Want to get into Drama School, what should I look to study next year?

Watch
actorboy1997
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello everyone,,,

I'm new here and was wondering if I should go onto study BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts next year or A-Levels. I am in Year 12 now and studying the Level 2 BTEC Diploma in Performing Arts in which I am predicted DDD and I love the course! I got 5 Cs, 1 A,,, 1 B, 1 Credit and 2 Ds (in science) at GCSE last year.

I definately want to go to Drama School after college but I am really struggling on what to decide to take next year, I have made some amazing friends who are going onto the Level 3 next year. I have an audition for a production of Wind in the Willows soon and I have some workshops coming up with Matthew Bournes company and a possible audition. I also have 5 1/4 years experience at Stagecoach School of the Dramatic Arts, 1 years experience and a local Drama club and a Pass in a LAMDA Grade 3. There is a possibility that I will be joining a local acting italia conti group soon if I can get the money (its 1 hour every saturday).

If I took A-Level I would take: History, English Lit, English Lang and Politics as Drama is not offered where I am or anywhere locally.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks everyone!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you had a look at the entry requirements for some courses that you're interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
actorboy1997
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Have you had a look at the entry requirements for some courses that you're interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah and they are all pretty open as they value the audition the most and I am only interested in BA (Hons) Acting. I have 8 unis I hope to apply to (see below with entry requirements I typed up). Do you think it will be the same in a couple years?

UAL
Audition and recall process.

Guildhall
BTEC Extended Diploma in Performing Arts at PPP
Audition and recall process.

Italia Conti
Audition and Interview process.
160 UCAS points.
C in GCSE English.
BTEC Extended Diploma in Performing Arts is accepted.

Guildford
Audition and Interview process.
BTEC Extended Diploma in Performing Arts at DDM

LAMDA
Audition process.

Central
Audition process.
BTEC would be considered.

RADA
Audition Process.

Oxford School of Drama
Audition Process.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
These are not 'academic courses' - ie. not like studying Drama at a University - they are practical courses designed to train you as a performer. That is what they will be looking for.

However, if you are applying to the the more reputable Drama Schools (ie. not Italia Conti, UAL or Oxford) you must be able to show that you are literate enough/well educated enough to deal with text, and have a good understanding of historical period and language. So the A level subjects you are thinking of are good ones. You do not need A level Drama to get into Drama School.

Remember that most of the good Drama Schools will run summer classes etc for Year 12/13 students. These are well worth going to. One example - http://www.oldvic.ac.uk/short-courses.html. Or http://www.bruford.ac.uk/courses/summer-school-.aspx
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A pass at LAMDA Grade 3 and nothing else sounds a bit odd to me for someone who has been in so many drama groups and who wants to apply to the drama schools. Unless of course your drama group has made you start from Grade 1, which would strike me as odd. Maybe getting through a much (much) higher grade would give you a better idea of whether you should be applying for the more traditional schools or not? I wouldn't personally start anywhere below Grade 6.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads