The Student Room Group

What fuel does your car use?

Poll

?

As title says, there will be a poll to.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This thread is far too mundane for the Chat forum.
Moved to motoring, and I clicked "petrol" but then afterwards saw the "hybrid" option, but it's still a petrol hybrid

You do get diesel hybrids btw (though not as common)
Petrol
You would, wouldn't you

I read somewhere that there aren't many diesel hybrids, because the petrol engine is just by it's nature, less efficient than a diesel engine, hence using "hybrid" technology in a petrol engine greatly increases efficiency, but it doesn't make as much a difference with diesel

Look at the VW golf blue motion. That'd diesel. That certainly beats any hybrid car I've seen (petrol/diesel) in terms of economy
Reply 5
Methanol. :cool:
Original post by JC.
Methanol. :cool:

Seriously? There are cars that run on methanol in the UK? I know (or think I know) that in Brazil they use that, or is it ethanol?

Also, it seems Im the only hybrid driver here :biggrin: (So far)
Reply 7
Diesel. Way forward I think.
Reply 8
Original post by de_monies
Seriously? There are cars that run on methanol in the UK? I know (or think I know) that in Brazil they use that, or is it ethanol?

Also, it seems Im the only hybrid driver here :biggrin: (So far)

:wink:
Reply 9
Never been big into diesels, generally always preferred petrol engined cars unless it is a big heavy one like a Land Rover then I like it as a diesel.

Cars I have :-

Volvo C70 = Petrol
Volvo 164 = Petrol
Volvo P1800 = Petrol
Land Rover Discover = Diesel

Still not too comfortable with the idea of buying an all electric car otherwise would love to buy a Tesla Model S.
i believe hydrogen fuel -electric hybrids are the way to go, as soon as they can figure out how to extract more power from a hydrogen combustion engine.

also biofuels should be more readily available. ethanol (acetic alcohol) was the original fuel used by the guy who founded mercedes benz and produces more power and less emissions than petrol (it does however destroy ur engine components so can be a bitch). the original diesel fuel was actually peanut oil. If you look at racing, biodiesel is a mixture of diesel and rapeseed oil (speaking of which, us rapeseed for cooking - it has less than 12% the saturated fat butter has)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Diesel, because it's got enough power to haul around a big old estate in which I can comfortably sit five people, or fold the seats down and fit an air bed in the back and go camping, while at the same time returning me over 500 miles to a 60 quid tank. Can't go wrong with that really.
Reply 12
Clearly haven't been in any good diesels. BMW make some amazing diesel engines, the engine in ours is a twin turbo and cracks 0-62mph in 7.0 seconds. Granted, it sounds like a tractor whilst doing it but 300ft lbs of torque is nothing to be sniffed at. Autocar called it a "brilliant engine".
Reply 13
Diesel, but i do drive quite long distances regularly.
Reply 14
red diesel
Reply 15
Hahaha, i like living life on the edge :biggrin:

[joking bro]
Puppies.
Most of the cars in my neighbourhood supposedly run on 'fairy dust'.
Original post by Alfissti
Never been big into diesels, generally always preferred petrol engined cars unless it is a big heavy one like a Land Rover then I like it as a diesel.

Cars I have :-

Volvo C70 = Petrol
Volvo 164 = Petrol
Volvo P1800 = Petrol
Land Rover Discover = Diesel

Still not too comfortable with the idea of buying an all electric car otherwise would love to buy a Tesla Model S.

I would personally prefer plug in hybrids ie: the new Chevrolet volt AND it's more fuel economical than pretty much every other car out there :biggrin:

Original post by addylad
Most of the cars in my neighbourhood supposedly run on 'fairy dust'.

aka?

I think we have some red diesel at work :biggrin: Though we also have a huge amount of diesel reserves, so if there's a fire...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by de_monies
I would personally prefer plug in hybrids ie: the new Chevrolet volt AND it's more fuel economical than pretty much every other car out there :biggrin:

Quite like a Volvo V60 Hybrid which is a plug-in hybrid but the pricetag on it is simply a bit much for what it is.

I tested the Opel Ampera, wasn't too impressed by it. It was unrefined and it felt more like an electric car with a range extender more than a hybrid in it's true form. Also felt very underpowered even with the mountain engine assist.

So far the best plug in hybrid I've tested that didn't cost a bomb was the Toyota Prius Plug-In, pretty good car for what it is though wish they gave a better interior.

Quick Reply

Latest