International Relations A level

Watch this thread
Yoon hee
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I wish to study international relations when I go to uni.
Would it help if I take Politics A level?
I was thinking Maths, History, Spanish and Politics
Also my teacher recommended me to take Further Maths
but I'm not very interested in majoring Maths in uni
If I do take it, will it help me get into good university even if I don't major Maths?
The third thing is I also wanted to do Business Studies and Psychology A Levels. Which options do you think will be the best?

So long story short

1. Do you think Maths History Politics Spanish would be a good combination
for someone who wants to study International Relations at uni?

2. Would taking Further Maths help me go to uni even if I do not major Maths or Economics and things like that?

3. What would be the best combination for me out of Maths History Politics Spanish Psychology Business Studies Further Maths Economics?

By the way I take English Lit&Lang Maths Biology Chemistry Physics Chinese Spanish Geography History GCSEs

Thanks
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Although many Unis don't specify any particular subjects at A level for IR, you will need to have some previous study of History or a social science like Politics or Sociology in order to sound convincing in your Personal Statement. Unis will want evidence that you are a) interested in the subject and b) have experience of reading and analysing text, and have appropriate essay writing skills.

Maths is a bit pointless in terms of IR but would be a useful AS level. History, Spanish and Politics would be a very good combination of subjects - you could even think about a combined subject degree like IR and Spanish.
enzobenzo
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Do International Relations - it's interesting and useful because you get a wider knowledge of what's going on around the world, and will prove to be a successful career choice for when you go to university. But then again, it's up to you
iheartdjokovic
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I really wouldn't advise doing FM - I took Govt & Politics, History, German, Maths and FM for AS with the intention to do Law at uni and really felt I was wasting my time on maths. Maths History Politics Spanish sounds great though
~ Aquamarine ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The first option if Maths, Politics, History and Spanish sounds best to me. Really I don't think Maths at A level is essential and no universities that I know of ask for it as a requirement. If you really wanted to do Psychology then you could substitute either Spanish or Maths for it
Yoon hee
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Cool thanks guys
One more thing, do you think I'll have to do Maths?
Because I don't really see why I need to do Maths when I want to study IR.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You need at least a C grade at GCSE Maths for most 'good' Universities, but AS or A level Maths is not needed for a degree in IR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (80)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (159)
37.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (117)
27.73%
It was TERRIBLE (66)
15.64%

Watched Threads