Turn on thread page Beta

From Body cells to Stem cells; a new dawn of medicine watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture12968.html

TL;DR - they found in mice that you can take somatic (body) cells, expose them to sublethal, low pH conditions, and they regain their pluripotency. Effectively converting Body cells to Stem cells, with the potential to completely remove the ethic issues surrounding stem cells, and bring medicine into a new era. Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Anything involving altering cells scares me, what if it causes cancer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    What if it turns you into Wolverine?

If it can help people, as long as it is rigorously tested I think it's a brilliant idea.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's why clinical trials exist. If a procedure does cause cancer, it will never get anywhere near being prescribed for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    What if it turns you into Wolverine?

If it can help people, as long as it is rigorously tested I think it's a brilliant idea.
    Thalidomide was extensively tested but look what happened there.

ReputationRep:
    Thalidomide was extensively tested but look what happened there.
    No it wasn't. That is the whole reason why nobody realised it was teratogenic until too late.

The extensiveness of the FDAs entire drug trial programme is because of the **** up with Thalidomide.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.