The Student Room Group

Which Uni for an Engineering MSc?

Hi guys,

I need advice with choosing a Uni for an Engineering MSc course.

But here is some background first:

I am currently in the final year of the BEng Degree with Open University.

I have 7 years industry experience in a global automotive manufacturing company. The company has excellent career growth opportunities. I have moved up the ranks in those years after starting out as an apprentice, then moving onto hourly paid craft-man and recently moving up to a staff position and working currently as a diesel calibration engineer.

So I am due to finish my BEng in Mechanical Engineering at the OU this academic year and I am thinking about doing an MSc to develop my CV futher as well as get CEng Status with the IMechE, however I really do not know which Uni to go to.

My main concern is that since I am already in employment for a long time and not looking to be joining graduate scheme or something similar, is it worth me going to a high end Uni like Imperial College or one of others where the level of work required is much harder. Especially since I will also be working 40-50 hours per week and trying to have a social life in the same time.

Or is it more logical to study at one of the medium level Uni's which feature an IMechE Approved MSc Course. That way I still get the MSc, CEng status and more time to enjoy life outside of work/education.

However, does the name of the Uni I go to will influence my employment prospects in the future? Or will the employers be looking mostly as my already extensive work experience and not pay much attention to the Uni, as long as I have done an MSc and got the CEng status?

Please advice if someone has relevant knowledge on these matters.
I know at the firm I work at, they're not bothered about brand names, so a lot of people who need a masters degree for chartership just go to one of the local universities (and often do it part time).
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I know at the firm I work at, they're not bothered about brand names, so a lot of people who need a masters degree for chartership just go to one of the local universities (and often do it part time).

I agree with Smack - if possible, I would also ask around in your firm what they'd recommend where to go and what to do to progress your career further.

But generally speaking, those big name universities don't really cater that well to professionals, though this may be different for engineering - Cardiff for example is a terrible university for part-time studies but got a fairly good MSc in Professional Engineering (part-time): http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/postgraduate/course/detail/p262.html
Original post by eng2014
Hi guys,

I need advice with choosing a Uni for an Engineering MSc course.

But here is some background first:

I am currently in the final year of the BEng Degree with Open University.

I have 7 years industry experience in a global automotive manufacturing company. The company has excellent career growth opportunities. I have moved up the ranks in those years after starting out as an apprentice, then moving onto hourly paid craft-man and recently moving up to a staff position and working currently as a diesel calibration engineer.

So I am due to finish my BEng in Mechanical Engineering at the OU this academic year and I am thinking about doing an MSc to develop my CV futher as well as get CEng Status with the IMechE, however I really do not know which Uni to go to.

My main concern is that since I am already in employment for a long time and not looking to be joining graduate scheme or something similar, is it worth me going to a high end Uni like Imperial College or one of others where the level of work required is much harder. Especially since I will also be working 40-50 hours per week and trying to have a social life in the same time.

Or is it more logical to study at one of the medium level Uni's which feature an IMechE Approved MSc Course. That way I still get the MSc, CEng status and more time to enjoy life outside of work/education.

However, does the name of the Uni I go to will influence my employment prospects in the future? Or will the employers be looking mostly as my already extensive work experience and not pay much attention to the Uni, as long as I have done an MSc and got the CEng status?

Please advice if someone has relevant knowledge on these matters.

As you are already having a job and don't seem to dream of doing a PHD and/or your company has some tight links with a certain university, it won't matter. You still have to perform at your work place, too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending