Anyone with an MSc in PUBLIC POLICY & ADMINISTRATION?

Watch
Miss ISE
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi. I'm applying for an MSc in PUBLIC POLICY & ADMINISTRATION at LSE and would like to know if anyone is studying or has studied this (not necessarily at LSE though).

Could you please please share your thoughts on the degree?

• What exactly were you taught or did you learn? (I'm having a hard time gathering enough information on what the course is really about)
  • Was/is it worth it?
  • Did/ do you find it interesting? What were/ are your best parts/courses?
  • What was your undergraduate degree in?

Any information will be valued. Thanks so much in advance :-)
katiegud
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Not exactly the same, but I have an MPA (Master of Public Administration); not from LSE though. We had a lot of different course options in my program, so you could specialize in a certain area (I went with government policy analysis). Other people focused on non-profit management, city management, economic development, etc. LSE might have different options, but I imagine the basic courses (intro to public administration, research methods) would be the same and then you would choose a focus area.

I did enjoy my MPA course, and currently work in a job that utilizes the degree. I'm a performance auditor for a state government (US). Hoping to go for a PhD soon.

My undergraduate degree was in the totally unrelated area of Animal Sciences.
sj27
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I know someone who did this course. I don't know all the details you ask for, but undergrad was in development, and has worked in both the UK and EU parliaments since graduating.
Miss ISE
Rep:
(Original post by katiegud)
Not exactly the same, but I have an MPA (Master of Public Administration); not from LSE though. We had a lot of different course options in my program, so you could specialize in a certain area (I went with government policy analysis). Other people focused on non-profit management, city management, economic development, etc. LSE might have different options, but I imagine the basic courses (intro to public administration, research methods) would be the same and then you would choose a focus area.

I did enjoy my MPA course, and currently work in a job that utilizes the degree. I'm a performance auditor for a state government (US). Hoping to go for a PhD soon.

My undergraduate degree was in the totally unrelated area of Animal Sciences.
Thanks so much for that. I really appreciate it. I was also thinking about an MPA but it's 2 years (as opposed to the MSc which is a year) and I'm not really ready for that. The programme looks AMAZING though [with a year abroad in Columbia University]. And yes, you're right, the core modules are an introduction to public policy and research methods.

Also good to know you transitioned well. My undergrad degree is in Law so I was a little sceptical. Thanks again
Miss ISE
Rep:
(Original post by sj27)
I know someone who did this course. I don't know all the details you ask for, but undergrad was in development, and has worked in both the UK and EU parliaments since graduating.
Thank you, that's great to know Appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (106)
34.3%
Yes - a trusted person (88)
28.48%
No (82)
26.54%
I'm not sure (33)
10.68%

Watched Threads