The Student Room Group

Should I decline my offers in August and reapply for medicine?

I'm currently applying for biomedical science and have got offers from Durham, Warwick, York and waiting on Bath, already got a rejection from Oxford which was expected.

I've been thinking for a a number of months now about re-applying for medicine for 2015 entry (so a gap year would be taken). Its not something I've just thought of on the whim and I'm really in a dilemma as to whether I follow it or not!

I'll give you a brief academic overview 6A*s 3As 1B(Stats only had 3 months to do coursework and the course itself) at GCSE then predicted A*AA at A-level in Chemistry, Biology and Classics(Ancient History). A few of my teachers scorned when I mentioned applying next year saying my grades weren't adequate from AS (I got AA in Chem and Biology and BB in Ancient History and English Lit plus an A in pointless General Studies). So I'm very undecided whether i will make the cut or not, I've always had a bit of an academic confidence problem by comparing myself to others in my classes etc!

I've been working at a nursing home for nearly 3 years now and this has really spurred me on to possibly pursue becoming a Doctor.

So my proposed plan is to after results day (providing i get my predictions, hopefully with luck and hard work exceed the,) declining my offers and reapplying for medicine the year after. Could anyone shed some light on whether this is just a plain stupid thing to do or whether it is feasible? I hate feeling like I could be missing this opportunity and do not want to waste 3 years doing biomedical science when I could be loving the medicine course which interests me more!

Very sorry for the rant! Don't expect any of you to read it all haha :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by seanbolton94
I'm currently applying for biomedical science and have got offers from Durham, Warwick, York and waiting on Bath, already got a rejection from Oxford which was expected.

I've been thinking for a a number of months now about re-applying for medicine for 2015 entry (so a gap year would be taken). Its not something I've just thought of on the whim and I'm really in a dilemma as to whether I follow it or not!

I'll give you a brief academic overview 6A*s 3As 1B(Stats only had 3 months to do coursework and the course itself) at GCSE then predicted A*AA at A-level in Chemistry, Biology and Classics(Ancient History). A few of my teachers scorned when I mentioned applying next year saying my grades weren't adequate from AS (I got AA in Chem and Biology and BB in Ancient History and English Lit plus an A in pointless General Studies). So I'm very undecided whether i will make the cut or not, I've always had a bit of an academic confidence problem by comparing myself to others in my classes etc!

I've been working at a nursing home for nearly 3 years now and this has really spurred me on to possibly pursue becoming a Doctor.

So my proposed plan is to after results day (providing i get my predictions, hopefully with luck and hard work exceed the,) declining my offers and reapplying for medicine the year after. Could anyone shed some light on whether this is just a plain stupid thing to do or whether it is feasible? I hate feeling like I could be missing this opportunity and do not want to waste 3 years doing biomedical science when I could be loving the medicine course which interests me more!

Very sorry for the rant! Don't expect any of you to read it all haha :smile:

It seems you've really thought about this. If I was you I would go for it because your GCSEs are great and if you get your predicted grades then their isn't really a reason for you to be rejected.

Having said that I would advise you to do the UKCAT before you decline your offers just in case. If your fail that your chances as some uni's would severely diminish. Other than that you should really have a problem as you have work experience and you can plan out your gap year to get some more. Make sure you write a killer personal statement.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cngentles
It seems you've really thought about this. If I was you I would go for it because your GCSEs are great and if you get your predicted grades then their isn't really a reason for you to be rejected.

Having said that I would advise you to do the UKCAT before you decline your offers just in case. If your fail that your chances as some uni's would severely diminish. Other than that you should really have a problem as you have work experience and you can plan out your gap year to get some more. Make sure you write a killer personal statement.

Thank you so much! Yes I will definitely try out a few UKCAT papers, thanks for mentioning those! :smile:
Reply 3
Why don't you defer entry to you biomed offers? You can have your biomed offer on reserve while you apply for med. You won't be able to take UKCAT for a while. Registration opens in march and I'm sure the first test date is after ucas final decision day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Conniey
Why don't you defer entry to you biomed offers? You can have your biomed offer on reserve while you apply for med. You won't be able to take UKCAT for a while. Registration opens in march and I'm sure the first test date is after ucas final decision day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you able to do that? I wasn't sure whether you could hold deferred entries and also apply for another course!
Reply 5
Original post by seanbolton94
Are you able to do that? I wasn't sure whether you could hold deferred entries and also apply for another course!

I think so. My friend did it this year. Worth checking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Get your very best at A2 and make sure you do well in general studies too because medicine is so competitive (everything counts) and some skills shown in a general studies grade translate to medicine application process and to the course partly. Its quite a difficult degree to get onto, but you won't help yourself doing biomed if it will be a "waste" of time for you. Get some more variety in you work experience also although that is an insane length of time at that nursing home!
Good luck to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks! I've spoken to my chemistry teacher and she think i should definitely do some work experience shadowing a doctor to solidify my decision!
Reply 8
Original post by Conniey

Posted from TSR Mobile

first date for ukcat is 1st of July.
Reply 9
If you are considering medicine for the right reasons then I would advise you go for it whilst it's not too late. Work experience shadowing doctors could be a limiting factor so start contacting people and places right now, don't procrastinate like I did!

I didn't apply for any course during year 13 and only decided on A2 results day to take the risk and apply for medicine during my gap year. So far I have had 3 interviews and received 2 offers. I had to work incredibly hard for the following 2 months to get work experience, a decent UKCAT score, choose where to apply, write the statement and apply for HCA jobs before the October deadline. A lot of luck was involved, and I did already have worthwhile long term volunteering and extra-curriculars. But it has all paid of as so far I have had 3 interviews and received 2 offers.

I think it is definitely feasible and not too late, your GCSEs are really good, you just need to work hard and put in lots of effort! Good Luck! Also I know Durham lets you submit another statement, so you could reapply to biomedical science there as a 5th choice if they don't let you defer it..
Reply 10
Original post by 1901
If you are considering medicine for the right reasons then I would advise you go for it whilst it's not too late. Work experience shadowing doctors could be a limiting factor so start contacting people and places right now, don't procrastinate like I did!

I didn't apply for any course during year 13 and only decided on A2 results day to take the risk and apply for medicine during my gap year. So far I have had 3 interviews and received 2 offers. I had to work incredibly hard for the following 2 months to get work experience, a decent UKCAT score, choose where to apply, write the statement and apply for HCA jobs before the October deadline. A lot of luck was involved, and I did already have worthwhile long term volunteering and extra-curriculars. But it has all paid of as so far I have had 3 interviews and received 2 offers.

I think it is definitely feasible and not too late, your GCSEs are really good, you just need to work hard and put in lots of effort! Good Luck! Also I know Durham lets you submit another statement, so you could reapply to biomedical science there as a 5th choice if they don't let you defer it..

That's amazing, well done! Can I ask what experience you yourself did in prep for the application? :smile:
Reply 11
Your AS grades really aren't a problem, tonnes of medicine applicants get offers with worse - as long as you have the predicted grades and are confident you can get 3As then your AS grades flat out do not matter.
Reply 12
Original post by Conniey

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, you can't do this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending