How to improve GCSE history grade from A to A*?

Watch
owenbarlow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing the AQA History course and it's irritating me that I can't get that A*
Year11guy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't do History, I do Geography. However, in Geography we structure our answers as Point, Evidence, Explanation then Link it. I'm sure it's the same in History
Asciant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by owenbarlow)
I'm doing the AQA History course and it's irritating me that I can't get that A*
Specific knowledge, dates, examples and stuff. Make sure you include them
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by owenbarlow)
The best tip I can give you for GCSE is "Answer the Question". You can provide as much historical information and analysis as you want, but if that information isn't relevant to the question, you won't get the marks. Similarly, if you provide lots of relevant information but don't explain how that information answers the question, you also won't get the marks.
User1255194
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I did my History GCSE, I was getting B's throughout the year, I was pretty bad and my marks reflected that. Nearer the exam, I worked really hard. I separated days of revision into 'knowledge' and 'structure' days. After those we complete, I would do as many practice questions and try to mark them with a critical eye. In my experience, knowledge is fundamental; you will have this throughout the course, you can read up, make notes ect. - however you can remember and absorb info the best. (knowledge days were about learning the stuff you'll write about)

However, structure in my opinion is incredibly important. MAKE SURE you get a sheet from your teacher as to how to structure the 4, 9, 12, 16 mark questions. Make sure you have a point structure firmly in your mind when presenting your argument. I revised the hell out of structure, made sure I knew enough/significant knowledge to write a answer and I did very well. I believe I got the highest in the year, 2 100% modules, one module scored 98/100 and the other was coursework the year before when I did poorly.. 78/100 ish. All in all, 94%, A* - it worked.

Happy to go into more depth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.59%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.52%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.89%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.3%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.91%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.63%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.15%

Watched Threads