The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry...

If I got a grade U in my mocks & am predicted an A, should I take tuition? I l already go to extra college sessions, I'm up to date with my notes, we do regular practice tests, we've got booklets for each topic, have a practical every week in preparation for ISA/EMPA, I've made flashcards-(almost on every revision site there is!!!) and I don't believe I'm going to get close to a C... What should I do?!?!?!
I really enjoy Chemistry but it seems the effort I put into it doesn't prevail, I also need Chemistry if I want to pursue Dentistry... The closer the exam(s) comes the more demotivated I feel... :|
Firstly, find out why you got a U on your mock. Did you run out of time? Is it exam technique? Was it a bad day? Are you revising but not retaining the information?

Secondly, speak to your teacher(s) and see what advice they give you on where you're going wrong and how to improve.

Thirdly, practice. Keep practising as many questions as you can and not just past papers. Try a-levelchemistry.co.uk for loads of questions and tests on each topic for AQA chemistry.

Don't give up, it may be difficult now but if you tackle the problem and overcome it then you'll feel rewarded and it'll all be worthwhile. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by smozsolution
Firstly, find out why you got a U on your mock. Did you run out of time? Is it exam technique? Was it a bad day? Are you revising but not retaining the information?

Secondly, speak to your teacher(s) and see what advice they give you on where you're going wrong and how to improve.

Thirdly, practice. Keep practising as many questions as you can and not just past papers. Try a-levelchemistry.co.uk for loads of questions and tests on each topic for AQA chemistry.

Don't give up, it may be difficult now but if you tackle the problem and overcome it then you'll feel rewarded and it'll all be worthwhile. Good luck :smile:

Thank You sooo much, that was confidence boosting!:smile:
Original post by Athena.
Thank You sooo much, that was confidence boosting!:smile:

You're welcome and I'm glad it was! I have moments in chemistry where I get like an E or a D and think "Why am I bothering with this?" but I always find it's best to pick myself back up again and overcome it. If you put the work in and follow what I've said then hopefully you'll be rewarded :smile:
Reply 4
I'm improving! I got an E in another (weekly) mock & that was with no revision! I did best on 1.1 & 1.2 as I'd done the practise exam questions from the textbook like 1-2 weeks ago! Practise does make (almost) perfect!

Thank You, your advise is something I will follow & stick with like super-glue! :wink:
Original post by Athena.
I'm improving! I got an E in another (weekly) mock & that was with no revision! I did best on 1.1 & 1.2 as I'd done the practise exam questions from the textbook like 1-2 weeks ago! Practise does make (almost) perfect!

Thank You, your advise is something I will follow & stick with like super-glue! :wink:

Well done! It's good to see the practice paying off and with time and effort, then it'll work in your favour. The more practice, the better.

You're welcome, if you ever need any other chemistry help then feel free to PM me and we can get through it together. :smile:
Reply 6
Well done! It's good to see the practice paying off and with time and effort, then it'll work in your favour. The more practice, the better.

You're welcome, if you ever need any other chemistry help then feel free to PM me and we can get through it together. :smile:

Hi, quick question,

When doing redox equations, we put the oxidation states in but do we times it by how many of each element there are e.g O is -2 but if i had O2 (small 2) would I have to multiply -2 by 2?!
Original post by Athena.
Hi, quick question,

When doing redox equations, we put the oxidation states in but do we times it by how many of each element there are e.g O is -2 but if i had O2 (small 2) would I have to multiply -2 by 2?!

I believe so. I've just finished the topic and that's what I've taught so yeah :smile:
Reply 8
In the exact same place as you, I've been doing past papers and not getting more than 52 which is an E, on my second attempt I get A but that's probably because I memorise the answers and not actually learn it. I use newcastle chemistry videos on YouTube for revision, they rock! Check the out they helped me loads. The thing I find hardest so far is synthesis routes in chem4 and ligand stuff in chem 5
Reply 9
I believe so. I've just finished the topic and that's what I've taught so yeah :smile:

Thanks, it was just today that I was writing up notes & in the the AS textbook it doesn't state whether it counts, on ions it does, but for e.g. MnO4 it shows a +7(Mn) & a -2(O2) but doesn't show any -4... (Page 161)

Quick Reply

Latest