international students I've met I agree
Reply 11
Original post by michaelhaych

Maybe by making it less than a pain in the student's ass to get a work permit once he/she graduates?

It strikes me as quite funny how people like to go on and on about immigration and yet there seems to be little concern about the lack of a "post-study visa" for international students who graduated from an UK university, having paid enormous fees to do so. It is bad for absolutely everyone involved.

Anyway, obviously the fact that overseas students never paid taxes in the UK is at the core of the subject. However...which home student actually pays 9,000 pounds upfront? There are a number of financial aids available - the student loan itself is highly beneficial. To charge foreign students sometimes more than 50% of that value seems hardly reasonable.

International students are the only ones who are treated on the "show me the money" basis, which then might (as it does) lead to their being accepted into universities due to this very same fact. So much for the closing of bogus colleges "selling immigration, not education", huh?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Heteronym
Maybe by making it less than a pain in the student's ass to get a work permit once he/she graduates?

It strikes me as quite funny how people like to go on and on about immigration and yet there seems to be little concern about the lack of a "post-study visa" for international students who graduated from an UK university, having paid enormous fees to do so. It is bad for absolutely everyone involved.

Anyway, obviously the fact that overseas students never paid taxes in the UK is at the core of the subject. However...which home student actually pays 9,000 pounds upfront? There are a number of financial aids available - the student loan itself is highly beneficial. To charge foreign students sometimes more than 50% of that value seems hardly reasonable.

International students are the only ones who are treated on the "show me the money" basis, which then might (as it does) lead to their being accepted into universities due to this very same fact. So much for the closing of bogus colleges "selling immigration, not education", huh?

not for the UK graduates who would be competing with the international students for the jobs. And actually we all pay the universities upfront, just with a loan from student finance.

And yes some international students get into courses due cash as much as ability but at least they are on a proper course where they have to attend and do coursework e.c.t A lot of the bogus colleges didn't require students to turn up at all and the courses were non existant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending