Turn on thread page Beta

What are the best philosophical arguments for God's existence? watch

ReputationRep:
    Discuss.

What does everyone think of Gödel's ontological argument?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with axioms 2, 4 and 5 out of the 5 axioms used. I don't think it is a very strong proof at all.

ReputationRep:
    Socrate

ReputationRep:
    Plato's analogy of the cave.
    Perfect forms must exist and are universal; free from human perspective therein lies The truth aka God

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pikachu123)
    Plato's analogy of the cave.
    Perfect forms must exist and are universal; free from human perspective therein lies The truth aka God
    That's not a philosophical argument.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    the open goal religious types have is that you cannot get something from nothing.

it certainly is their strongest argument and at the moment science cannot refute it.

ReputationRep:
    The Design Argument possibly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just look at the deeply beautiful world around us.. I think that is the best possible proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sylosis)
    Just look at the deeply beautiful world around us.. I think that is the best possible proof.
    The world around us can be explained by science.

ReputationRep:
    Only God could fill in the huge holes in the universe.

The holes in 'knowledge' (or, more importantly, the holes in most people's appetite to learn beyond the point where it has fulfilled a 'career' or a 'hobby').
    The holes in talent.

The physical holes in the great vacuum of the universe.

The emotional holes.

Only God could make it fair that a great artist could die penniless and unappreciated, his life's work keeping average people who had no relation to him in comfortable wealth.

If there is no God - or if we do not BELIEVE in God - it is very simple.

We would all just be pissing about for absolutely no good reason.

This is not a philosophically 'valid' argument of God's existence. But since God would be beyond logic , we know that any argument one way or another is always doomed to end in bias / heresay anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I look at this world and see millions of starving children and thousands of women raped. This is not a beautiful world at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    The world around us can be explained by science.

(Original post by Juichiro)
    I look at this world and see millions of starving children and thousands of women raped. This is not a beautiful world at all.
    I guess no one recognised a troll when they see one

ReputationRep:
    I guess no one recognised a troll when they see one
    I've heard that line spoken truthfully so many times by some many different people that I now automatically assume it's always spoken sincerely.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that there is nothing that can ever fully satisfy our wants, desires, happiness, etc. Thus, there has to be something to fill the void, and that would be a higher power. How could we have the capability and never be able to reach it?

Also, I believe the concept of emotions helps to justify religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloquai)
    I've heard that line spoken truthfully so many times by some many different people that I now automatically assume it's always spoken sincerely.
    I think that there are good arguments for the existence of God that require examination of the universe. So in some sense I'm not entirely joking but the traditional 'look how beautiful the world is' is not the position I'd take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt_g96)
    I would say that there is nothing that can ever fully satisfy our wants, desires, happiness, etc. Thus, there has to be something to fill the void, and that would be a higher power. How could we have the capability and never be able to reach it?

Also, I believe the concept of emotions helps to justify religion.
    This is a logical fallacy- the genetic fallacy. The origin of the belief is irrelevant to the validity of the claim being made here.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there are good arguments for the existence of God that require examination of the universe. So in some sense I'm not entirely joking but the traditional 'look how beautiful the world is' is not the position I'd take.
    Amen to that last sentence.

Could you possibly outline and describe what these arguments are?

ReputationRep:
    This is a logical fallacy- the genetic fallacy. The origin of the belief is irrelevant to the validity of the claim being made here.
    how so?

ReputationRep:
    We can't explain a few things => God exists.

There can never be a viable reason for believing in God. It is not a sensible to do under any circumstance.

Back in the 15th century, we didn't know anything about the orbit of the Earth around the sun. We deemed it an act of God. We now know the mechanism behind it and we aim to understand the fundamentals behind it by truly understanding gravity.

Maybe we never will, but that is no justification for making something up.

Of course, physicists do that in the form of string theory, but at least that's based on SOME truths that we've tried to find.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.