Nature vs nurture theories. Anybody? Watch

Kellyxo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys
So I've recently been set the essay title of
"Critically discuss the evidence for the influences of nature and nurture on children’s development."

So far I've spoken about studies of twins and down syndrome but I can't think of any more arguments for the nature side? I was just starting to put the attachment theory in that Bowlby came up with, but I don't really understand how attachment is genetically inherited?

Also can anybody come up with anymore theories or studies I can put in this for nature and nurture?
WoodenTurtles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe the Kagan and Snidman experiment, works for nature as it's down to inherited differences
akash11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't remember the exact study but a colardo adoption study that lasted for over 30 years looked at IQs from children, rasied by biological and adoptive parents from birth. Shockingly, the study found that the correlation of IQ between children and their biological parents who did not raise them and children's who's biological parents had raised them, was the same.
Mephestic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kellyxo)
Hey guys
So I've recently been set the essay title of
"Critically discuss the evidence for the influences of nature and nurture on children’s development."

So far I've spoken about studies of twins and down syndrome but I can't think of any more arguments for the nature side? I was just starting to put the attachment theory in that Bowlby came up with, but I don't really understand how attachment is genetically inherited?

Also can anybody come up with anymore theories or studies I can put in this for nature and nurture?
If I remember correctly bowlby proposed we have this innate type of programming that pushes us to develop attachments (hence nature) however this attachment and its quality is based on nurture.

You'll have to read bowlbys description of attachment theory to understand fully what hes proposing and simply look at the elements he proposes is innate and preprogrammed. Its been a while since I did psya1 apologies.

--------
AQA Psychology A* Model Essay answers available here in PDF format:

http://www.loopa.co.uk/shop
Read the reviews too from past students!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%