Why are some people so obsessed with dress sense? Watch

bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Now, of course people who dress like paupers are exempt from this as next to nobody wants somebody who looks like they've been sleeping rough if they have the choice.

I hear dress sense of a partner being mentioned as a potential precursor to a relationship on this forum a lot. While this is not mentioned so much in real life(although this forum is a manifestation of people's thoughts in real life so is most likely applicable to real life) I hear a lot of people talk about dress sense and say that if the person you see have a certain dress sense, you're more likely to like a girl/guy. I ask why are you guys and girls so obsessed and so judgemental?

Although I'm not trying to make this about me, I wear whatever I want to, I don't look like a bum and dress appropriately, but people say they hate it when somebody wears a tracksuit, or people complain when somebody is wearing chinos and thick frame glasses or the colours don't match amazingly well with their shirt and their jeans. Why should you care about that? They can wear what they want to. Sorry if this sounds jumbled.
andrew2209
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I personally feel it's down to the fact that dress sense can reflect your personality as a whole, and a certain dress sense may be seen in a negative way.

Just my two cents.
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not something I've really noticed on these forums tbh. In real life it does seem that people who dress well tend to have partners who dress well too. I guess it's just one more thing they have in common. Doesn't bother me at all tbh.
bj27
Rep:
?
(Original post by andrew2209)
I personally feel it's down to the fact that dress sense can reflect your personality as a whole, and a certain dress sense may be seen in a negative way.

Just my two cents.
I agree with that, but people need to stop being judgemental, some of my mates only wear tracksuits and nike era caps, some of my mates wear chinos and wear thick framed glasses. Does it make me less likely to look at somebody or like them less? Na.

Like personally, if a girl covers herself in a turtleneck, I'd find her as attractive as if she was wearing something else more fashionable. Like of course if she wears less clothing she's more attractive(but that's a given) but I don't see the difference between a woman wearing a tracksuit and a woman wearing more typical clothes tbh (provided they don't change their makeup etc. when wearing different outfits)
katiedhodgson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bammy jastard 27)
Now, of course people who dress like paupers are exempt from this as next to nobody wants somebody who looks like they've been sleeping rough if they have the choice.

I hear dress sense of a partner being mentioned as a potential precursor to a relationship on this forum a lot. While this is not mentioned so much in real life(although this forum is a manifestation of people's thoughts in real life so is most likely applicable to real life) I hear a lot of people talk about dress sense and say that if the person you see have a certain dress sense, you're more likely to like a girl/guy. I ask why are you guys and girls so obsessed and so judgemental?

Although I'm not trying to make this about me, I wear whatever I want to, I don't look like a bum and dress appropriately, but people say they hate it when somebody wears a tracksuit, or people complain when somebody is wearing chinos and thick frame glasses or the colours don't match amazingly well with their shirt and their jeans. Why should you care about that? They can wear what they want to. Sorry if this sounds jumbled.
Everyone has different opinions and personally I think if you're so caught up in what your potential partner is wearing and not what they're like you're a fool. However that being said its a scientific fact that everyone judges new people on the basis of their appearance and clothing is a factor of this. Therefore a sense of style works aptly as it intrigues people. I just wear black though because then you don't have to worry about colour clashes and what not.
bj27
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiedhodgson)
Everyone has different opinions and personally I think if you're so caught up in what your potential partner is wearing and not what they're like you're a fool. However that being said its a scientific fact that everyone judges new people on the basis of their appearance and clothing is a factor of this. Therefore a sense of style works aptly as it intrigues people. I just wear black though because then you don't have to worry about colour clashes and what not.
I agree that it's wired into our brains. Don't see why we really should judge people on this, its the 21st century, not medieval times. I understand why we'd look at people's appearance back in the days in what they're wearing but I don't see why now.

I generally wear a blue/green hoodie or a cardigan/jumper with jeans/tracksuit/jogging bottoms and trainers. It's nothing special, just casual.
benplumley
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I suppose on a biological level, good fashion sense is attractive because it implies wealth, which in turn implies a partner who will be able to provide for a potential future family. There are a whole load of social reasons as well, plus the fact that fashionable clothes tend to accent attractive features.
Treeroy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It says something about you, and good dress sense can be super hot

And the end of the day, the reason people want to have a good dress sense is because other people will judge them for it, whether that's reasonable or not.
cuckoo99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

The way you dress is usually a reflection of your place in society, or how you feel within it.
bj27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Treeroy)
It says something about you, and good dress sense can be super hot

And the end of the day, the reason people want to have a good dress sense is because other people will judge them for it, whether that's reasonable or not.
Agree here. But I find it quite sad that people are willing to pay 100s of pounds on something just so their friends will like it. It's absurd to me.

I'm not going to act like I've never splashed the cash or looked for something that looks really nice, but I do it for myself, I do shopping by myself too. I don't do it because 'my friend thinks its nice'
(Original post by cuckoo99)
The way you dress is usually a reflection of your place in society, or how you feel within it.
I guess. I've got a lot of problems with society tbf and how it should be, but that's another thread for another day.
katiedhodgson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exactly, simplicity is key! If they care some much about appearance they'll be high maintenance bells/superficial bells going off in your head. Pardon the colloquialism it's late I'm tired. Everyone's a mystery just thankful others think this way. My close friends are the girls who reapply their makeup 100000000 times a day (no exaggeration ) and they look at me like I'm an alien dropped from space if I wear docs or something. It's upsetting
seanbolton94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"Dressing well is a kind of good manners, if you ask me. When you’re standing in a room, your effect is the same as a chair’s effect, or a sculpture’s. You’re part of someone’s view, you’re part of that world, and so you should dress well. I find it’s a show of respect to try to put on your best face and look as good as you can." - Tom Ford
bingbashbosh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I dont think I dress that well but I couldn't go out wearing things like tracksuit bottoms lol
bj27
Rep:
?
(Original post by bingbashbosh)
I dont think I dress that well but I couldn't go out wearing things like tracksuit bottoms lol
I don't see the problem, if you're going for a run or you're going to the shops I don't see why not tbh. :dontknow:
Precious Illusions
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
I don't see the problem, if you're going for a run or you're going to the shops I don't see why not tbh. :dontknow:
Yeah this, if I'm just going to the shops or something I'll wear PJs if I can get away with it :ninja: I think it's more about people not making an effort y'know? E.g if you go on a date with someone and they turn up in a tracksuit, suggests they couldn't be bothered. But, generally I'd rather people be comfortable and wear what they like.
So Instinct
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is the first thing many do when they see someone? Judge their looks, dress sense and other aesthetics.
If you want to make a good first impression then dress sense/looks/smell become important, especially if you're looking to gain a sexual partner. Considering you could meet a future partner anywhere/way do you want to let that slip away due to bad first impression?
Silver Arrows
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Jeans & a t-shirt. I don't think I'll ever be one of these people who wear these skinny coloured chinos thingys with the chequered shirts. I wouldn't start wearing that if it was what my partner wanted.
Seathestars
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like to wear half decent clothes but I won't wear clothes just because they're fashionable. People are sheep to answer your question directly.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really don't think it's anything complicated or weird. I think that it is very simple: people who make an effort with clothes are attracted to people who also make an effort with clothes, because they have something in common. It's like people who have a certain hobby are attracted to people who have the same hobby. So if you don't like to make a big effort with clothing = no problem at all, there are plenty of other people who also don't make a big effort. I really don't see why it would bother anyone!
Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I buy a lot of clothes, i'd consider myself a one man business on Asos the amount of orders I make. Most of the stuff I buy though is not massively influenced by other peoples opinions but my own and whether I like it or not, of course I will ask peoples opinions every now and then but I think that's natural for people to want to look good and show off their style for other people. In the end I make the final decision.

I don't see the problem though really. You could easily be obsessed with something that someone else thinks is absolutely ridiculous in the same way you feel about people obsessed with dress sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (275)
60.98%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.88%
No- I want it (120)
26.61%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.54%

Watched Threads