Do you think its ethical to dig up old archaeological graves ?

Watch
GnomeMage
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Lots of example eg eygptions pyramid

Is it ethical to dig up all these graves of old monarchs in the name of archaeology?

Its like disturbing the dead.
JindleBrey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sure they don't mind.

Egyptian pharoes had their stuff taken out anyway . And their heart weighed against a feather which determined their fate.
JindleBrey
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How can a heart weigh less than a feather?
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We just dug up Richard III. Poor dude had been at rest in the municipal car park in Leicester for nigh on six centuries.
GnomeMage
Rep:
?
(Original post by Old_Simon)
We just dug up Richard III. Poor dude had been at rest in the municipal car park in Leicester for nigh on six centuries.
thats what i am talking about

is it morally acceptable to dig up someone's grave. i am sure no one(esp old kings) likes to have their grave dug up after he/she dies and your body become some kind of specimen for study.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GnomeMage)
thats what i am talking about

is it morally acceptable to dig up someone's grave. i am sure no one(esp old kings) likes to have their grave dug up after he/she dies and your body become some kind of specimen for study.
tbh I think he might be happier in York Cathedral !!!
scotttb
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GnomeMage)

I don't think anyone (esp old kings) dislike it either, on account of the fact that they are deceased.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is ethical, our desire to know what's down there will almost always supersede respecting the grave of someone who's not alive to care.
nmr1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if it's to make way for better transport links then yes
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah why not, who is hurt by it- it's not like they care, they're dead.
GnomeMage
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aoide)
Yeah why not, who is hurt by it- it's not like they care, they're dead.
they might be looking down from heaven and think "oh dear no please"

who knows?
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
tbh I think he might be happier in York Cathedral !!!
Shame they're carting him off to Leicester then.
technoo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP, I think for archaeological, historical and scientific purposes yes but ethically and morally I feel the same as you.
genuinelydense
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I see no reason to put people in the ground, given the economic climate. Throw them all in the bloody sea and let them become part of nature quicker by becoming fish food - it'll save the money that we use to feed the blood things (all for fish and chips :rolleyes:).

only reason it sounds shocking is because we are all indoctrinated. once we've peacefully died, why shouldn't our bodies be used for the benefit of humanity? Boo hoo, silly relatives can't visit the place where the corpse is lying in the ground - they should learn to move in quicker, before they're in the sea as well.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
Shame they're carting him off to Leicester then.
It is not certain yet. High Court case has been adjourned.
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is not certain yet. High Court case has been adjourned.
Oh really. For me York makes sense, I mean Leicester was the first place they thought to drag his mangled cadaver, I don't see how that makes it the right place. He was the last Yorkist king, he commissioned his mausoleum to be built in York (or so i've been told) so anywhere else doesn't really seem right.
Odd socks
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Unless they've got family that would be upset by it (and the ones that are dug up are so old that this is unlikely) then I don't think anyone is going to care. Especially not a dead body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
Oh really. For me York makes sense, I mean Leicester was the first place they thought to drag his mangled cadaver, I don't see how that makes it the right place. He was the last Yorkist king, he commissioned his mausoleum to be built in York (or so i've been told) so anywhere else doesn't really seem right.
I agree with you. York was the capital of the North and as the King's brother, Richard lived there a lot. It is a very important city. A Roman Emperor was crowned there and it has a very important cathedral. I am in favour of a mini state funeral. He was the last proper English King.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Odd socks)
Unless they've got family that would be upset by it (and the ones that are dug up are so old that this is unlikely) then I don't think anyone is going to care. Especially not a dead body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well they do have "family". A lot of descendants have issued legal proceedings to take possession of the body so he can be properly buried.
Odd socks
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well they do have "family". A lot of descendants have issued legal proceedings to take possession of the body so he can be properly buried.
Wait, are you talking about someone in particular? I was going on the OPs example of excavating pyramids. Those bodies are thousands of years old, and anyone was was a descendent would possibly not even know it.

I meant in contrast to someone saying the wanted to go dig up your granny, that would be upsetting to most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (860)
42.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.5%

Watched Threads