The Student Room Group

Experience of breast examinations

I've had a painful lump in my breast for a while now and I know I need to get it checked out but I'm petrified of having a doctor examine me! Does anyone have any experience of what it's like?
Hi anon, I have never had a breast exam, but I am a medical student and have attended a few breast clinics so I've seen plenty of women undergo examinations. It is pretty quick, only takes about 5 minutes or so. You'll need to undress from the waist up and lie on an examination table with your arms behind your head, and the doctor will gently press on your breast with the flat of his fingers working in a spiral from the nipple outwards. Both breasts will be examined, usually the opposite side from your lump first. He may also press your breast tissue between his hands to feel for lumps. You will then typically be asked to sit up and hold your arm out while the doctor feels your armpits for any lumps. The examination is usually painless, but if your lump is painful it might be a bit tender when he presses on it. It is nothing to worry about - if you have any other questions just ask :smile:
I had a few in October and November. Had an ultrasound too but everything was fine. Its honestly really quick, it lasted 2-3 minutes - if that. It wasn't painful, wasn't uncomfortable and it takes such a weight off your shoulders when they tell you its nothing to worry about. Definitely go and get checked - its not as bad as you think, I promise! Anything else you want to know, just ask :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tibbles209

Original post by A.L. C-Brown

Thank you both for your reply, it made me feel a lot more relaxed! I've had the breast exam from the doctor now and got quite lucky as I had to lay down and pull my top/bra up which meant I didn't feel totally exposed! I've been referred for more tests but I've stopped worrying as much now.

Quick Reply

Latest