Objectively measure addiction when it's not a substance Watch

Beast unleashed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey everyone so i'm thinking about the idea of 'measuring addiction'
and often it's measured with how much time you spend on it
However what is the measurement for the amount of time spend in order to make you addictive to said thing?
for example if being addictive to something means doing it for 8hours+.
does 7 hours and 59 minutes make me not addicted??
I can't find a way to actually objectively measure it
mathsmathsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From wikipedia:

"Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences, or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors."

I guess time would be one way to measure how bad your addiction is. But if you spend 8 hours playing music every day, and are a successful musician and that works for you, and one hour doing heroin every day and it's wrecking your life, I'd say heroin is the addiction because it's the one having adverse consequences.

I suppose the two factors would be:

-the extent to which your behaviour is "continued" (time would be one measure of this).
-how bad the adverse consequences of the behaviour are (you could perhaps measure this by financial, health and emotional impact, and other things).
Beast unleashed
Rep:
?
"Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences' so if it doesn't have adverse consequences it isn't consider addictive?
cheers for the reply
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Beast unleashed)
"Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences' so if it doesn't have adverse consequences it isn't consider addictive?
cheers for the reply
I think the point is more that you would do it even if it had bad consequences, i.e. it is not a rational decision to carry on, but a compulsion.
hslt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
so if it doesn't have adverse consequences it isn't consider addictive?
Obviously!

Otherwise everyone would be 'addicted' to their job, or 'addicted' to eating, or 'addicted' to sleeping.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can Google. There are standard metrics for this sort of thing. Simple example: Q1. Do you ever lie about doing it ?

Q2. Do you spend more money than you can afford? etc...............
Beast unleashed
Rep:
?
Sure but everything regarding addiction to anything other than a chemical substance(drugs basically) is all subjective so how can it ever actually be true?
mathsmathsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sure but everything regarding addiction to anything other than a chemical substance(drugs basically) is all subjective so how can it ever actually be true?
Forum addiction could be true: if you stopped talking to everyone in real life and quit your job to talk to people on a forum, and you went onto the forum every day all day for years, and then lost your house because of it, it'd be repeated behaviour with adverse consequences, so it'd be an addiction by definition.
Beast unleashed
Rep:
?
True! but in theory could't everything have adverse consequences that takes up time?
for example
i have to work(takes up time)
because i have to work i can't take to my friends(
adverse consequences)
this example could be used and changed for everything
and by it's definition
everything could be seen as addiction
this is why i'm confused
mathsmathsmaths
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
True! but in theory could't everything have adverse consequences that takes up time?
for example
i have to work(takes up time)
because i have to work i can't take to my friends(
adverse consequences)
this example could be used and changed for everything
and by it's definition
everything could be seen as addiction
this is why i'm confused
I'd say if it overall has an adverse effect on you and it's repeated behaviour, it's an addiction.
OzWelsh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Beast - there's a concept of dependence on a substance (e.g. alcohol, opiates, benzodiazepines, nicotine) which results in you needing more of that substance in order to achieve the effects previously experienced with a lower dose and characterised by withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it. There are ways of quantifying this - how much substance is required per day, how many hours before you begin to crave it etc. Generally if someone is dependent on a substance we'd also describe them as being addicted to it.

But addiction is a broader description than dependence - it's also harder to quantify, certainly in any sort of quantitative way. That simple definition at the start of this thread is useful but you've already found a flaw in it so I'd go a bit further add the words "unacceptable and damaging" instead of adverse.

Also - I reckon you'd really enjoy studying philosophy!
Beast unleashed
Rep:
?
Adding unacceptable is open to interpretation a bit too much,maybe that it does harm to the person but how do you measure that if it's not necessarily harmful(like daydreaming)

i don't know i just find the definition way to broad and it just doesn't mean a whole lot when everything in theory can be described as addictive it looses all meaning.

I really do love philosophy and psychology! i'm actually a game design student and the frequent use of addiction and video game seem to come up all the time... it feels like a media buzz word than anything else
i personally prefer the word obsessive or compulsive,makes more sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%