The Student Room Group

If I fail at being SNCO or officer what about airman?

Hello all

I'm applying to be a SNCO in the RAF at the moment. Although I'm fairly confident I'll get in, if I'm unsuccessful at going for that position I would happily go for an airman role. Does anyone know if I would have to start the application process all over again, or would they take it on a case-by-case basis and go from there?

Many thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I failed the test at Cranwell last July for officer and applied for airmen in August, you do need to start from the beginnin tho cause it's a new application. You goin for ATC?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
There is no direct entry to SNCO. However if you go the airman route and go aircrew; promotion to SNCO for people like loadmasters and the like, comes with the position and is very rapid.
Reply 3
Are you a loadmasters? Do you have any idea when WSOp might be open again? I'm guessin not but just thought I'd ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jebbadiah
Are you a loadmasters? Do you have any idea when WSOp might be open again? I'm guessin not but just thought I'd ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just mention loadmasters as example.

Internally RAF often lets airman transfer to aircrew. They are very keen on developing their people - much better than the army.
Reply 5
Original post by Old_Simon
There is no direct entry to SNCO. However if you go the airman route and go aircrew; promotion to SNCO for people like loadmasters and the like, comes with the position and is very rapid.

Careful how you phrase that, because WSOp and SNCO ATC would disagree rather vehemently that there's no direct entry SNCO...

And Loadmaster... eesh, haven't heard that one in a while!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Careful how you phrase that, because WSOp and SNCO ATC would disagree rather vehemently that there's no direct entry SNCO...

And Loadmaster... eesh, haven't heard that one in a while!

Well I think I am right in saying that those guys are not SNCOs as they step through the door. They maybe by the end of their training. Terminology I guess. I wouldn't quibble as to if that is direct entry to SNCO. You know a lot more than I do.
Reply 7
Well I think I am right in saying that those guys are not SNCOs as they step through the door. They maybe by the end of their training. Terminology I guess. I wouldn't quibble as to if that is direct entry to SNCO. You know a lot more than I do.

But you wouldn't say someone isn't going in as Officer because they're not one on day 1, would you? So both WSOp and SNCO ATC are direct entry SNCOs.

But, to answer the OP, yes, a new application is almost always needed. Pain in the arse, but that's the way it goes, annoyingly.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
But you wouldn't say someone isn't going in as Officer because they're not one on day 1, would you? So both WSOp and SNCO ATC are direct entry SNCOs.

But, to answer the OP, yes, a new application is almost always needed. Pain in the arse, but that's the way it goes, annoyingly.

OK. I agree. It is a long long time since I was weightless in the back of a Herc !
Reply 9
Im going for Direct entry SNCO ATC. You're a sergeant after finishing training
Reply 10
Many thanks for the responses. That's really annoying. I would have thought that if I'm going for SNCO, but would be more than happy to go for airman in a different role they would speed things up, like, for example, not having a second interview if I've already successfully passed one as part of a SNCO application
Reply 11
I failed the test at Cranwell last July for officer and applied for airmen in August, you do need to start from the beginnin tho cause it's a new application. You goin for ATC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask how long it took you when you began your new application? Did they speed things up given how far you'd got already?
Reply 12
Air Loadmaster, like everything in the RAF is extremely nancy.

Do the same job for lower pay, worse conditions and much poorer promotion prospects by going for 47AD Sqn in the Army. You will wake up in the morning (next to some gawjus woman no doubt) loving yourself, instead of secretly despising yourself for being so soft.
Clip - you really do need to stop being such a throbber. The RAF is for cleverer kids than you. I'd rather spend a career checking in than digging in so get over yourself and your problems. This is a careers forum - you know where ARRSE is, if you have the cohones to post there.
Reply 14
Original post by x_rae_g
Many thanks for the responses. That's really annoying. I would have thought that if I'm going for SNCO, but would be more than happy to go for airman in a different role they would speed things up, like, for example, not having a second interview if I've already successfully passed one as part of a SNCO application

That's one way of looking at things, but the other is to remember that the application process - including interviews and tests - is designed to assess your suitability for a particular role. They check your knowledge and understanding of that trade, what it entails, where you may go, what you may do, etc... If you're then to change your trade, that entire segment of the application process is redundant and they need to restart it to make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for - and so they know they're investing money in someone who's prepared properly.
Reply 15
Original post by x_rae_g
Can I ask how long it took you when you began your new application? Did they speed things up given how far you'd got already?

They didn't speed anything up as it's a new application for a new role, so everythin I did before was irrelevant I'm guessin. Except studying for the officer tests made the ASTs seem easy. I applied in August and passed my medical in November, just waitin for prtc date now but they said it's gunna be summer!

For now focus on doin ya best at Cranwell for ya ATC tests! Treat it as if it's your only option! ATC or nothin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I just mention loadmasters as example.

Internally RAF often lets airman transfer to aircrew. They are very keen on developing their people - much better than the army.

So there's a good chance I could go from ASOp to WSOp? Once they open the role again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So there's a good chance I could go from ASOp to WSOp? Once they open the role again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well maybe not instantly. But they really do encourage upwards progression. A lot of aircrew navigators and the like start as airmen and commission from the ranks. Anything is possible.
Reply 18
Is it true age restrictions are slackened off abit for serving members?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by ProStacker
Clip - you really do need to stop being such a throbber. The RAF is for cleverer kids than you. I'd rather spend a career checking in than digging in so get over yourself and your problems. This is a careers forum - you know where ARRSE is, if you have the cohones to post there.

You keep going on about this - but it's actually if you thought about it - you're the one who's completely lost all perspective.

In every other section of the careers forum, medicine, pharmacy, banking, engineering - this would be considered exceptionally mild. In every other section of this forum, there aren't people like you wagging fingers about not giving too much reality.

But wait - why not reject all actual experience and opinions and just go with back-slapping and empty encouragement?

Am I giving "bad" advice? Is it not entirely qualified by fair pros and cons? According to you - let's not hear it.

Quick Reply

Latest