What is learning disability diagnostic assessment for adults like? Watch

zactissue
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Apprently it's 3-4 hours long. Anyone has any experience on this? What does it involve? I have one next week and I'm quite nervous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What learning disability is it for? Mine (ASD) was only 2 hours.
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found the process for applying for DSA (for a helper and coloured overlays etc) as stressful as floundering through Uni with no support. I was statemented and had a laptop for exams in secondary school and sixth form no problem, but they wanted me to go to all these scary buildings and fill out forms (the kind I need help with in the first place...) and my GP wanted £50 to disclose my medical evidence to the DSA people :/ Made my head spin, so I gave up and have just been train wrecking through uni...

Anyway I was told they are meant to be 3 hours but I think they just give the maximum allotted time so you can clear your schedule and not be distracted with other commitments. Best of luck and hope you get the help you need. It means the difference between success and failure, trust me.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little Wolf Taima)
I found the process for applying for DSA (for a helper and coloured overlays etc) as stressful as floundering through Uni with no support. I was statemented and had a laptop for exams in secondary school and sixth form no problem, but they wanted me to go to all these scary buildings and fill out forms (the kind I need help with in the first place...) and my GP wanted £50 to disclose my medical evidence to the DSA people :/ Made my head spin, so I gave up and have just been train wrecking through uni...

Anyway I was told they are meant to be 3 hours but I think they just give the maximum allotted time so you can clear your schedule and not be distracted with other commitments. Best of luck and hope you get the help you need. It means the difference between success and failure, trust me.
:confused: We're not talking about DSA. We're talking about learning disability assessments for adults.
zactissue
Rep:
?
(Original post by OU Student)
What learning disability is it for? Mine (ASD) was only 2 hours.
It's for dyslexia. Thanks for your reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zactissue)
It's for dyslexia. Thanks for your reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been tested for Dyslexia too. It was about 6 years ago; so my memory is slightly hazey. Off the top of my head, I was tested in the following areas:
- Logic (had to put letters in order and had to put some pictures in order and had to copy a pattern)
- Spelling
- IQ Test
- General knowledge

Also sure there was something about the Ed Psych making up words and me having to say them.

Mine was cut a bit short I think. But it was on the basis that I am clearly not Dyslexic - my logic is too good.
technoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Zactissue,

I think in education people class Dyslexia as something called Specific Learning Difficulty.

Also there are different ways organisations and people class what a learning disability is. The NHS has a different criteria hence why Autism may come under it. Sometimes public organisations have to use different definitions of what a learning disability is.

Anyway, hope that helped,

Technoo.
rainbow_artist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My dyslexia assessment lasted around 4 hours, but it was also a dyspraxia and dyscalculia test too. There were lots of different mini things I had to do like reading hard words, reading sentences out loud, general knowledge, answering questions about something I'd just read, some maths questions, remembering a sequence of numbers, spelling, a short piece of writing, copying patterns, explaining the meaning of words. All sort really. Then at the end the lady doing the test went through my results with me and explained my strengths and weaknesses as well as that I was dyslexic and have dyscalculia and it then took two weeks for the proper full report to be written.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zactissue
Rep:
?
(Original post by OU Student)
I have been tested for Dyslexia too. It was about 6 years ago; so my memory is slightly hazey. Off the top of my head, I was tested in the following areas:
- Logic (had to put letters in order and had to put some pictures in order and had to copy a pattern)
- Spelling
- IQ Test
- General knowledge

Also sure there was something about the Ed Psych making up words and me having to say them.

Mine was cut a bit short I think. But it was on the basis that I am clearly not Dyslexic - my logic is too good.
Is being bad at logic a trait of dyslexic person?? I know some people who are dyslexic and excel at logic!

(Original post by technoo)
Hi Zactissue,

I think in education people class Dyslexia as something called Specific Learning Difficulty.

Also there are different ways organisations and people class what a learning disability is. The NHS has a different criteria hence why Autism may come under it. Sometimes public organisations have to use different definitions of what a learning disability is.

Anyway, hope that helped,

Technoo.
I see - cheers for that

(Original post by rainbow_artist)
My dyslexia assessment lasted around 4 hours, but it was also a dyspraxia and dyscalculia test too. There were lots of different mini things I had to do like reading hard words, reading sentences out loud, general knowledge, answering questions about something I'd just read, some maths questions, remembering a sequence of numbers, spelling, a short piece of writing, copying patterns, explaining the meaning of words. All sort really. Then at the end the lady doing the test went through my results with me and explained my strengths and weaknesses as well as that I was dyslexic and have dyscalculia and it then took two weeks for the proper full report to be written.
Just wondering, why general knowledge test?
Thanks btw I feel less nervous now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.65%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.39%
Not great so far... (212)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (115)
19.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed