The Student Room Group

Will I be EXCLUDED from College? **PLEASE HELP**

Im 18 and preparing for University interviews at top Uni's in my chosen subject of Film/TV, currently I am in college (UK college) and on my second year of my media course. I am predicted top grades of DDD which is equivalent to three A's I believe, so generally things have gone very well for me due to my hard work after turning my life around, as I was terrible in high school leaving with minimal GCSE's.

I have been a good student on this course with one minor incident marked on my record for which I was completely innocent of, but today I was told severe action will be taken considering something I did earlier in the morning. Lately people have learned a way to control other peoples Mac computers in the same room as you and you are free to do anything you like. We have done it to our friends, and strangers who laughed about it when they found out specifically who was controlling their Mac. A guy was on his computer and during a break from the constant work I was doing I decided to mess with him in a joking manner, after telling him to look out the window etc etc I googled "homosexual" and clicked an image of two men hugging, I did not mean to apply any personal malice or negative connotation to the individual, it was spur of the moment stupidness which me and a couple friends found funny, not becuase we find homosexuality funny as we dont, but the idea of something googling it was amusing in the moment without considering consequences.

I was told the incident will be dealt with by the head of the whole college and is a stage 2 or stage 3 offense, and it does not look good because of the strong anti-bullying campaigns every insitution backs and employs nowdays and what I did could be interpreted as offensive. I could not feel my legs as I left, all my life changing hard work potentially flushed down the drain over something seemingly trivial, when considering what other people have got away with such as punching a teacher (accidentally) doing drugs etc I feel more comfortable but im still so scared of permanent exclusion meaning no university. Can anybody give any advice/idea of what will happen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your problem... you are a college level 3 student attending to gain Further Education. Grow up, many people would love the free education.

I have no sympathy in other words. We laughed at "gay" and "homosexual" in primary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Nobody can really tell you what will happen. You did something childish but thought of using an image of homosexuals, which in this day and age if seen to be mocked or used as an insult has extreme consequences.

You need to speak to the one who is going to discipline you and show them your previous good history. That's all you can do at the moment Amigo.

Have you apologised? Do it front of teachers/head etc
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Lord Jon
Your problem... you are a college level 3 student attending to gain Further Education. Grow up, many people would love the free education.

I have no sympathy in other words. We laughed at "gay" and "homosexual" in primary school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response, indeed I have grown up a lot in the past year and my current position/s prove it. Although I regret what I did, and appreciate the free education of which im entitled to, I dont think you are ignorant enough to dismiss occasional moments of stupidness/childish behaviour - whatever you want to call it. Its not an excuse but im only 18 and around close friends people do and say offensive stuff, I was a fool to include a stranger into our humour without considering he may react oppositely to us, I genuinely never considered it especially in such a impulsive and rash act. This is one of the first life lessons which will stick with me beyond these 18 years, to think carefully before doing anything not deemed proffesional in a working enviroment.

I dont want to have an internet argument, I just felt your comment to be a bit harsh but if you feel strongly enough about the issue then fair enough.
Reply 4
Original post by SMEGGGY
Nobody can really tell you what will happen. You did something childish but thought of using an image of homosexuals, which in this day and age if seen to be mocked or used as an insult has extreme consequences.

You need to speak to the one who is going to discipline you and show them your previous good history. That's all you can do at the moment Amigo.

Have you apologised? Do it front of teachers/head etc
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I have not had the opportunity to apoligise yet but I will, im sure if I have the chance to defend myself and my right to stay on the course I will be fine im just worried I will be excluded straight away.
Reply 5
Original post by blu95
Im 18 and preparing for University interviews at top Uni's in my chosen subject of Film/TV, currently I am in college (UK college) and on my second year of my media course. I am predicted top grades of DDD which is equivalent to three A's I believe, so generally things have gone very well for me due to my hard work after turning my life around, as I was terrible in high school leaving with minimal GCSE's.

I have been a good student on this course with one minor incident marked on my record for which I was completely innocent of, but today I was told severe action will be taken considering something I did earlier in the morning. Lately people have learned a way to control other peoples Mac computers in the same room as you and you are free to do anything you like. We have done it to our friends, and strangers who laughed about it when they found out specifically who was controlling their Mac. A guy was on his computer and during a break from the constant work I was doing I decided to mess with him in a joking manner, after telling him to look out the window etc etc I googled "homosexual" and clicked an image of two men hugging, I did not mean to apply any personal malice or negative connotation to the individual, it was spur of the moment stupidness which me and a couple friends found funny, not becuase we find homosexuality funny as we dont, but the idea of something googling it was amusing in the moment without considering consequences.

I was told the incident will be dealt with by the head of the whole college and is a stage 2 or stage 3 offense, and it does not look good because of the strong anti-bullying campaigns every insitution backs and employs nowdays and what I did could be interpreted as offensive. I could not feel my legs as I left, all my life changing hard work potentially flushed down the drain over something seemingly trivial, when considering what other people have got away with such as punching a teacher (accidentally) doing drugs etc I feel more comfortable but im still so scared of permanent exclusion meaning no university. Can anybody give any advice/idea of what will happen?

to be honest I doubt it. Your still young, and for whatever reason everyone has done childish stuff around that age. Just let them know how sorry you are, what a stupid thing it was to do, and you really didn't mean any malice by it etc... They won't kick you out over something so trivial, just offer to apologise to that person before they suggest you need to, if that hasn't happened already. Keep your head down, get on with your work and go get yourself a place at uni.
You won't get excluded. They have to go through so much hassle to exclude someone.
Reply 7
Original post by MkGuy
to be honest I doubt it. Your still young, and for whatever reason everyone has done childish stuff around that age. Just let them know how sorry you are, what a stupid thing it was to do, and you really didn't mean any malice by it etc... They won't kick you out over something so trivial, just offer to apologise to that person before they suggest you need to, if that hasn't happened already. Keep your head down, get on with your work and go get yourself a place at uni.

Thanks pal, thats what I aim to do.
Reply 8
Original post by paradoxicalme
You won't get excluded. They have to go through so much hassle to exclude someone.

Thanks a lot for that info, would you mind elaborating on the hassle it causes them? cheers mate
Reply 9
Original post by blu95
Well I do it by the second, it is indeed, inevitable.

Just demonstrating how childish you are. You deserve to be excluded.
Original post by blu95
Thanks a lot for that info, would you mind elaborating on the hassle it causes them? cheers mate

Excluding people makes the school look bad, so they won't want to do it, and even if they do want to do it, the governors/school owners probably won't want them to do it.

What you did was childish. You might get suspended for a day or so, but that normally doesn't go on your permanent record.
Reply 11
Original post by paradoxicalme
Excluding people makes the school look bad, so they won't want to do it, and even if they do want to do it, the governors/school owners probably won't want them to do it.

What you did was childish. You might get suspended for a day or so, but that normally doesn't go on your permanent record.

This is good to know and I appreciate it, I feel more comfortable. Its no secret more students progessing to Uni is great for a college, so im sure they would not want to kick somebody out when they are months away from moving on. But then saying that, they have to be strict on "bullying" especially something deemed sexual, I just hope a suspension is severe enough as a punishement.
Reply 12
Original post by blu95
Thanks for the response, indeed I have grown up a lot in the past year and my current position/s prove it. Although I regret what I did, and appreciate the free education of which im entitled to, I dont think you are ignorant enough to dismiss occasional moments of stupidness/childish behaviour - whatever you want to call it. Its not an excuse but im only 18 and around close friends people do and say offensive stuff, I was a fool to include a stranger into our humour without considering he may react oppositely to us, I genuinely never considered it especially in such a impulsive and rash act. This is one of the first life lessons which will stick with me beyond these 18 years, to think carefully before doing anything not deemed proffesional in a working enviroment.

I dont want to have an internet argument, I just felt your comment to be a bit harsh but if you feel strongly enough about the issue then fair enough.

If it makes you feel better, they are very unlikely to exclude you as it actually has a very harsh effect on the college. More than most of us would think. Statistics drops and they have a big gap in the budget as they've lost a student that they've spent money on but the government won't give funding for. Because the government award FE colleges funding for each individual student AFTER you complete the course successfully and are in college for a set level of attendance! (Which is why college is hot on everyone's attendance)

But your behaviour really was stupid and you are really silly. Silly one off is fine but your behaviour was somewhat homophobic and can also destroy college reputation not to mention if that lad really was lgbt but didn't come out... you've not done him very well have you?

You say my comment previous was harsh but maybe your behaviour is worse considering people often kill themselves over such bullying that some may see as "harmless" or "small"! Hopefully you'll learn a lesson....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
What's all this talk about permanent record. Those are a myth! There is no permanent record!
It depends on references.

If someone who likes or is overall positive about you is writing it, you'll be fine! If they are mean or just indifferent then you're screwed. No "record" follows you from cradle to grave!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Wow people in this thread. No one acts fully mature 100% of the time once they're past a certain age. We all have our moments. At least the OP is acknowledging his mistake and attempting to make amends. Posters like Lord Jon and Alow could also do with a case of 'growing up' with their no sympathy.
Reply 15
Original post by Lord Jon
If it makes you feel better, they are very unlikely to exclude you as it actually has a very harsh effect on the college. More than most of us would think. Statistics drops and they have a big gap in the budget as they've lost a student that they've spent money on but the government won't give funding for. Because the government award FE colleges funding for each individual student AFTER you complete the course successfully and are in college for a set level of attendance! (Which is why college is hot on everyone's attendance)

But your behaviour really was stupid and you are really silly. Silly one off is fine but your behaviour was somewhat homophobic and can also destroy college reputation not to mention if that lad really was lgbt but didn't come out... you've not done him very well have you?

You say my comment previous was harsh but maybe your behaviour is worse considering people often kill themselves over such bullying that some may see as "harmless" or "small"! Hopefully you'll learn a lesson....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response that puts a lot of things in perspective and yeah I have considered that aspect of what I did, more so if it was a personal attack or had any indication of one such as if I typed "you are a h....". Can it be deemed bullying when it clearly was not a personal attack because we dont know each other at all? it was a case of finding the google results amusing on somebody elses screen in the moment. BTW im not arguing against you because I agree with everything im just exercising my account and perspective of what I did, and the motive behind it which can be misconstrued. Honestly im not a homophobe, there are gay people in my family, neither would I intentionally bully somebody but obviously I learnt today certain actions easily can be interpreted as bullying.

I think the fact I simply typed "homosexual" on google (not dismissing the fact it was childish and stupid) is not as bad as calling him one, unless you know the person it is hard to imagine it a personal attack. Equally the bad connotations associated with me typing "homosexual" could be explained as good ones. But I definitely agree with your point, and I definitely will take seconds to think before I act in such situations again. Thanks for your response, its nice to know I can learn from this and hopefully not have it affect my life drastically, do you have anything else to say on the matter? maybe my views still need educating I dont know....
Reply 16
Original post by blu95
Then you have no reason to keep responding to try insult me, lighten up pal.

True dat.

By the way I don't think there is a single top university that offers a Film/TV degree.
Reply 17
Original post by Fat-Love
Wow people in this thread. No one acts fully mature 100% of the time once they're past a certain age. We all have our moments. At least the OP is acknowledging his mistake and attempting to make amends. Posters like Lord Jon and Alow could also do with a case of 'growing up' with their no sympathy.

Thank you, I did make that point to those posters and I think Lord Jon understood one I made it. I just hope I ill be given a second chance after today
Reply 18
Original post by alow
True dat.

By the way I don't think there is a single top university that offers a Film/TV degree.

Wow talk about being childish lol thats funny, only an actual child could be such a hypocrite. And it looks like you need educating a little bit. Id be happy to inform you seeing as you cared enough to state that, would you like to know the top Universities for TV or Film? here is a little statistic, one of them has an employment rate of 100% 6 months after the course...
Reply 19
Original post by blu95
Wow talk about being childish lol thats funny, only an actual child could be such a hypocrite. And it looks like you need educating a little bit. Id be happy to inform you seeing as you cared enough to state that, would you like to know the top Universities for TV or Film? here is a little statistic, one of them has an employment rate of 100% 6 months after the course...

Notice I didn't say 'top university for TV/Film' I said 'top university that offers TV/Film'

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending